PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady uncomfortable in the pocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong, Brady is having a good season so far, but he definitely looks scared when he has to stand in the pocket for too long. He used to be so poised in the pocket and wouldn't care to take a hit. He was fearless. Does anyone think his performance has been hindered by his hesitation in the pocket? Perhaps he's just at a point in his career where it's better to play more conservatively. Any input on this?

If your referring to that play where he ducked Vs Broncos and no one was there, It was his O-lineman I believe. I don't think he scares but isn't natural to flinch when a QB is feelin pressure comin at you?

Its actually affecting his performance in a positive fashion because it is eliminating the turnovers that result from trying to extend a failed play.

Perhaps but hes on pace to have 4 straight seasons in which his sacks go up. Not exactly a trend I want to see a 35 year old Qb be part of.

09- sacks 16, QB hits, 70
10-sacks 25, Qb hits 52
11-sacks 32, Qb hits 71
12-sacks 38*, Qb hits 74*

In '10 he ave'd about 30 passes a game and every other year hes averaged between 35-38.

Last year he turned the ball over 18 times- the most since 06, so while that is not awful, its not great.

Is he feeling the pressure more? Not sure. Is he waiting longer for guys to get open? Maybe. Is his line worse? Not sure.

Last edited:
His performance has been good but it's very clear that he's not comfortable in the pocket at times. Many people that I've spoken with feel the same way.
He's comfortable enough to play the game at a high level. Also, I would say Brady has moved outside the pocket (effectively) much more this year than he has in seasons past.

Just becuase you feel you have some form of consensus doesn't mean you are right (or that I am right) either. While people are saying in general, they seem to keep referrign back to the same play.

Additionally, people may say that Brady is throwing the ball away too soon, but I'd liek to know how many seconds is too soon. for Brady, I bet he can generally tell you where players/defenders will be 2 seconds from the current point in time and would throw the ball away if he doesn't see a player about to get open.

Heck, even if his clock is a little dialed up, it makes sense given the ability of the offense, how much of a beating he has taken throughout seasons and it's affect on the post seasom. I'd prefer he feels as good as possible during the playoffs rather than soldiering through some injuries.

Don't get me wrong, Brady is having a good season so far, but he definitely looks scared when he has to stand in the pocket for too long. He used to be so poised in the pocket and wouldn't care to take a hit. He was fearless. Does anyone think his performance has been hindered by his hesitation in the pocket? Perhaps he's just at a point in his career where it's better to play more conservatively. Any input on this?

The Hits at 35 hurts alot more than they do at 25...just a hunch.;) I thought Brady looked very scared in the SB against that Giant D. But if i was in his shoes i would be scared of Tuck - Osi and Pierre Paul too.

Last edited:
The Hits at 35 hurts alot more than they do at 25...just a hunch.;) I thought Brady looked very scared in the SB against that Giant D. But if i was in his shoes i would be scared of Tuck - Osi and Pierre Paul too.

The superbowl was another game where Brady was rattled early. It seems whenever this happens, he is more apt to crumble.

Threads that open with don't get me wrong...or I know there are lots of threads on <fill in the blank> but I just had a thought...or I would never personally do this but...discuss... should be banned to the PS along with their OP's.

Last edited:
The superbowl was another game where Brady was rattled early. It seems whenever this happens, he is more apt to crumble.

Right. After the safety call he goes 13-15 or something like that passing and the team has the lead at 1/2 time....

Brady completed a record-breaking 16 consecutive passes in the Super Bowl. Could you please explain how that is crumbling?

Because Brady felt contact against the Broncos and it was his own lineman now he's suddenly been afraid of contact. It's as bad as the media using one play to make a blanket statement. Brady has great pocket presence but even he'll guess wrong from time to time. Ray Lewis bent his back into a U on a QB sneak last year but I seem to remember him having several this year for TDs and first-downs including this past weekend where he went airborne just like the one against the Ravens.

Ignorant...

How the hell is that ignorant? I didn't say he crumbled in the Superbowl. I meant that if he gets rattled, he tends to look more hesitant and will make mistakes. I won't argue with you because you're probably one of the most argumentative people on this forum.

If people are going to disagree with this, then that's pathetic and you're in denial.

Last edited:
Fighting Breast cancer is an important challenge as is the case with fighting all other killer diseases, BUT, come one now, the NFL is going far too overboard with this pink thing. DEVOTE ONE WEEKEND, HAVE ALL TEAMS WEAR SOMETHING PINK, OFFICIALS, COACHES, ETC.. AND THAT SHOULD BE MORE THAN ENOUGH.

How about purple for Gay Pride Month or Yellow for Multiple Sclerosis.

Point is, and once again let me say that I have nothing against wearing pink for the fight against Breast Cancer...but overkill is overkill.

Alfred- They are doing too little.

Lets keep the forum about Brady, bro.

Last edited:
It was weird seeing him duck with nobody around, I think he ducked twice on the same play. Maybe it's his internal clock saying, "you're gonna get drilled !", or maybe it's the pink colors. BUT, I don't think I've ever seen Brady or any other QB do this duck thing, kinda awkward and weird.

Has anyone in the media asked him about this?

Great example. That was pretty awful when he started 20/23 with 2TDs and set the SB record for consecutive completions.

ummm...what? :bricks:
Some of you guys are clueless. "Hey yeah, let's gang up on cheesemonkeys and act like we know what we're talking about!"... I didn't say that he crumbled in the superbowl. But there are 2 underlining factors that nobdy can deny. The giants brought pressure and Brady made at least one critical mistake. Sure, he recovered and the pats were winning at the half. Its evident to me that if Brady feels the pressure lately he's more "apt", and I won't say crumble, but he's more apt to hesistate and make mistakes that could cost them. And that goes for a lot of QBs but it never used to be an issue for Brady. I don't feel like it's a huge problem but it's worth discussing IMO.

Last edited:
Some of you guys are clueless. "Hey yeah, let's gang up on cheesemonkeys and act like we know what we're talking about!"... I didn't say that he crumbled in the superbowl. But there are 2 underlining factors that nobdy can deny. The giants brought pressure and Brady made at least one critical mistake. Sure, he recovered and the pats were winning at the half. Its evident to me that if Brady feels the pressure lately he's more "apt", and I won't say crumble, but he's more apt to hesistate and make mistakes that could cost them. And that goes for a lot of QBs but it never used to be an issue for Brady. I don't feel like it's a huge problem but it's worth discussing IMO.

CM...this is what you said..

The superbowl was another game where Brady was rattled early. It seems whenever this happens, he is more apt to crumble

The problem with this post is that despite the fact that he was called for the safety, he was completely in a zone and statistically-speaking was almost flawless.

Show me QB in NFL history that has not made a mistake when the kitchen sink is being thrown at him. Happens all the time. With Brady it happens less than anyone.

In addition, to cite your observation that he is more apt to crumble doesn't jive with his level of play over the last few years.

Last edited:
How the hell is that ignorant? I didn't say he crumbled in the Superbowl. I meant that if he gets rattled, he tends to look more hesitant and will make mistakes. I won't argue with you because you're probably one of the most argumentative people on this forum.

If people are going to disagree with this, then that's pathetic and you're in denial.
It is ignorant because Tom Brady doesnt get 'rattled'.
It is ignorant because Tom Brady doesn't crumble.
Me being argumentative is a lame excuse. You argument had nothing to do with my personality.
Your assertions are what is pathetic.
Apparently you think Brady is a big puuusssyyy and I am in denial that he is the best QB in the NFL and handles pressure exceedingly well.
If that is your position, we have no reason to discuss further.

A QB under pressure has less time to make a decision, and therefore by definition will make worse ones.
Tom Brady does not get rattled or crumble.
You are wrong.
Stop the oh poor me and realize everyone is disagreeing with you not to gang up on you for some strange reason, but because you are wrong.
If i say 2+2=3 and everyone disagrees, I'm a moron to say they are ganging on me and they don't know what they are talking about.
Its pretty much what happened here today with your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3