PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady shouldn't have said anything to Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a Special Olympian?

BTW, for your enlightenment:

http://news.dallasobserver.com/2007-09-13/news/off-the-short-bus/

Thanks for that link, shmessy. It does bring up an interesting argument amongst many in our circle. While I think S.O. are great in concept, I have problems with the completely non-competitive nature of them just as I do with my "typical" kids' sports leagues.

I have to say that our approach is more along the lines of Mr. Fleming's. Just raise him like a kid. We have fairly high expectations and don't assume "He can't do X" or "Won't do Y" just because someone else tells us so. Sure he won't be able to do some things but he's going to at least try them.

Or whatever his name was.

He's going to the HoF why beat up on a hapless guy. Just let it go.

Same with BB, kind of classless. Why bother with him?

Also, another thought. I think Rodney Harrison needs to teach Pats DBs how to tackle. You don't run up to the guy, stop, then reach out and bear hug him...you run up, use your body as a missile and take his legs out from under him. I saw Harrison give a couple devastating tackles like this...Samuel had a good one at the end of the game. Gay needs to learn this.
I do agree. I understand that this is a highly competitve sport, but I'd like to see the Pats do their talking with their play.

That being said however, one of my fav Pats moments is when Bruschi went nuts goin on about them changing the rules and the snow, that was classic.

Not to pile up on you Mr. McBee, but the use of the word '******ed' is hardly classy. If your reaction to the other posters leads you to use that word, perhaps you are asking too much of Brady and BB.
By the way, if you are looking for company in the 'BB and Brady are classless department', feel free to find a podcast of this morning's Mike and Mike segment with Ditka.

so ditka was on again about being classless ? he has been saying this since last yr's SD game

Steeler needs to learn how to STFU. I"m glad that Pat kicked Steeler's ass.

People don't put money where their mouth is. So much for a guarantee from a team and media.! It definitely is not worth a penny.

Last edited:
God bless you and your son CTPatsFan. but trying to get people to stop using this term on a fan board is senseless. Just understand the context in which it is being used. No one is mocking anyone less fortunate. But don't ever expect an NFL fanboard to become politically correct.

If it did, I'd probably stop coming here.

Trust me, Reign, I would never expect it. I'm far from PC myself. I bite my tongue (my fingers on a forum?) the majority of the time. The irony of the post was what caught me and generally what brings me out of the shadows on the subject.

While I disagree with the mocking point, I do recognize the fact that for some it's just a word that some have always used. I have a few friends and employees who know and love my kid but use "******" and "******ed" in conversation in front of me. Most of the time I just let it roll off my back, sometimes I'll make a snide comment back. Even before I had a kid with Ds it wasn't a word I used even though I admit to being non-PC. That said I don't understand why a racial or sexual preference related slur is considered more harmful and thus off the lexicon than one at the expense of someone who more likely can't defend themself.

Any way, no biggie. It happens all the time and most of the time I just scroll on by with nary a tought.

BTW, thanks for the kind words for us at the beginning of your post! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that link, shmessy. It does bring up an interesting argument amongst many in our circle. While I think S.O. are great in concept, I have problems with the completely non-competitive nature of them just as I do with my "typical" kids' sports leagues.

I have to say that our approach is more along the lines of Mr. Fleming's. Just raise him like a kid. We have fairly high expectations and don't assume "He can't do X" or "Won't do Y" just because someone else tells us so. Sure he won't be able to do some things but he's going to at least try them.

The sky is the limit for your son, CT, because he's fortunate to have a dad like you. As a fellow parent, your posts in the past on the subject have been very moving.

The problem here is that we're so familiar with our heros because of the 24/7 media availability.

We feel we know "Tommy," so we wish he were always a "nice guy." But the truth is that the greats of this game have always been hard-nosed and smash-mouth competitors. Do you think Otto Graham and Y.A. Tittle and Bart Starr were "nice guys" to their opponents? Do you think that they wouldn't have stomped on an opponents "private parts" if they had the chance and the ref wasn't looking?

I don't see how anyone could step between the lines of an NFL field, where 300 pound guys are launching their bodies like missiles in order to do their opponents bodily harm, without having a tough, nasty edge.

If you don't like it, look the other way until "Tommy's" all cleaned up after the game, dressed in his Armani's and smiling for the media and kids.

I actually think that the Patriots did a great job. Any of the other teams could have been worse. It is difficult to keep emotions out of a game that is THIS hyped up even for the Patriots. "Well done is better then well said"

According to Brady's interview yesterday, Smith was yelling at him on the field. I do not know if this was all before Brady spoke with him. But the person that Bumped Brady from behind had no real right or reason to do so. Then the hit on Eckel by Smith as Eckel was WALKING off the field after the play was completely over.... 15 yards unsportmanlike is not enough. A fine is not enough. That was a deliberate hit... on ECKEL! No real reason that anyone could see other then a child being miffed that he was shown for the age that he is... :(

It will be interesting to see some of these fines come in this week.

The word "******ed"? It's a legitimate medical word. What do you call those kids who are, um, ******ed? Class has nothing to do with it. Now if you called a ******ed guy "******", that wouldn't be classy.

******ed is not a legitimate medical word.

I'm not even sure that Brady taunted the guy. Its not taunting if Brady said something like "Maybe you'll keep your mouth shut next time" or "You've awakened a sleeping giant."

Even if Brady said "You're actions don't back up your words." I'd have no problem with that. Its just stating the obvious.

He's not a rookie.

You're right. He's a 2nd year player who has accomplished next to nothing in the NFL. I think that the same would still apply to him.

Stop the presses -- a player trash-talked on a football field.

When I watch the reply, it looks like Brady was in the EZ but walking back to the sideline. He abruptly turns toward Smith, as if Smith had just said something to him. Did anyone else notice this?

Maybe Ditka knows, but I have no idea what was said except that Brady himself indicated it was not nice. Everyone can guess, but that's all it is.

You're right. He's a 2nd year player who has accomplished next to nothing in the NFL. I think that the same would still apply to him.

Didn't he also say something about being a winner? On EEI, they said his Syracuse team was 13-22 (IIRC).

I think it's cool that Brady fires back at antagonists. Shows he cares. Not just another rich athlete who treats the game as an after-thought.

Trust me, Reign, I would never expect it. I'm far from PC myself. I bite my tongue (my fingers on a forum?) the majority of the time. The irony of the post was what caught me and generally what brings me out of the shadows on the subject.

While I disagree with the mocking point, I do recognize the fact that for some it's just a word that some have always used. I have a few friends and employees who know and love my kid but use "******" and "******ed" in conversation in front of me. Most of the time I just let it roll off my back, sometimes I'll make a snide comment back. Even before I had a kid with Ds it wasn't a word I used even though I admit to being non-PC. That said I don't understand why a racial or sexual preference related slur is considered more harmful and thus off the lexicon than one at the expense of someone who more likely can't defend themself.

Any way, no biggie. It happens all the time and most of the time I just scroll on by with nary a tought.

BTW, thanks for the kind words for us at the beginning of your post! :)

A few years back, a guy I worked beside told me his daughter was mentally challenged and that he didn't care for the use of the word ******ed. It hit home when he told me and I did my best not to use the word at work.

What it made me realize is that New England and specifically Boston, uses this word more than any other area of the country.

Lastly, I believe the use of this word is more accepted because it can be used amongst all the other PC groups, race, religion & sexual preference and it's not about hate. I know you may not agree, but I whole heartedly believe it's not about hate.

Or whatever his name was.

He's going to the HoF why beat up on a hapless guy. Just let it go.

Same with BB, kind of classless. Why bother with him needs to learn this.

You have to be the most media brainwashed dope around. What a sissy-azz dope of a thread this is.

Like that is the onlly junk spoken by !rady all game? Brady talks lots of crap every, get a clue.

Also, another thought. I think Rodney Harrison needs to teach Pats DBs how to tackle. You don't run up to the guy, stop, then reach out and bear hug him...you run up, use your body as a missile and take his legs out from under him. I saw Harrison give a couple devastating tackles like this...Samuel had a good one at the end of the game. Gay needs to learn this.

This says it all!

In your opinion breaking down, setting your feet and wrapping up is the improper way to tackle?

Did you ever play football?

Shoulder tackling or as you put it "use your body as a missile" is the most aggrivating thing to watch when your team's defense is doing it!

Unless of course you think the ESPN jacked up highlights are a good teaching aid for football coaches.

I have stayed away from threads started by a person who just a season ago had many, including myself, convinced he was a troll. Because his posts did not show a single hint that he rooted for the Patriots.

I am still not convinced he does. But I digress...

The only reason I read this thread was to point out the utter idiocy of this subject.

Let's all come to terms with the fact that these people (as others have pointed out) didn't reach the NFL by not being ultra competitive. Also the media hypocrisy is laughable as well. How many times have you seen Favre get in a LB's face or push a D-lineman? Only to have his actions praised (rightfully so, imo) but now the big, bad, classless etc..Patriots do it and suddenly it's beneath them.

I'm not big on taunting and dancing and all of that garbage. But I would much rather see that done on the field of play face-to-face than via the media.

Just me, I love the "new" Tom Brady.

An attitude -- bring it on!!!!!!

Smith created his own problems. Next time he may think twice before he speaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft