PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady restructures to save $7.2M against this year's cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way the Pats are spending all that money on more offense.

Probably not, but we could use the other picks on defense. It seems that our problems in the playoffs lately have been offensive and getting off the field on defense. Bill seems to be trying his hardest to go another year without a pass rush so i don't think our defense will be getting off the field anymore this year than it did last year. Only other way to improve the team is to get a guy that can push this offense over the top.

If I had a choice we'd just commit to the run and rebuild our defense and allow brady to just make the plays that need to be made instead of putting it all on his shoulders, but that's not happening with McDaniels back.

I really wonder if this means anything or Belicheck just wanted more space.......

It would be nice to fix the defense in a single season, but, we have Tom ****** Brady as our QB and this league has never favored the offense more than it does today. I could see us spending everything on offense and rebuilding the D and running game completely once TFB retires.

I don't know if I buy this rumor, actually I find it pretty unlikely to be true, but I wouldn't totally be shocked if that was the approach either. On the biggest stages last season it was our offense that faltered while the defense stepped up like it hadn't done all season.
In fairness to Deus, he had been trumpeting that the receivers outside of Welker had been pathetic for some time. In the Superbowl, we saw that. There's a definite need to upgrade receivers and the running game given the NFL landscape. That said, I'd feel somewhat safer with the D knowing they can get off the field giving the O better field position.

I know this is not the best source, but incarcerated bob is saying wallace is in contract talks with the bengals, patriots, and broncos. The talks with the bengals and patriots are serious. He was right about manning in Denver and a few other things so take it for what its worth.
Don't the Broncos and Bengals have FAR more cap space remaining the New England Patriots?

In fairness to Deus, he had been trumpeting that the receivers outside of Welker had been pathetic for some time. In the Superbowl, we saw that. There's a definite need to upgrade receivers and the running game given the NFL landscape. That said, I'd feel somewhat safer with the D knowing they can get off the field giving the O better field position.

I won't argue, but having an offense that can potentially score at will against any defense, especially ones who try to clog the middle of the field, would mask quite a few problems.

I'd love to have something that resembles a defense for a full season, but again, I wouldn't turn down one of the best deep threats in the NFL today.

Don't the Broncos and Bengals have FAR more cap space remaining the New England Patriots?

Unless he is asking for more money than we have that doesn't really matter. We have by far the best team of the 3 and certainly the best QB considering Manning is unproven after having multiple neck surgeries and missing a season while Brady is coming off of a 5200 yard season without having a #2 WR.

we're screwed...all this offensive tuning up that we'll never use...now that Tebow is on the Jets and he'll be part of that new ground and pound 35 play/go 90 yards every time offense being put together in Jersey...we should probably just sell the Patriots and wait it out for the next ten years until the Jets finally break up the juggernaut...

Unless he is asking for more money than we have that doesn't really matter. We have by far the best team of the 3 and certainly the best QB considering Manning is unproven after having multiple neck surgeries and missing a season while Brady is coming off of a 5200 yard season without having a #2 WR.

Exactly its up to him where he signs and we are by far the best team. I also would love a real defense and felt that if we went out and got a good corner and OLB in free agency we could get by with welker gronk and aaron because tom would have more opportunities to get points with these guys.

At this point however I'm wondering how realistic is it that our defense will see a massive leap? Rookies are rookies and no matter how good they are usually they won't be able to turn around a defense as abysmal as ours. Maybe getting an unstoppable offense and a defense that can be coached up is what belichick thinks is the best route to winning next year. This defense can be coached up and was serviceable in the playoffs, the offense aside from the scrimmage with the Broncos was just lacking something-a deep threat. Lloyd could fill this role, but if we have the money why not go for broke with Wallace.

In fairness to Deus, he had been trumpeting that the receivers outside of Welker had been pathetic for some time.
The New England Patriots have signed unrestricted free agent wide receivers Brandon Lloyd, Donte Stallworth, Anthony Gonzalez. Deion Branch has yet to re-sign with the New England Patriots.

There's a definite need to upgrade receivers and the running game given the NFL landscape.
The New England Patriots have four running backs under contract: Polite, Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead. Selecting a running back in the third round or fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft would be more cost effective than overspending in unrestricted free agency.

That said, I'd feel somewhat safer with the D knowing they can get off the field giving the O better field position.
Re-signing Andre Carter must be a priority since Mark Anderson signed with the Buffalo Bills.

I know this is not the best source, but incarcerated bob

Incarcerated Bob is like the "psychics" that charge $5 a minute.

Make 100 predictions, and a couple of them are bound to come true.

This is the same guy who said the Pats were looking to dump Welker.

Incarcerated Bob is like the "psychics" that charge $5 a minute.
Maybe Incarcerated Bob should be incarcerated in a Siberian prison without access to the outside world.

Last edited:
I hope he's right or that we have a great defensive draft :( I miss not having to look away on 3rd and long.

I won't argue, but having an offense that can potentially score at will against any defense, especially ones who try to clog the middle of the field, would mask quite a few problems.

I'd love to have something that resembles a defense for a full season, but again, I wouldn't turn down one of the best deep threats in the NFL today.
There's no such thing. Especially not in the playoffs. This magical offense that can "score at will" on any great playoff defense is a fairytale.

There's no such thing. Especially not in the playoffs. This magical offense that can "score at will" on any great playoff defense is a fairytale.

ok but our guys are allowed to mug theirs in the playoffs too, so doesn't it kind of mask a ****ty defense too? we had the second worst D in the league last year and in the playoffs it looked like a top ten one because they just didn't call holding or PI.

This is my football ignorance speaking, but lets say tomorrow we traded Wilfork for AP and signed Wallace, how would we ever lose? Yeah our defense would be really bad, but any opponent would have a few 3 and outs based off of their own incompetence alone and yet I think we'd score on every drive. We'd still hopefully grab a few more D players in the draft and the loss of Vince wouldn't be enormous. Help me out I know my logic is bad here but I just can't figure out where...

Last edited:
Now that we have Lloyd, Wallace isn't a sizeable upgrade on the offense. Draft a project WR, absolutely. But... Aside from some depth stuff, Brady has all he damn needs on offense. GIVE HIM SOME DEFENSIVE HELP.

Last edited:
Especially when injuries hit players whose names are Koppen, Gronkowski, Mankins, etc.

Now that we have Lloyd, Wallace isn't a sizeable upgrade on the offense. Draft a project WR, absolutely. But... Aside from some depth stuff, Brady has all he damn needs on offense. GIVE HIM SOME DEFENSIVE HELP.
If Matt Light and Brian Waters return for one final season, the only offensive position that may need upgrading is running back with the departure of BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

Especially when injuries hit players whose names are Koppen, Gronkowski, Mankins, etc.
Exactly. All a defense in the playoffs has to do is get good pressure on the QB and they can shutdown any offense no matter how many amazing skill position players they have. At this point I shouldn't really have to explain this to Patriot fans of all people. Also if the defense blows and can't get off the field, the opposing team can simply dominate time of possession and keep your amazing magical unstoppable offense on the bench. Which is what basically happened in the last SB. All offense no defense simply doesn't work against good teams in the playoffs, period.

I wonder if they will use some of this extra cap money to negotiate a long term deal for either Gronkowski or Hernandez.

The team cannot afford to let both TEs go without wrapping at least one of them up by the time both their rookie contracts expire in 2013

This is a must before next spring IMO

I wonder if they will use some of this extra cap money to negotiate a long term deal for either Gronkowski or Hernandez.
Andre Carter wants some that pass rush money doled out this year! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back