PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady restructures to save $7.2M against this year's cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now was this move to make another move for a player or pay for all the players added the last week.

Wallace is unlikely even if the Pats have the cap. I would rather spend a first rounder on LaDarius Webb, but even then I would say no.

Could a trade be in the works? The Giants want to trade Osi Umenyiora, but I don't know if the Pats would want to put the financial investment into him with his injury history and contract demands. The has been a lot of speculations of Jared Allen possibly being traded since the Vikes are rebuilding. More likely if there is a trade, it will be a lower profile player though.

Unfortunately, I think most of Brady's money will be to cover a lot of the deals already made.

Last edited:
Now was this move to make another move for a player or pay for all the players added the last week.

Wallace is unlikely even if the Pats have the cap. I would rather spend a first rounder on LaDarius Webb, but even then I would say no.

Could a trade be in the works? The Giants want to trade Osi Umenyiora, but I don't know if the Pats would want to put the financial investment into him with his injury history and contract demands. The has been a lot of speculations of Jared Allen possibly being traded since the Vikes are rebuilding. More likely if there is a trade, it will be a lower profile player though.

I would rather get Mathis K over Osi.

And the Patriots FO continues to show why they are the best in the NFL.

gH2ox.png

Lardarius Webb?

2012 New England Patriots Cornerbacks
Lardarius Webb
Devin McCourty
Ras-I Dowling
Kyle Arrington
Marquice Cole

2012 New England Patriots Safeties
Patrick Chung
Steve Gregory
Sterling Moore

Mark Barron or Harrison Smith in the 2012 NFL Draft

Actually, I may be wrong. Jason over at nyjetscap has the Pats with about $4.3 million in cap room after most of the signings (only Will Allen appears to be missing) and before Brady's cap savings. So the Pats should have about $11 million or so of cap space after those two moves.

New England Patriots Salary Cap 2012

Actually, I may be wrong. Jason over at nyjetscap has the Pats with about $4.3 million in cap room after most of the signings (only Will Allen appears to be missing) and before Brady's cap savings. So the Pats should have about $11 million or so of cap space after those two moves.

Ok. Minus 5m allocated to our 2012 draft class and we should have 6m. I highly doubt we sign people unless it's to a min deal. Need to keep around 5m in case of emergencies during the season.

Ok. Minus 5m allocated to our 2012 draft class and we should have 6m. I highly doubt we sign people unless it's to a min deal. Need to keep around 5m in case of emergencies during the season.

Well, they can get the $5 million buffer many ways. I mean Chad Ochocinco will either be cut or restructured saving about $1.5 million. Either Light will retire or restructure saving $3-5 million. If Welker agrees to a long term deal, it should save about $3 million.

If the Pats want to trade for a player who a decent sized base (there aren't really any free agents left who are worth getting that will get that big of a contract), they have plenty of options. I mean Fanene has the biggest cap hit of all the acquisitions and his cap number is only $2.3 million.

Last edited:
Sweet, let's go get Mario Williams! :(

Lardarius Webb?

2012 New England Patriots Cornerbacks
Lardarius Webb
Devin McCourty
Ras-I Dowling
Kyle Arrington
Marquice Cole

2012 New England Patriots Safeties
Patrick Chung
Steve Gregory
Sterling Moore

Mark Barron or Harrison Smith in the 2012 NFL Draft

I've wanted Webb really bad. BB would make my day getting him.

I have a question, what counts against the salary cap. Workout bonuses? Signing bonus? Base salary? All 3? If all 3 count against the cap then the numbers i'm coming up with are that we've spent ~32m this off season so far.

As of March 16th:
13.6m - start

+1.6m - Skins/Cowboys penalty
+7.2m - Brady Restructure
= 22.4m

-~9m - Welker (Franchise)
-~4m - Lloyd (3m signing, 900k base, 100k workout)
-~4.45m - Connolly (3.25m signing, 1.2m base)
-~4.85m - Fanene (3.85m signing, 900k base, 100k workout)
-~2m - Fells (1m signing, 1m base)
-~715k - Gonzalez (700k signing, 15k workout)
-~3.35m - Gregory (2.5m signing, 700k base, 100k workout)
-~890k - White (65k signing, 800k base)
-~2.8m - Slater (2m signing, 700k base, 100k workout)
= -~32m

I could not find the info on Cole, Gallery, Harrison, Koutouvides, and Stallworth.

Obviously i'm not a cap expert. These numbers are from ESPN Boston's Patriots blog. What counts against the cap and what doesn't? The 'base salary' is the 2012 number for all players as is the workout bonus.

Last edited:
Pittsburgh just looked at their cap situation, looked at Mike Wallace still being a RFA, and said "OK, Belichick's just screwing with us at this point.".

Exactly what i was about to say hahahah Have pick 31 and mike you and wes can get 8 mill a year? we can have a starting spread offense of:

Wallace Hernandez 0 0 X 0 0 Gronk Welker LLoyd

. Brady

With Hernandez and Welker playing some RB. hahahah Ok i will get off the dream wagon now cause that would just be a ridiculous offense and way too funny. (while also leaving us in a bad position to eventually resign Gronk and Hern)

what happened to Miguel, does he still post here? I notice his page hasn't been updated in a while...

Mac's Football Blog: Patriots Free Up $7.2M In Cap Space By Restructuring Tom Brady's Contract

I totally predicted this this:cool:

Anyway, there's really no downside to this because any cap room they have left after this season can be added on to next year's cap, so this simply gives them the option to spend another $7.2M while still being able to save it for next year if they decide to go that direction instead. Anyway, it means the Pats should have some money to play around, although it seems like the only move that would really eat into that cap room is a trade, because all the high-priced FAs seem to be off the market.

Commence a ton of rumors about what they could possibly do with an extra $7.2M in cap room this year. I've seen Dwight Freeney and Jared Allen mentioned as options, but I don't think we should set our sights that high:eek:

Sciz with all due respect, we are down to Deaderick and Fanene as a DE core but a couple JAGS like Cunningham pending position. I think Scott is OLB at 255lbs. He played better there than at DE. That is not good roster numbers.
I know the Pats go into the Draft talking about the nice front seven class according to Crazy Eye, but then you know BB. He will Draft a Punter or FB because he was that fatal "good value".

I can't see them going to TC with just three if you want to label Scott as a DE. Carter will be a over the summer decision.

You might as well start thinking DE adds and although they wanted Anderson back, it did not bring suicide calls to the Foxborough 911 from the Pats F.O. They still have more than enough CAP space to sign their Draft picks. They have easy moves on the roster that can get them easily another $4m. You know you are going to sign Welker to reduce that number too. Just get it over with.

Sciz you maybe onto something. Why bother restructuring TB now? Here are FIVE reasons I see:

1-When BB figures he needs WR he goes balls-to-the-walls like he did in 2007 when he got Welker, Moss and Stallworth plus what he already had. Maybe RFA Wallace is still an option for one of the FIRST ROUND picks and you can make the deal right now. I don't see it though.

2-Freeney has always had the respect of BB. maybe BB pulls the trigger for DF. He is 32 but can bring it perhaps another 2 years. More money to sign him perhaps that any other FA so far will be required. He will require a pick as well.

3-Most sense is Jared Allen. The rumor is out there since last year. He has $11m this year and $13m next roughly. Add a couple and down the CAP. He is younger than Carter at 30 and bigger than Anderson and yet has mores sacks than both. Does he want to stay a Viking while they rebuild with youth? The Vikes have two good young DEs behind him waiting. They just let three valuable Vets go and two were snagged the next day.
The fan base will go nuts unless they do something if they move Allen. Their biggest needs are OT and Kalil seems like he might be a great fit in the first round and the other need is a WR to help Ponder who has only Harvin, a slot guy. Use the Pats first rounder that BB should give up for Allen and let them grab Wallace as Pitts can't fight it. Plus with Allen off the books they can afford to step up to a young talent long term like Wallace to pair with Ponder. Both Teams win.

4-They are going to take a swing at CB Lardarius Webb for a first rounder RFA to the Ravens. The Ravens offered $2.742m and are up against the CAP. Webb is also a return guy. He had 5 picks and my favorite DB stat, 20 PDF.

5-Assante Samuel anyone? He got paid. Now let's play.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Isn't this what some people have been criticizing the Jets for constantly doing? What's the difference here?

Exactly what i was about to say hahahah Have pick 31 and mike you and wes can get 8 mill a year? we can have a starting spread offense of:

Wallace Hernandez 0 0 X 0 0 Gronk Welker LLoyd

. Brady

With Hernandez and Welker playing some RB. hahahah Ok i will get off the dream wagon now cause that would just be a ridiculous offense and way too funny. (while also leaving us in a bad position to eventually resign Gronk and Hern)
Did anyone read the link? This move happened almost a week ago, most of that money was probably already used up.

Gallery and Stallworth are not there. So, its $4.3M plus 7.2M = $11.5M less Stallworth ($.3M net) = $11.2M - Gallery (I haven't seen Gallery's numbers)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes