PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady restructures to save $7.2M against this year's cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Pats would want to front load the cap hit for Welker. How would they do that, with a small signing bonus with a huge salary in year one?

You can make it a Roster Bonus instead of a signing bonus. Roster bonuses don't have to be pro-rated over the life of the contract.

You can make it a Roster Bonus instead of a signing bonus. Roster bonuses don't have to be pro-rated over the life of the contract.

It wouldn't make any sense to do that under a flat cap pending a dramatic cap increase in 2 more years, and it's not a slam dunk Welker would agree since in addition to actual guaranteed money (signing bonus and guaranteed bonus or salary) it's dead cap that implicitly guarantees a guy usually sees the first 2-3 years of any deal. And negotiation of bonus or guaranteed money is usually predicated on length of deal.

I don't think the Pats would want to front load the cap hit for Welker. How would they do that, with a small signing bonus with a huge salary in year one?

They just formulate the contract to absorb most of the money this year, i believe Mankin's deal gave him most of his money As a huge signing bonus, Welker will get something similar and then average out at about 3-4 Million per year after 2012.

Doing so allows the patriots to be flexible with Welker later in his career, you can only do this with players you trust to give their full effort through the entire duration of the contract but i think Welker qualifies.

Last edited:
They just formulate the contract to absorb most of the money this year, i believe Mankin's deal gave him most of his money As a huge signing bonus, Welker will get something similar and then average out at about 3-4 Million per year after 2012.

Doing so allows the patriots to be flexible with Welker later in his career, you can only do this with players you trust to give their full effort through the entire duration of the contract but i think Welker qualifies.

They pushed Brady's cap into the future so that they can put Welker's cap number in the present?

Signing bonus doesn't absorb money up front, it pushes it forward... Mankins got $20M in signing bonus on a $51M deal and $30M guaranteed. But he has low salaries for the first two years and then they ramp up. That is the classic form of structure, neither front nor back loaded. He could still become a cap casualty by 2015-16 though with $7M salaries and $11M cap hits...

hmmm, interesting. well then i have no idea what is going on. carry on.

Last edited:
And then there is this from Jeff Howe on twitter:

Interesting that Kraft says he doesn't expect significant cap increase when new TV deals kick in for 2014. Says cap will steadily progress.

Kraft would know since he's on the executive committee. Just like Mara knew in February that the cap would not be going up and might be going down...

The media and fans will attempt to calculate cap increases based on the total value of the TV deal increasing not grasping that a formula will still dictate the cap and there will be a gradual phasing in of the new money, over the six year term of those deals. I expect the cap will rise double digits in 2014, but more like $10M to low teens and more like mid single digits thereafter.

Belichick may be clearing money with a move in mind for a veteran cap casualty as the draft nears. He may have his eye on a players like A. Samuel, J. Allen, O. Usiimyora, or other vets who may be on the block. This may well be where they can actually get an impact defender in this offseason market.

Belichick may be clearing money with a move in mind for a veteran cap casualty as the draft nears. He may have his eye on a players like A. Samuel, J. Allen, O. Usiimyora, or other vets who may be on the block. This may well be where they can actually get an impact defender in this offseason market.

This makes sense. Even after the draft and during camp there is always a decent vet who gets cut.

THis morning Bob Kraft was quoted as saying that the team is focusing on "quality depth management"

this does NOT sound like someone who is expecting a big trade or expensive FA signing with the money freed up with Brady

IF something unexpected comes up and the deal is right...but I think you can forget about Mike Wallace, Dwight Freeny or Jared Allen...unless they can get them at bargain bin prices which realistically won't happen.

Last edited:
THis morning Bob Kraft was quoted as saying that the team is focusing on "quality depth management"

this does NOT sound like someone who is expecting a big trade or expensive FA signing with the money freed up with Brady

IF something unexpected comes up and the deal is right...but I think you can forget about Mike Wallace, Dwight Freeny or Jared Allen...unless they can get them at bargain bin prices which realistically won't happen.
Yes, because the Patriots usually announce their intentions to make a big splash move before they do it.

Why do WR's seem to be especially selfish and egotistic even compared to the rest of NFL players? Especially these ****ies that run up the sideline and never get hit?

On what planet is Wallace worth anything close to Fitzgerald?

Why do WR's seem to be especially selfish and egotistic even compared to the rest of NFL players? Especially these ****ies that run up the sideline and never get hit?

On what planet is Wallace worth anything close to Fitzgerald?

He apparently tweeted something along the lines of "Don't believe everything you hear".

They pushed Brady's cap into the future so that they can put Welker's cap number in the present?

exactly what I was thinking. how does that make any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes