PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady restructures to save $7.2M against this year's cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. All a defense in the playoffs has to do is get good pressure on the QB and they can shutdown any offense no matter how many amazing skill position players they have. At this point I shouldn't really have to explain this to Patriot fans of all people. Also if the defense blows and can't get off the field, the opposing team can simply dominate time of possession and keep your amazing magical unstoppable offense on the bench. Which is what basically happened in the last SB. All offense no defense simply doesn't work against good teams in the playoffs, period.

The offense sucked in the second half of the SB, I thought that was a much bigger issue than the D giving up TOP and not getting off the field. They had a dog**** D, still only gave up 21 pts and were basically unable to score on 4 straight possessions after the beginning of the 3rd. This with an injured Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, an over the hill Branch and a non existant Ocho Cinco. If they have Lloyd and Wallace they win the game in a blowout imo.

I believe after all the signings, we were somewhere between 10-14m. Add 7m and we should be around 17m-21m in cap space.

Haven't read the whole thread so maybe it's been answered. But how on earth could the Pats still have $17-21 million of cap space available after all these signings? I know they were inexpensive, but still...that would be insane. That number can't be right.

I know this is not the best source, but incarcerated bob is saying wallace is in contract talks with the bengals, patriots, and broncos. The talks with the bengals and patriots are serious. He was right about manning in Denver and a few other things so take it for what its worth.

I wouldn't have any idea how a defense would cover the Patriots if the Pats put on the field a set of Wallace, Lloyd, Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez. The only thing I can think of is that they'd likely go dime and live with Hernandez running out of that set.

If he takes less than 2-3m per year, I would sign him. I'm still uneasy about a 2nd year backs taking the starter job.

Particularly, since BB was afraid to play either much last year. He started to play Ridley some, and then after a couple of fumbles, we never saw him again. I sure hope BB has a plan. :)

The offense sucked in the second half of the SB, I thought that was a much bigger issue than the D giving up TOP and not getting off the field. They had a dog**** D, still only gave up 21 pts and were basically unable to score on 4 straight possessions after the beginning of the 3rd. This with an injured Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, an over the hill Branch and a non existant Ocho Cinco. If they have Lloyd and Wallace they win the game in a blowout imo.

If they were going to spend 9 million + 1st round pick on offense, I'd rathe it be for a top rb, especially since our current 5th receiving option should be pretty good as well -- ie I assume out of stallworth, ocho, edleman, someone will emerge from the fight as solid/good.
Hopefully its ocho since he has the most potential -- I just cant believe his skills would've declined that much, but I can believe he wasnt mentally capable of instinctively learning the offense -- since it seems to be a recurring issue with other wrs here.

Sweet! Excellent news, Brady Da Man! Superstar All World QB doing what's right for Pats to win, Along with Kraft & BB. Kudos to this organization for doing what ever it takes.
Hook up that D! Wouldn't mind either Mathis, Osi, J.Allen a Quality DB/S/FS

Now that we have Lloyd, Wallace isn't a sizeable upgrade on the offense. Draft a project WR, absolutely. But... Aside from some depth stuff, Brady has all he damn needs on offense. GIVE HIM SOME DEFENSIVE HELP.

Speaking just to your post, and not to the likelihood of a deal getting done (I've touched on that in another thread somewhere), Wallace would be an enormous upgrade for the offense. The team, as of now, has 4 'receivers' (WR/TE) proven to be worth a damn in the passing game. What is true is that a guy like Wallace would require a lineup of

Gronk
Hernandez
Lloyd
Welker
Wallace

to get them all on the field at the same time, meaning the team would be going without a true RB at those times.

Last edited:
Haven't read the whole thread so maybe it's been answered. But how on earth could the Pats still have $17-21 million of cap space available after all these signings? I know they were inexpensive, but still...that would be insane. That number can't be right.

It isn't. Like the old adage says, if it sounds too good to be true it usually isn't. Best guesstimates now are we have around $8-9M including the Brady money and guesstimating the last couple of deals.

My guess is that they aren't necessarily freeing up money for some big move. I think they are playing around with his contract to move the most dollars into that last year as possible since that will be the year that the cap presumably skyrockets.

One of the potential reasons is Brady and Kraft may have had a hand shake deal that Brady would take less money if most of the money was paid up front. This restructure is great for Brady's cash flow and as the OP said, even if the Pats don't use the money this year, they can roll it over to next year.

PS Mike Wallace isn't walking through that door. I'm surprised people are still mentioning his name after the Pats signed 14 WRs this offseason.

It isn't. Like the old adage says, if it sounds too good to be true it usually isn't. Best guesstimates now are we have around $8-9M including the Brady money and guesstimating the last couple of deals.

That jives with:

New England Patriots Salary Cap 2012

That figure is @ 11 mill, without including Gallery, who I imagine took more than vet min to sign with us.

I originally wanted a Brady restructure until you pointed out some of the pitfalls of it.

This contract might need to be dealt with again at the end of the year. I know you think Brady and his camp won't take a team friendly extension, but it might come to that. Unless the cap does rise dramatically, which may not happen until 2014, things might get awkward - Belichick will not want consecutive 22 milli cap hits. Which is why, ultimately, I'm surprised this came to pass.

What this restructure tells us:

- Ochocinco has survived another day, maybe into camp - maybe not, depending upon how things continue to play out.

- Reports of Matt Light's retirement might have been premature.

- We now have back the space to bring back Carter & Branch now. And maybe even Koppen, but I don't see that as all that necessary.

Last edited:
I know this is not the best source, but incarcerated bob is saying wallace is in contract talks with the bengals, patriots, and broncos. The talks with the bengals and patriots are serious. He was right about manning in Denver and a few other things so take it for what its worth.

Incarcerated Bob is an idiot. Dude just throws **** on the wall and hopes one of them sticks.

Every year somebody calls Incarcerated Bob a legit source,on various sites. Yet they ignore that he is 'right' 1/10 times.

Every year somebody calls Incarcerated Bob a legit source,on various sites. Yet they ignore that he is 'right' 1/10 times.

I remember last year when Nnamdi was suppose to be a Jet and all of a sudden, he became an Eagle out of no where. Dude is a hack.

One of the potential reasons is Brady and Kraft may have had a hand shake deal that Brady would take less money if most of the money was paid up front. This restructure is great for Brady's cash flow and as the OP said, even if the Pats don't use the money this year, they can roll it over to next year.

PS Mike Wallace isn't walking through that door. I'm surprised people are still mentioning his name after the Pats signed 14 WRs this offseason.

They will need to roll it over since the cap will be flat again next season and Brady will be taking up 18% of it...

Mike Wallace isn't walking through that door because he's looking for Larry Fitzgerald money or more... SF kicked his tires the first week of FA and that was what they discovered. I doubt he goes anywhere.

Now that we have Lloyd, Wallace isn't a sizeable upgrade on the offense. Draft a project WR, absolutely. But... Aside from some depth stuff, Brady has all he damn needs on offense. GIVE HIM SOME DEFENSIVE HELP.

The contributions and qualities that Wallace would provide to this offense will be provided by Stallworth at a fraction.

Stallworth is still the verticle threat and is a YAC guy on short passes.

Wallace is the explosive guy in an offense that was ranked in the twenties in scoring anf turnovers.

My guess is that they aren't necessarily freeing up money for some big move. I think they are playing around with his contract to move the most dollars into that last year as possible since that will be the year that the cap presumably skyrockets.

If they do that it will just make an extension harder to structure and franchise tagging him impossible. Right now they are looking at franchise tags in 2015-2016 of $26.4-31.6M. Even if the cap tops $150-160M by then those would be untenable. If they puch more money into 2014 to lower his 2013 $22M cap hit, they get worse. They now have to extend him or let him walk in 2015...for nothing. Not gonna happen. So look for an extension of 2-3 years for Brady early next season to manage his final cap hits to retirement.

That jives with:

New England Patriots Salary Cap 2012

That figure is @ 11 mill, without including Gallery, who I imagine took more than vet min to sign with us.

I originally wanted a Brady restructure until you pointed out some of the pitfalls of it.

This contract might need to be dealt with again at the end of the year. I know you think Brady and his camp won't take a team friendly extension, but it might come to that. Unless the cap does rise dramatically, which may not happen until 2014, things might get awkward - Belichick will not want consecutive 22 milli cap hits. Which is why, ultimately, I'm surprised this came to pass.

What this restructure tells us:

- Ochocinco has survived another day, maybe into camp - maybe not, depending upon how things continue to play out.

- Reports of Matt Light's retirement might have been premature.

- We now have back the space to bring back Carter & Branch now. And maybe even Koppen, but I don't see that as all that necessary.

There is no way around cap hits in excess of $20M at the end of any Brady deal because an extension is going to average at least that. What an extension will do now is get them back under that level in 2013 and maybe 2014. But then they will exceed that in the remaining years. Only way to circumvent that would be dummy years and dead cap after he's gone and that is something Belichick will be really reluctant to do (that was always Polian's end game strategy) except perhaps to the tune of a small, manageable one year dead cap hit you can rationalize with a cheap QB on a rookie deal under center.

I feel like a big move is incoming at DE since they just lost Anderson, Freeney or Allen maybe.

The contributions and qualities that Wallace would provide to this offense will be provided by Stallworth at a fraction.

Stallworth is still the verticle threat and is a YAC guy on short passes.

Wallace is the explosive guy in an offense that was ranked in the twenties in scoring anf turnovers.

:singing:

Donte Stallworth has played 30 games in last 3 NFL seasons he has been active, with a total of 41 catches.

Of his 309 yards in 2011, 96 came vs PATS on 4 catches against our world class secondary that set NFL record.

I repeat.... Last 3 NFL seasons he has been active, 30 games, 41 catches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back