Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
From KFFL:

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports New England Patriots QB Tom Brady usually takes a vacation during the NFL offseason, but not this year. Brady was so steamed about the way New England's season ended that he was determined to get back into the weight room and redeem himself and the organization for its postseason loss in January to the Denver Broncos. Those who know him say Brady has been extremely motivated by the postseason loss and is determined not to have another season end with one.

Right now Detriot is pleading with Charles Rodgers, a top ten pick, who has done NOTHING in the NFL, to try and work harder. And here is a three time SB winner, pissed off about not being a four time SB winner, not taking a vacation, hitting the weights, look at the example this sets for the rookies. We are so lucky to hae this guy as our QB!

Not to start a Brady/Bledsoe debate but that shows you the difference between them also. Bledsoe used to go to Montana every off-season and what did he ever win.

Just goes to show you Brady has the heart of a lion. We as Pats fans are so lucky to be able to watch him week in and week out. Then, in about 15 years we'll be able to watch him getting his gold jacket as a first ballot hall of famer.

Tom Brady = Larry Bird

......and Tommy for the sake of us fans, keep it up in the weight room.
also what with your groinular injury suffered last season and all, lay off the womens for a while, OK?

......wait, that didn't come out right.

Bledsoe never did ANYTHING to try to better himself. All he did was go fishing in the offseason. He really should have worked on his footwork and studied film but he was happy with soley a strong arm.

Last edited:
Both tom and c-dill should have a monster year next year.

MrTibbs said:
Bledsoe never did ANYTHING to try to better himself. All he did was go fishing in the offseason. He really should have worked on his footwork and studied film but he was happy with soley a strong arm.
Precisely! About the footwork, at the point in his career when he started to get sacked far too often, I remember wishing he or the Patriots would do something drastic, like hire a dance coach or a martial arts expert, or somebody, to work on his footwork. Stranger things have happened, and benefited athletes.

MrTibbs said:
Bledsoe was a victim of his own immense talent. From Pop Warner to NCAA Washington State, he was so talented that all he had to do was show up and he was far and away the best player on the field. He never developed a strong work ethic because he never needed it in order to dominate his competition. But when you reach the NFL, you are competing against the best of the best of the best every game. You can no longer dominate with talent alone - you need to work hard all year round.

Broomer said:
Tom Brady = Larry Bird

......and Tommy for the sake of us fans, keep it up in the weight room.
also what with your groinular injury suffered last season and all, lay off the womens for a while, OK?

......wait, that didn't come out right.
Posting two times in a row here, but I just wanted to mention my favorite Larry Bird special preparation story. It's documented that he would show up a week or so early in the fall in Boston, get the keys to the Brookline High gym (or another in the area facility) and practice for days by himself. He brought not only basketballs, but trampoline type nets that were angled to return the ball to him so he could practice that wonderful passing of his. I think Bird made the most of his God-givens, what they were, to a higher degree than anyone I've ever been privileged to watch. I'm sure there are similar special prep stories about Brady as well.

Last edited:
QuiGon said:
Bledsoe was a victim of his own immense talent. From Pop Warner to NCAA Washington State, he was so talented that all he had to do was show up and he was far and away the best player on the field. He never developed a strong work ethic because he never needed it in order to dominate his competition. But when you reach the NFL, you are competing against the best of the best of the best every game. You can no longer dominate with talent alone - you need to work hard all year round.
great post

Digger44 said:
great post

ditto.

Dontcha think BB seeks out players like Brady, Harrison, Troy Brown, Corey Dillon, players who've never had anything handed to them and are driven by the desire to prove themselves. I think that's what makes them such a formidable team. One of the things anayway.

OT -- this is my 100th post!

Last edited:
Hoodie said:
ditto.

Dontcha think BB seeks out players like Brady, Harrison, Troy Brown, Corey Dillon, players who've never had anything handed to them and are driven by the desire to prove themselves. I think that's what makes them such a formidable team. One of the things anayway.

If you read "Education of a Coach" you'll note that BB specificly seeks out young developing coaching assistants NOT motivated by money and committed to hard work. Therefore, it would seem that he'd also have a predilection for players with similar hungry attitudes.

PatsWickedPissah said:
If you read "Education of a Coach" you'll note that BB specificly seeks out young developing coaching assistants NOT motivated by money and committed to hard work. Therefore, it would seem that he'd also have a predilection for players with similar hungry attitudes.

As a member of the Choir, I would be derelict in my duty if I hadn't read it. I ran out and got it on the day it became available. I agree. It's a BB theme.

MrTibbs said:
IMO it's there with more than a few 'good' nfl players. they put up some good numbers, take their money, and complete a career. and go fishing. the footwork could have gotten a lot better, but i dunno if he could ever have moved in the pocket like brady does.
those smooth movements, half-steps, look uncoachable. you either have them or not.
ryan wrote once that mchale was a more well-rounded person than bird, easier to talk to, but bird was the one who scared people.
does brady have a younger brother?

Hoodie said:
ditto.

The guys with the chip on their shoulders because they were (take your pick) too short, too slow, too light (e.g. Bruschi, Tedy) to play in the NFL and they succeeded. I put Neal in tht category .that blue collar lunchpail ethic is part of the mystique and the chemistry. Do your job, act professional, work hard and you'll succeed. That being said, there is no way they draft Lendale White. You don't show up out of shape for workout day, bad hammy or not.....

QuiGon said:

sounds like Leinart (sorry for OT-post but I just couldn't resist)

Last edited:
the taildragger said:
sounds like Leinart (sorry for OT-post but I just couldn't resist)

But he DID (barely) beat out Matt Cassells.

It's amazing, and it shocks me just how hard a worker Brady really is. I'm glad to ehar it..Now lets keep Brady and Dillon healhty on offense next year and watch the fire works ;)

a few other traits, too

Patsfanin Philly said:
The guys with the chip on their shoulders because they were (take your pick) too short, too slow, too light (e.g. Bruschi, Tedy) to play in the NFL and they succeeded. I put Neal in tht category .that blue collar lunchpail ethic is part of the mystique and the chemistry. Do your job, act professional, work hard and you'll succeed. That being said, there is no way they draft Lendale White. You don't show up out of shape for workout day, bad hammy or not.....
look for it in the player scouting report summaries:
a leader
high character
smart
a bit mean
it showed up in every patriot draftee's scouting summary last year.

How did Brady hit the weights with a hernia?

QuiGon said:
Great posts..and I agree totally with you on DB...the weird thing is when he was here..very few really understood the "work ethic thing". Sure, it was mentioned, but downplayed considerably. But again, it was all his arm and being a BIG time QB..work?? Underplayed..totally. I think many were glad the Pats had a QB like DB...he saved the franchise. But when you look back, he never did the small things needed..and now one can see that. Totally 20-20 hindsight, but in the big picture, I really believe totally overlooked. It was all his talent..his arm more than anything. A QB?? equals arm...a BIG arm. I think now, one understands it all better. Not only at QB but all positions and what it takes to win at football. Back then, I really feel Patriot fans were not as knowledgeable and really just happy the team was winning and not in St Louis. (Or later Hartford..) But having geon up on Parilli and Grogan..different eras...and Brady?? The pro's pro!!!! I agree..like Bird..but also like Russell..who played a different mind game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News