PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would add that I'm not even sure Belichick COULD reload for one last run with Brady, even if he wanted to. I don't think the cap space is there to pull it off unless Brady took less money that he'd realistically be willing to accept in the first place. To really do it and have it actually work Brady would have to take some crazy low deal because of the overall state of the team's salary cap space.

The miracle is that it took this long to reach a point where they just couldn't square the circle of keeping Brady vs. building the roster.

Yeah, I agree with this completely. At best they bring back Brady and lose basically all of their free agents except maybe Slater and McCourty and have no space to sign or trade for anyone else. So they'd be looking at a multiyear commitment to Brady with the team only getting worse from last season unless they hit a jackpot in the draft. This wasn't an ideal way to do it, as Stidham is a mid-round pick and a total unknown and I think Belichick would give his right arm to go back in time and choose Lamar Jackson over Sony Michel, but at the time it didn't seem like Brady would leave.

What specifically is it about BB that makes TFB tired of him? Tom is a hard worker, OK OTAs aside, he still sets the example. Works hard off season.
Both of them are very critical of mistakes. Are folks thinking Tom just wants a situation where he makes 2-3 turn overs in a game and next Monday the coach in game review says "No biggie! We're onto next Sunday's TO fest!"?
I could see TFB frustrated with BB's sub par draft picks.
I could see TFB frustrated with in my view Kraft's hasty AB jettison.
I could see TFB frustrated hearing Gisele ***** & moan about Bob's excellent adventures in FL and tiring of his sanctimony, especially after his below weak support on Deflategate.
I think it’s as easy as Tom looking over the roster, the recent drafts, etc and thinking that this isn’t a team that’s going to win a Super Bowl in his final two seasons. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he and BB had a very frank conversation about the direction of the franchise over the next two years, and BB made it clear that we’re beginning to go into a bit of a rebuilding mode. So he went to the team that was going to give him guaranteed money, in a place he wanted to live in with his family, that was more ready-built in 2020 and 2021 to compete for championships. He’s probably hoping the Chiefs make it back on the AFC side so he can be in a position to dispute (and deny) Mahomes again, this time on the biggest stage of all.

Saw this elsewhere and liked it:
"I see Tom Brady and Belichick as David Gilmour and Roger Waters. Waters was the brains and the leader, a man with impeccable artistic vision. But Gilmour was the soul. Pink Floyd fractured when the two of them stopped being able to work together, but it’s pretty clear that they needed each other to really bring out the best in the music. Waters post-Floyd is a lot of weird concept work and artsy crap that isn’t that enjoyable to listen to, seemingly more interesting in theory than execution. The Gilmour-led Pink Floyd era is mostly meandering forgettable fluff. The two of them brought out the best in each other. Tom and Bill brought out the best in each other, and I don’t think either of them will find the same success without one another. It was a magical chance pairing, and it’s over now."

So, do we think there's anything to the Matt Miller (Bleacher Report) story that the rift started in 2017 when (allegedly) BB tried to trade Brady to SF and Kraft blocked it?

Yes yes, I know about all the denials from people, but I also think those denials are less credible in the light of everything that's ultimately gone down. Likewise with all the pooh-poohing of Wickersham's piece.

This brings an interesting scenario, albeit completely hypothetical: Let's say it's guaranteed that only one of these two will win a SB within the next two years, which guy do you think it'll be?
I would go with Tampa.

We've often see a talented team get hot late in the season and storm their way to a SB title.

Given their talent and two bites of the apple I can see it happening.

Not saying it's likely, just saying it's something that can happen.

BB doesn't build teams to build this year's Super Bowl, he builds his teams to win the division year after year.

How many times have we heard BB refer to the playoffs as the tourney?

His goal is sustainable growth so that you get into the tourney every year and once you are in anything can happen.

I don't see the overall team depth nor the draft and cap resources to build that depth for NE to win the SB in the next two seasons unless we really over perform on draft selections.

I think watching how BB and staff rebuilds the team will be very interesting.

Overall I think the odds of TB having a hot streak and getting a SB in the next two years is higher than BB pulling off a rebuild in the next two years that will get a SB, but I think the odds aren't that great for either.

Yep there are plenty here. Can’t cope.
Wasn’t it you who was the guy that proclaimed the 2017 Pats were doomed and would be 8-8 and then ran away from the forum when they went 13-3 and made it to the Super Bowl?

talk about chicken littles

"I see Tom Brady and Belichick as David Gilmour and Roger Waters. Waters was the brains and the leader, a man with impeccable artistic vision. But Gilmour was the soul. Pink Floyd fractured when the two of them stopped being able to work together, but it’s pretty clear that they needed each other to really bring out the best in the music. Waters post-Floyd is a lot of weird concept work and artsy crap that isn’t that enjoyable to listen to, seemingly more interesting in theory than execution. The Gilmour-led Pink Floyd era is mostly meandering forgettable fluff. The two of them brought out the best in each other. Tom and Bill brought out the best in each other, and I don’t think either of them will find the same success without one another. It was a magical chance pairing, and it’s over now."
We don’t know if Tom needs Bill at all to win a championship. He’s never played under anyone else. As of March 20, 2020, we know that Bill needs Tom to win a championship as a HC, though. Hopefully that changes, but that’s the way it is right now.

Where's that from? I like the writing.

No way they would've given him 50 mil guaranteed.

Wasn’t it you who was the guy that proclaimed the 2017 Pats were doomed and would be 8-8 and then ran away from the forum when they went 13-3 and made it to the Super Bowl?

He was talking about Brady being done after the week 1 loss to KC. Brady just went on to win MVP after and have arguably his best playoff run ever

Was Bledose Syd Barrett?

The other thing that nobody is talking about is RISK.

Tampa Bay is putting their balls on the table .. 50+ million dollars for old QB. It's crazy in someways because the reality of AGE can come up and kick them in the balls in week 1. Then what does it look like?

Pats fans will be saying , yeah we were so smaaaht to let him go.

I have no idea who these folks are or what this means.

I think it’s as easy as Tom looking over the roster, the recent drafts, etc and thinking that this isn’t a team that’s going to win a Super Bowl in his final two seasons. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he and BB had a very frank conversation about the direction of the franchise over the next two years, and BB made it clear that we’re beginning to go into a bit of a rebuilding mode. So he went to the team that was going to give him guaranteed money, in a place he wanted to live in with his family, that was more ready-built in 2020 and 2021 to compete for championships. He’s probably hoping the Chiefs make it back on the AFC side so he can be in a position to dispute (and deny) Mahomes.

I think it’s very much this. Pats have always had great bursts and then short one or two retooling years where’s Brady kinda carried them through it.

After the back to back 05-06 were kinda tweaking years. Then 2012-2013 were tweaking years for the defense and getting Edelman to replace Welker etc.

Now we had a big run and they need to go through the process again. Only now Brady is looking at it from the standpoint of “I’m in my last few years, I don’t have time to wait through this”. Belichick isn’t going to budge from his process to just go all in and kill cap for Brady to have a final run and then leave them deep after.

Also Brady wants a commitment that he’s going to be the focus and isn’t going to be discarded and Belichick isn’t going to be sentimental about it.

So if you are Brady, why not just go to a team that is ready to compete with awesome weapons you can play with, with a good coach, for a franchise that is going to ride him out as long as he wants.

I didn’t run away. Got tired of the abuse and figured before I caught ban for saying something stupid I took a break. Lesson that could be learned by many here.

Waters is morose and insufferable, Gilmour is a super-stellar force. It wasn't two magicians getting the best out of each other like TB and BB, it was more like three guys putting up with a temperamental fourth guy for as long as they could before it all blew up.

BB build the system that put TB in to position to win, TB put in the work to sharpen his skills game after game till he could do amazing things which allowed the system to grow.

I don't see the analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents