PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bodden deal done - 4 years, $22M ($10M GTD) [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have no idea what this term "#1 CB" means. I think it has something to do with the general idea that CBs cover WRs and a #1 CB is like a #1 WR or something like that? I trully wish someone could explain the term "#1 CB" as it pertains to the NFL. Also why is there not a "#1 OLB" and "#1 DE" and "#1 ILB" and "#1 Safety". I'm so confused!

Its easy. Wes Welker is a lock top 10 WR in the league. But its a better #2 WR .

CB#1 is Ty Law, Asante Samuel in his prime . A guy that can cover enturely his part of the field and shutdown the opposite #1 WR .

I still have no idea what this term "#1 CB" means. I think it has something to do with the general idea that CBs cover WRs and a #1 CB is like a #1 WR or something like that? I trully wish someone could explain the term "#1 CB" as it pertains to the NFL. Also why is there not a "#1 OLB" and "#1 DE" and "#1 ILB" and "#1 Safety". I'm so confused!

it's what happens when Madden and fantasy football enthusiasts decide to inundate a team's board with their peculiar brand of A.D.D. addled player evalautions.

Last edited:
For sure.

Main problem is we havent #1 CB and top Safety. He is our best DB.

We have a safety who was a pro bowl alternate, and great promising depth at the position. You need to find something else to worry about.

Ya, I like our safety situation and actually like our back-field in general. BUT, if Bodden goes down for a period of time, does that mean Whihite or Springs is back to starting? I also think we are assuming a lot of Butler to make a guaranteed second year jump, instead of a possible slump.

Overall- love the signing for what the terms are, but would like to add another above-jag CB. Also, I would like for us to pick a(1 of each) S & CB in this draft. S, because Mcgowan & Sanders are maxed and can only go down, & CB cause you can never have enough quality ones. Also this draft is supposed to have a bunch of decent S's in later-rounds

it's what happens when Madden and fantasy football enthusiasts decide to inundate a team's board with their peculiar brand of A.D.D. addled player evalautions.
I love posts that say we should sign this FA or that one because he is a beast in Madden.

When people say #1 CB, I assume (right or wrong) that they're talking about a guy who's good enough to go one-on-one with the opposing team's #1WR and consistently win that matchup. There are very, very few guys that can do that anymore, so, by my definition, there are only a few "#1 CBs" in the league, and there's virtually no chance of the Pats getting any of them.

Its easy. Wes Welker is a lock top 10 WR in the league. But its a better #2 WR .

CB#1 is Ty Law, Asante Samuel in his prime . A guy that can cover enturely his part of the field and shutdown the opposite #1 WR .

Then there are 2, maybe 3 #1 corners in the league by your definition. And Asante isn't one of them btw

Then there are 2, maybe 3 #1 corners in the league by your definition. And Asante isn't one of them btw

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Asante is a strange cornerback to evaluate...

Re: Rappaport: No deal for Bodden

My chances of being canonized (i'm an atheist btw) are about equal to Asante's chances of making the HOF.
Cousin
I am glad they signed Bodden and agree on Asante. Someone said earlier that Law could have been a lock for HOF if he stayed. Fabulous point! Sorry to hear that about your final destiny. I don't know you at all. I am respectful but hope you will change your mind sooner than later. More important than any forum. Think about this. The big Guy said- "For I know the plans I have for you".

I am no minister or priest. I am certainly not that good of a person. No holier than thou junk.

Please. No offense intended.
DW Toys

Last edited:

No way in hell was Asante Samuel a shutdown CB. Ever.

Revis is a shutdown corner. Asante is . . . afraid . . . of. . . tackling.

Well, technically the Pats do not have a #1 CB or #2 CB. They have a left and right CB. Their CBs take sides, not players. Typically, the left CB lines up across from the #1 WR especially with a right handed QB, but it isn't always the case.

Cousin
I am glad they signed Bodden and agree on Asante. Someone said earlier that Law could have been a lock for HOF if he stayed. Fabulous point! Sorry to hear that about your final destiny. I don't know you at all. I am respectful but hope you will change your mind sooner than later. More important than any forum. Think about this. The big Guy said- "For I know the plans I have for you".

I am no minister or priest. I am certainly not that good of a person. No holier than thou junk.

Please. No offense intended.
DW Toys

None taken; I appreciate the sentiment. Not going to speak anymore to this point, though- not really what the forum's for, and in hindsight it was probably a mistake of me to even reference it at all.

Re: Lombardi: Pats have re-signed Bodden

AWESOME news! This was a glue move. Bodden brings a lot of stability to our secondary and is a great fit for the Patriots system. Woohoo! Count me as happy that they got this DONE! Welcome back Leigh Bodden!!

Perfectly summarized.

I'd suspect that the Pats also hope that over a portion of the next 4 years Bodden is their second best CB, however they might acquire the 2nd piece of the puzzle.

None taken; I appreciate the sentiment. Not going to speak anymore to this point, though- not really what the forum's for, and in hindsight it was probably a mistake of me to even reference it at all.

Thanks for the reply,
DW Toys

Re: Bodden done - 5 years

Before anything is announced, I'm on record predicting between $20-25M, unless there is a huge back load. I'll say $8M guaranteed, $23M overall.

UPDATE: Looks like I was off, but much closer than the $8M annual predictions.

Actually, it now looks like I was pretty darn close -)

Check out what Bodden said on twitter:

LeighBodden LIKE THE OLD #23... HE'S BAAACCKK!!!!!!
32 minutes ago via web

LeighBodden I LOVE U NE!
28 minutes ago via web

Hes happy to be back. He got a fair deal and we have a solid seconday. Bodden and Butler will make the QB's pee their pants in 2010!:rocker:

Check out what Bodden said on twitter:

Hes happy to be back. He got a fair deal and we have a solid seconday. Bodden and Butler will make the QB's pee their pants in 2010!:rocker:

and with Merriweather and Chung, they'll be sh*tting bricks. Now the draft needs to focus on the front 7, WR, OL, RB, TE, P......

Bodden, Butler, Meriweather, Chung...not bad...

nice that Leigh is again a Patriot

i met him in London after Bucs game and he was so nice

Bodden, Butler, Meriweather, Chung...not bad...

nice that Leigh is again a Patriot

i met him in London after Bucs game and he was so nice

I too admire Bodden a lot and I'm delighted that he will be back. Now he's part of the team for the longer term, I look to him to become a stronger influence -- and, I'm sure, an influence for the good.

@Bodden's twitter. WE LOVE U TOO, LEIGH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick