PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Sanders cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just love it how sports fans start salivating every time a good player becomes a FA or is available in the trade. It is as if their team is the only team interested...of course these blinders must be on all the fan for their local team. And nothing can be as bad as the WEEI Baseball Hotstove talk...

Fix'd. 10char

We could sign him to a half season contract and put a sign on him saying "IN case of emergency break glass." Break glass and pull handle week 10 and hope he can last the rest of the way.
Bob Sanders is made of .......Glass!

I'm in the camp that wishes Sanders would retire. He's a great player, but he's also a person - a person who's going to already have to deal with the repercussions of a lot of trauma. Why add more? He's got the money, the ring and the DPOY award.

Waste of a roster spot, no thanks.

here are 5 teams i think will make a push for sanders,

#1 titans. because they now how good he is when he is on the field and to stick it to the colts

#2 the jets. because i think Kris Jenkins will net be back with them so they will need someone to fill he's spot on IR lol

#3 Bills. worst run defense in the NFL they need all the help they can get

#4 Jaguars. same reason as titans

#5 Cowboys. because they need some pop at DB

If he comes in for the minimum with some incentives on play time, I don't see what the risk is. If he can make it through TC and earn a roster spot, then even if he gets injured later, it isn't a huge cost in terms of cap space. It could be a low-risk, high-reward gamble.

The risk is a roster spot.

Secondly, isnt Sanders going to take the best deal out there? Something tells me the Pats wont be his best option in terms of money in the bank. If Im Bob Sanders, Id want as much guaranteed money as possible before I get hurt again. Some other team will over pay and get burned. The Pats are about getting younger and long term viability.

Sign him, put him on the PUP, Slowly work him back in over Nov. and Dec and hope like hell he plays good in the playoffs. It would be nice to have a wild card like him come playoff time. Kinda expensive though.

Sign him, put him on the PUP, Slowly work him back in over Nov. and Dec and hope like hell he plays good in the playoffs. It would be nice to have a wild card like him come playoff time. Kinda expensive though.

The Colts tried that last year. He started 1 game after returning and was...injured again. The Colts have babied him since 2006. That was the only year that approach yielded the desired result. He had a DPOY season the following year but ran into a freight train that mitigated his efforts. He's absorbed more splinters riding the pine since than he has hits in the last 5 seasons.

Bill has never been inclined to play the wait for a savior game. The few times he's tried to it didn't pan out. This season we carried Fred Taylor for an entire season and he was never able to contribute more than moral support. Maybe if we'd cut ties with him early on we could have put the money spent or roster spot rendered useless to better use.

The risk is a roster spot.

Secondly, isnt Sanders going to take the best deal out there? Something tells me the Pats wont be his best option in terms of money in the bank. If Im Bob Sanders, Id want as much guaranteed money as possible before I get hurt again. Some other team will over pay and get burned. The Pats are about getting younger and long term viability.

The potential impact Sanders has when he's healthy is probably far more significant than the potential contributions of a 6th WR or 5th OT. By bringing him in on a low-cost contract, even if you give him a roster spot on opening day and his salary is guaranteed, it isn't a huge hit if he goes on IR.

As for what Sanders will be willing to take, we'd have to ask him. But he already got paid big in his last contract ($20M guaranteed), so he might be willing to take less to play for a winner. You're probably right that he'll take a big money offer if it's available. And with the draft not being particularly deep in terms of safeties, he might get that big offer. But if he doesn't, I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him for the vet minimum.

I just love it how Patriots fan start salivating every time a good player becomes a FA or is available in the trade. It is as if the Patriots are the only team interested...of course these blinders must be on all the fan for their local team. And nothing can be as bad as the WEEI Baseball Hotstove talk...

A fan board is the perfect place to have discussion and voice reasonable thoughts and opinions such as this one.

To summarize, the discussion pertains to how an oft-injured fmr DPoY safety would fit on this roster.

There is nothing unreasonable about it.

You mean like the colts ,he has played 8 games in 48 last games. He has not worked /healed up in 3-4 yrs .He played 1 game in 2 yrs and you feel this is a 6 month healing injury?.

The potential impact Sanders has when he's healthy is probably far more significant than the potential contributions of a 6th WR or 5th OT. By bringing him in on a low-cost contract, even if you give him a roster spot on opening day and his salary is guaranteed, it isn't a huge hit if he goes on IR.

As for what Sanders will be willing to take, we'd have to ask him. But he already got paid big in his last contract ($20M guaranteed), so he might be willing to take less to play for a winner. You're probably right that he'll take a big money offer if it's available. And with the draft not being particularly deep in terms of safeties, he might get that big offer. But if he doesn't, I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him for the vet minimum.
However, even when healthy, you have to consider the impact and strengths Sanders has an how it would change on a different team.
The Colts are a hard charging 1 gap team that asks its DL to blast through a gap worrying only about rushing the passer and maybe finding the RB along the way. Sanders ability to read the run play, and fill the gaps that are created by that style represents the majority of his contributions to that team. In essence he is the unblocked man that reads the play and runs to whereever he sees the play bouncing too.
He is tremendous at that, but in a system where that would not be his job, how much value does he have?
I don't think anyone is going to sign him based upon his coverage skills.
Teams that play gambling defenses that ignore the run and need a guy who can plug the holes created by their system would value Sanders a lot more than a team that plays a 2gap system and only asks the safeties to prevent 10 yard gains from becoming 20,30,40+.

Teams that play gambling defenses that ignore the run and need a guy who can plug the holes created by their system would value Sanders a lot more than a team that plays a 2gap system and only asks the safeties to prevent 10 yard gains from becoming 20,30,40+.

I agree 100% but in certain packages (big nickel, blitz, etc) he would still carry a great deal of value in this system. Enough value to be paid a large sum of money by the NEP? I don't think so as he would be a role player in this defense.

I agree 100% but in certain packages (big nickel, blitz, etc) he would still carry a great deal of value in this system. Enough value to be paid a large sum of money by the NEP? I don't think so as he would be a role player in this defense.
When you add in the fact that he cannot stay on the field, it seems pointless to pursue him. 9 games in 3 years could be bad luck but when you are undersized for the position and play it more recklessly than most, the ***ility is part of the package.

However, even when healthy, you have to consider the impact and strengths Sanders has an how it would change on a different team.
The Colts are a hard charging 1 gap team that asks its DL to blast through a gap worrying only about rushing the passer and maybe finding the RB along the way. Sanders ability to read the run play, and fill the gaps that are created by that style represents the majority of his contributions to that team. In essence he is the unblocked man that reads the play and runs to whereever he sees the play bouncing too.
He is tremendous at that, but in a system where that would not be his job, how much value does he have?
I don't think anyone is going to sign him based upon his coverage skills.

You're right, and other teams would value him a lot more than we would because of the system.

But if none of those teams were comfortable signing him and the opportunity came up for the vet minimum, I'd love to see how it works out. He could be a significant upgrade in the sub packages, where we had problems in run support all season. Chung could continue his cover role in the nickel with Sanders playing SS.

Realistically, the odds are next to none that this happens. But if the opportunity came up, I'd be all for it.

Chung could continue his cover role in the nickel with Sanders playing SS.

Chung is on the verge of becoming a top-tier SS. I do not want Sanders taking away his playing time whatsoever.

Chung is on the verge of becoming a top-tier SS. I do not want Sanders taking away his playing time whatsoever.

I agree. I meant Sanders could replace James Sanders in sub packages, providing more run support. Chung has taken on the nickel role so that leaves that spot open for a 3rd safety.

I agree. I meant Sanders could replace James Sanders in sub packages, providing more run support. Chung has taken on the nickel role so that leaves that spot open for a 3rd safety.

Its not an easy situation to figure out. James Sanders is pretty decent as a FS and had arguably his best year as a Pat last year.

We could also say that Bob Sanders is a tick below Chung (I'm confident that Chung will continue to improve in this area) in coverage but both players are not as good as James Sanders in the same capacity. Chung seems to be better in close coverage & run support but not as good as reading routes and defenses as James Sanders

So by bringing in Bob Sanders in place of James Sanders would weaken the 2nd level pass defense which I'm not sure I want. However, I would agree that the run defense would improve if he is used properly and doesn't get hurt (which we know will happen eventually).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference