PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Sanders cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I endorse that move :D

Turning on the Wayback Machine remember when an early career Tedy Bruschi dropped the easy pass on the fake punt 4th down against the Donks leading to the National Guard debacle? Bru went on to develop into a star and 3 time SB contributor.

Make it so Chung!

Turning on the Wayback Machine remember when an early career Tedy Bruschi dropped the easy pass on the fake punt 4th down against the Donks leading to the National Guard debacle? Bru went on to develop into a star and 3 time SB contributor.

Make it so Chung!

Good memory. Forgot about that one.

Great players and great teams rise from experiencing adversity. My gut tells me that Chung will do the same.

Last edited:
Its not an easy situation to figure out. James Sanders is pretty decent as a FS and had arguably his best year as a Pat last year.

We could also say that Bob Sanders is a tick below Chung (I'm confident that Chung will continue to improve in this area) in coverage but both players are not as good as James Sanders in the same capacity. Chung seems to be better in close coverage & run support but not as good as reading routes and defenses as James Sanders

So by bringing in Bob Sanders in place of James Sanders would weaken the 2nd level pass defense which I'm not sure I want. However, I would agree that the run defense would improve if he is used properly and doesn't get hurt (which we know will happen eventually).

I agree with what you say. But if Sanders can stay healthy and we can sign him for around the minimum, I think we can find a role for him.

The potential impact Sanders has when he's healthy is probably far more significant than the potential contributions of a 6th WR or 5th OT. By bringing him in on a low-cost contract, even if you give him a roster spot on opening day and his salary is guaranteed, it isn't a huge hit if he goes on IR.

As for what Sanders will be willing to take, we'd have to ask him. But he already got paid big in his last contract ($20M guaranteed), so he might be willing to take less to play for a winner. You're probably right that he'll take a big money offer if it's available. And with the draft not being particularly deep in terms of safeties, he might get that big offer. But if he doesn't, I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him for the vet minimum.

What I dont like is cutting a player who the Pats might not be able to get back to have the use of Sanders for however long he lasts.

What I dont like is cutting a player who the Pats might not be able to get back to have the use of Sanders for however long he lasts.

I understand that. I'm still annoyed we lost Ted Larsen while holding a roster spots for Kaczur, and then Neal went down later. At the same time, we had Marques Murrell and Terrence Wheatley on the week 1 roster, so there's room to carry a guy or two who adds nothing.

I just think if Sanders can come in for the minimum, survive TC without injury, he'd be worth a spot, and not the 53rd spot either.

oops.. wrong quote.

Last edited:
I agree with what you say. But if Sanders can stay healthy and we can sign him for around the minimum, I think we can find a role for him.

of coarse you can find a role for an ex all pro for the minimum because it is high reward low risk... the question as always is sanders probably wants more $ than that

of coarse you can find a role for an ex all pro for the minimum because it is high reward low risk... the question as always is sanders probably wants more $ than that

I agree, but I've read reports that several teams will avoid him entirely because of the injury history, which mirrors some of the other posts in this thread.

I do think Sanders will have better offers than ours. But still worth kicking the tires.

sanders would be a nice low pay high risk player. why not and go ahead and roll the dice

hope he can get on some hgh, if not he's probably going to just keep getting hurt and missing work ....AFLAC!

hope he can get on some hgh, if not he's probably going to just keep getting hurt and missing work ....AFLAC!

Well, San Diego usually blows in the first few games. Sanders usually only lasts a few games. He helps the team in those first few weeks before he blows out some body part. Money well spent.

Well, San Diego usually blows in the first few games. Sanders usually only lasts a few games. He helps the team in those first few weeks before he blows out some body part. Money well spent.

that is a damn good point

i wonder if they'll give him preseason off like the old #21

this was the best team that he could have gone to san diego was the #1 over all defense in the NFL last year #1 vs the pass and #4 vs the run and they play in a weak AFC west so they dont need him to throw he's body around like he did with the colts they can keep him fresh for the playoffs

this was the best team that he could have gone to san diego was the #1 over all defense in the NFL last year #1 vs the pass and #4 vs the run and they play in a weak AFC west so they dont need him to throw he's body around like he did with the colts they can keep him fresh for the playoffs

seems like he would have been better off in a better secondary (jets or pats)

seems like he would have been better off in a better secondary (jets or pats)

i dont think the pats ever relly looked at him and you have to see he's side of the story... if your a vet and your looking to extend your career would you want to play 8 games in cold NJ on turf or 8 game in sunny san diego on grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes