PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Sanders cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant see bringing in Sanders when he cant play at 100%

Even the healthiest NE DBs wind up on IR and Sanders is already all beat up.

Wasn't one of the knocks on Rodney that he was injury prone ?

No. Schottenheimer thought he had lost speed due to an injury and mistakenly believed speed was Rodney's game. Bill thought better...

Sanders had 2 all pro seasons in 7 years. He even dropped in the draft because of injury. He played in 4 games in his rookie year. He played in 48 games and started 46 out of a possible 112 in 7 seasons... Part of the equation in evaluating a player value is durability. If he can't get on the field or stay on the field no matter how talented he may be he just isn't worth all that much to any team. Rodney only missed the usual game here and there until his 7th season in SD when he missed 10. In 2009 Polian swore he would never cut Bob. He started one game in 2010. The cap savings to the Colts by cutting Bob will amount to about $2.4M. James Sanders makes more than that... The guy who replaced Bob (Bullitt) is a FA. Keeping Bob on the roster until September would not have cost the Colts a cent beyond a $500K off season workout bonus if there isn't a lockout. Polian cut him because he no longer believes eventually Bob will either get healthy or remain healthy.

By comparison, Rodney Harrison had played in 123 of a possible 144 games in his 9 seasons with SD before we acquired him at nearly the same age. His durability wasn't in question, whether as the result of an injury he'd lost speed that was critical to his game was what Shottsie questioned. Belichick believed instinct and drive and violence moreso than speed was his game. Speed, aggression and violence are the hallmarks of Sanders career, only it appears he sustains even more damage in the process than he inflicts. He knocks himself out of the game as often if not moreso than his opponents.

Rodney ultimately suffered a couple of more traumatic knee injuries that cost him and the team several games during his third and fouth seasons here - which were his 12th and 13th seasons in the league. But he was even able to come back from those - and was willing to endure restructure even though he'd been wildly underpaid for his time here - to prove he could - and play 2 more seasons at a high level before retiring. There is really no valid comparison between the career's of those two safeties. Sanders has been unable to come back and play at any level for more than half of an entire career of half that duration due to a variety of knee, shoulder and bicepts injuries. Given all they invested in him if Polian believed their was an iceberg's chance in hell of Sanders ever returning to DPOY form or even Melvin Bullitt form on a consistent bases, he wouldn't have walked away from him at a time when it would cost him little or nothing to wait and see one more off season...with a defense desperate for playmakers.

I cant see bringing in Sanders when he cant play at 100%

Even the healthiest NE DBs wind up on IR and Sanders is already all beat up.

If he comes in for the minimum with some incentives on play time, I don't see what the risk is. If he can make it through TC and earn a roster spot, then even if he gets injured later, it isn't a huge cost in terms of cap space. It could be a low-risk, high-reward gamble.

Robert, would you get rid of BM though and expect Bob to replace him though? You can't count on Bob. Colts would lucky enough to have Melvin Bullitt who was good enough to start.

Robert, would you get rid of BM though and expect Bob to replace him though? You can't count on Bob. Colts would lucky enough to have Melvin Bullitt who was good enough to start.

Froob- Here is what I said...

I am in favor of adding Sanders but not at the expense of BM or Chung's playing time as he is IMO on the brink of emerging as a top-level SS.

As I also stated, despite his shortcomings, I think the defense is better with BM that without him.

Last edited:
Froob- Here is what I said...

As I also stated, despite his shortcomings, I think the defense is better with BM that without him.

Ok. As long as we aren't relying on him too much. Bringing him in wouldn't hurt. Hopefully BM picks up his game with Patricia coaching him. Oh and I think I misread your post back there, though you wanted Bm out. Must of been someone else.

Last edited:
Wasn't one of the knocks on Rodney that he was injury prone ?
I believe that the knock on Rodney was that he had lost a step or 3 but that was because the Chargers let him play with a pretty bad groin injury instead of putting him on IR.

Ok. As long as we aren't relying on him too much. Bringing him in wouldn't hurt. Hopefully BM picks up his game with Patricia coaching him. Oh and I think I misread your post back there, though you wanted Bm out. Must of been someone else.

While I believe that he does sometimes take bad angles on receivers and free-lances too much, his athleticism and play-making ability is undeniable. I firmly believe that BM is a big part of the reason this defense gave up close to the fewest long passing plays in the NFL. The guy simply covers more real estate than Century 21 :D

Last edited:
While I believe that he does sometimes take bad angles on receivers and free-lances too much, his athleticism and play-making ability is undeniable. I firmly believe that BM is a big part of the reason this defense gave up close to the fewest long passing plays in the NFL. The guy simply covers more real estate than Century 21 :D

Reminds me a lot of Polamalu(Troy obviously a much better tackler), Packers caught him free lancing in the super bowl a couple of times. I think on one of Jennings touchdowns he was wide open in the corner of the endzone while Troy was standing around in the middle of the field :lol2:

Last edited:
Reminds me a lot of Polamalu, Packers caught him free lancing in the super bowl a couple of times. I think on one of Jennings touchdowns he was wide open in the corner of the endzone while Troy was standing around in the middle of the field :lol2:

Polamalu has better instincts than BM. Plus hes 100x better vs the run, takes better angles, etc.

He may have been duped by Rodgers in the SB, but in all fairness was injured last year. He is the best SS in the NFL.

Last edited:
The guy was an amazing player when healthy. I hope things work out for him, especially away from the Colts.

Amen to that.

Bob Sanders was, bar none, my favorite Non Patriots player in the entire league, back in his playing days. His impact on Indy's hitherto horrific Run Defense, when he finally joined them just in time for the 2006 PlayOffs, was SEISMIC.

I would LOVE to bring this guy in. As our D continues to rapidly coalesce ~ and is hopefully dramatically augmented in April ~ there is no reason to think that his responsibilities in OUR system would bring him into Harm's Way anywhere near as relentlessly as has been the case, in dealing with Indy's Run Defense ~ ******ant Front 7.

A year with us, rotating in as a 4th Safety in a swiftly improving Defense, seems to me to be exactly what the doctor ordered, in allowing him to heal and rebuild his endurance for the 20 Game Season...After that, we could take a look at how he's been doing, and how he fits, but, frankly, I already imagine he might be an absolutely perfect fit as that hybrid Box Safety, playing half the snaps, which might be just the perfect level of involvement to allow him to sustain and even improve his durability, while also being, perhaps, an absolutely perfect fit for his Skill Set.

I could very easily see Bob Sanders recouping and reinvigorating his health as a Role Safety in our System, in just that manner...and, then becoming an invaluable part of our Defense ~ perhaps, again, the best Run Stopping Safety in the WORLD ~ for the next 5 to 6 years!!

We could sign him to a half season contract and put a sign on him saying "IN case of emergency break glass." Break glass and pull handle week 10 and hope he can last the rest of the way.

We could sign him to a half season contract and put a sign on him saying "IN case of emergency break glass." Break glass and pull handle week 10 and hope he can last the rest of the way.

LOL, The one thing I hated about this guy is he would be hurt the entire season, show up for the pats game and play like a beast and then disappear onto the injury report for the rest of the year.

Sign the beast.....to an incentive laden contract.

Sanders was one of belichick's favorites - him and Ed Reed. No doubt Bill will look into this with his magnifying glass - you know he will.
Where did you get that Sanders is one of BB's favorites?
Perhaps he is, perhaps he isn't, but I'd be interested to know what you are basing that opinion on.
Favorite or not, what good is a football player who can't get on the field?

Where did you get that Sanders is one of BB's favorites?
Perhaps he is, perhaps he isn't, but I'd be interested to know what you are basing that opinion on.
Favorite or not, what good is a football player who can't get on the field?

Wow ... that says a lot .......... :bricks:

The Boston Herald's Ian Rapoport believes the Patriots may end up kicking the tires on free agent SS Bob Sanders.
He could be a shrewd signing for a Patriots team that already has two very talented safeties in Brandon Meriweather and Patrick Chung. However, the Pats also have one of the most disciplined front offices in all of pro sports, and likely won't be the high-bidders for the supremely talented but brittle Sanders.

-Just read it on rotoworld.

Wow ... that says a lot .......... :bricks:
Huh?
I asked what you were basing it on. Is that too difficult a question to answer?
If there is a justifiable reason to belief that your opinion that Sanders is 'one of BBs favorites' that would be very important to the discussion. If you just guessed at it, then it would have a lot less value.
I dont know how me asking you a question is supposed to 'say a lot'

I just love it how Patriots fan start salivating every time a good player becomes a FA or is available in the trade. It is as if the Patriots are the only team interested...of course these blinders must be on all the fan for their local team. And nothing can be as bad as the WEEI Baseball Hotstove talk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes