PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Sanders cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that he's no longer a Colt, I've got to admit that Bob Sanders was one of my favourite non-Patriots players.

(Being injured a lot is a strange thing. On the one hand, there are so many injuries in the NFL that some people will throw bad dice several times in a row. If the rehab is complete then there is no reason to think that a guy will have the same bad luck again in the future. On the other hand, some injuries are cumulative and take the edge off the athleticism players need to be right at the top (perfect example: Deion Branch) Could Sanders still be a special player in the future? For someone whose game is based on explosive hitting you'd have to bet against.)

Now that he's no longer a Colt, I've got to admit that Bob Sanders was one of my favourite non-Patriots players.

(Being injured a lot is a strange thing. On the one hand, there are so many injuries in the NFL that some people will throw bad dice several times in a row. If the rehab is complete then there is no reason to think that a guy will have the same bad luck again in the future. On the other hand, some injuries are cumulative and take the edge off the athleticism players need to be right at the top (perfect example: Deion Branch) Could Sanders still be a special player in the future? For someone whose game is based on explosive hitting you'd have to bet against.)

Looking at his injury history...

2006- Knee injury
2008- High ankle sprain, knee injury/swelling in knee (same knee from rookie year)
2009- Arm injury
2010- Torn bicep

Not sure what this tells us other than the dude gets hurt a lot. Hes just a little more fragile than most players.

Interesting, thanks. Sounds like it's a matter of investigating the knee and, if that's OK, someone taking the risk. I'd be more than happy if that were the Patriots.

Watch the Jets cut Wilson and sign Sanders just to make sure the Pats don't look into this more closely :rolleyes:

OJ Atogwe cut.

Now I have almost as much interest in Atogwe as I do Sanders.

OJ Atogwe cut.

Now I have almost as much interest in Atogwe as I do Sanders.

I'd be happy to see Atogwe, but not on a massive contract. Also seems a decent player.

Wasn't one of the knocks on Rodney that he was injury prone ?

I'd love to bring Bob Sanders in on a 1 year deal.

Not really interested in getting him, he hasn't played in almost 2 full years and he's the most injury prone player in the league. He's like shawn crable, only he's(bob) actually good the few times he plays.

Not really interested in getting him, he hasn't played in almost 2 full years and he's the most injury prone player in the league. He's like shawn crable, only he's(bob) actually good the few times he plays.

Shawn Crable- 2nd round flop w/ .5 career sacks and a handful of games.

Bob Sanders- 2-time All-Pro, SB champion, 2007 DPoY.

C'mon now...

Last edited:
Shawn Crable- 2nd round flop w/ .5 career sacks and a handful of games.

Bob Sanders- 2-time All-Pro, SB champion, 2007 DPoY.

C'mon now...

identical.jpg

If Sanders is smart he will go to a warm-weather team that plays on grass and that does not intend to play him every down. The Colt's field is pretty bad (but Club Med compared to the Cowboy's new stadium).

If Sanders is smart he will go to a warm-weather team that plays on grass and that does not intend to play him every down. The Colt's field is pretty bad (but Club Med compared to the Cowboy's new stadium).

I don't know if there is a scientific reason for all of Sanders' injuries but your suggestion of playing less snaps is a good start to keeping him fresh and reducing the likelihood of getting hurt.

But the problem with a guy like Sanders is that he is not changing his style of play as he will lose his effectiveness. So in theory, playing less make make sense but realistically I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

I guess for veteran minimum it's worth a shot. Don't play him until the playoffs(or vs colts) :D . Do we know if he can still play? He basically hasn't played in two years.

So Weird! I was literally just thinking about what the hell happened to Sanders and how he was such a beast back in 2007, and I had completely forgotten about him and starting thinking how the colts were probably going to be getting him back soon. Hes still pretty young so i don't know why anyone would think he'd retire. If he can stay healthy he can get back to about his old self. a 75% bob sanders is still better than the big bang clock.

Regular season numbers...

Bob Sanders (2008-2010)

Games Played: 9
Tackles: 27
Sacks: 0
Forced Fumbles: 0
Interceptions: 2

Brandon Meriweather (2008-2010)

Games Played: 48
Tackles: 157
Sacks: 2
Forced Fumbles: 4
Interceptions: 12

Patrick Chung (2009-2010)

Games Played: 30
Tackles: 84
Forced Fumbles: 1
Interceptions: 4

In 7 NFL seasons, Bob Sanders has played in 10 games or more only twice. In 4 NFL seasons, Meriweather hasn't missed a game.
In 2 NFL seasons, Chung has missed 2 games.

In 7 NFL seasons, Bob Sanders has played in a total of 48 games
In 4 NFL seasons, Meriweather has played in a total of 64 games
In 2 NFL seasons, Chung has played in a total of 30 games

Sanders has 4 career forced fumbles. Meriweather has 5, Chung has 1
Sanders has 6 career interceptions. Meriweather has 12, Chung has 4
Sanders has 16 career passes defensed. Meriweather has 27, Chung has 10
Sanders has 3.5 career sacks, all in 2007. Meriweather has 2 career sacks, both in 2008. Chung has 2, both in 2009.

I don't know that there's a place for him in New England, since I expect that he'll still want to be a starter.

Last edited:
Regular season numbers...

Bob Sanders (2008-2010)

Games Played: 9
Tackles: 27
Sacks: 0
Forced Fumbles: 0
Interceptions: 2

Brandon Meriweather (2008-2010)

Games Played: 48
Tackles: 157
Forced Fumbles: 4
Interceptions: 12

Patrick Chung (2009-2010)

Games Played: 30
Tackles: 84
Forced Fumbles: 1
Interceptions: 4

In 7 NFL seasons, Bob Sanders has played in 10 games or more only twice. In 4 NFL seasons, Meriweather hasn't missed a game.
In 2 NFL seasons, Chung has missed 2 games.

In 7 NFL seasons, Bob Sanders has played in a total of 48 games
In 4 NFL seasons, Meriweather has played in a total of 64 games
In 2 NFL seasons, Chung has played in a total of 30 games

Sanders has 4 career forced fumbles. Meriweather has 5, Chung has 1
Sanders has 6 career interceptions. Meriweather has 12, Chung has 4
Sanders has 16 career passes defensed. Meriweather has 27, Chung has 10
Sanders has 3.5 career sacks, all in 2007. Meriweather has 2 career sacks, both in 2008. Chung has 2, both in 2009.

I don't know that there's a place for him in New England, since I expect that he'll still want to be a starter.

If Sanders could return to DPOY form hed start easily.

Sanders was one of belichick's favorites - him and Ed Reed. No doubt Bill will look into this with his magnifying glass - you know he will.

If Sanders could return to DPOY form hed start easily.

Perhaps but it would not in place of BM as they have different roles in the defense. Sanders is a SS whereas BW is FS. Now, hypothetically speaking if BW is removed from the picture (which I am against) could Chung slide over to FS and Sanders play SS? I guess so. But you then need to determine who the backup FS and SS are. Sanders? Page? McGowen?

But the big question is Sanders' health or complete inability to actually stay healthy.

So I am in favor of adding Sanders but not at the expense of BM or Chung's playing time as he is IMO on the brink of emerging as a top-level SS.

Last edited:
Sanders was one of belichick's favorites - him and Ed Reed. No doubt Bill will look into this with his magnifying glass - you know he will.

No question that BB will be making a phone call.

Q: How much of a different team are they look-wise from having Bob Sanders and not having Bob Sanders?

BB: Bob Sanders is a great player, there’s no doubt about that. I would say that [Melvin] Bullitt, who has taken his place, plays a lot like Bob Sanders. He’s very aggressive. He’s fast; He goes 1,000 miles an hour. He’s looking to blow up somebody every chance he gets. I’m not saying he’s Bob Sanders. I don’t think there’s a lot of Bob Sanders’ out there, but he plays that way. It’s a similar style, that same kind of aggressiveness. Bullitt’s got his share of big hits, too. It looks the same, but I’m not saying you replace Bob Sanders.

It Is What It Is Bill Belichick Q&A, 11/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes