PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Sanders cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steroids is bad.

I agree...this has Jets written all over it..one year contract with high profile team...a career resurrection opportunity...and he has pretty feet.

I don't think he passes their character test. Where's the arrest record? The social dysfunction? The self-promoting? :)

I don't think he passes their character test. Where's the arrest record? The social dysfunction? The self-promoting? :)

He's still young enough to learn all that. ;)

oh my god, did this really happen? I don't care about the injuries he's had. If Bob Sanders is in a Patriots uniform next year I will be beyond ecstatic! I was hoping he'd be released.

Sanders will go down as one of the few likely would have been Hall Of Famers had he stayed healthy

No doubts IMO that Sanders was as good or better than Polamalu and Reed when he was healthy....which was a rare occasion.

He pocketed $25M of his $37.5M 2007 contract extension and played in 9 games in the last 3 seasons...

He still wants to play but no one is going to give him any guaranteed money to so he may end up retired. Even if you incentivized a deal for him with roster bonuses tied to games played, thing is you can't count on him for any...which means just using a roster spot on him comes at a cost.

That the Colts couldn't find a way to do something via restructure of his remaining $12.5M over 2 seasons to hang onto him tells me he doesn't intend to play on an incentivized pay as you go deal (at least at this time because he's likely delusional as most players are) and they have no reason to believe anything will have changed via his durability.

Is there any solid indication that Sanders is looking for guaranteed money, though? He would come dirt cheap and, with the safety corps we have, we can afford to take a look at a guy that, when healthy, could have a Rodney Harrison type effect on our defense. If he gets hurt, then we're deep enough at safety to absorb any potential impact.

Last edited:
Is there any solid indication that Sanders is looking for guaranteed money, though? He would come dirt cheap and, with the safety corps we have, we can afford to take a look at a guy that, when healthy, could have a Rodney Harrison type effect on our defense. If he gets hurt, then we're deep enough at safety to absorb any potential impact.

I agree with those remarks. it's all about where Sander's head is at over his own situation and what he wants. If he has any bitterness abotu it, goign to a rival would be a good way to exorcise those demons ;)

From a play perspective, he could provide help on that 3rd down defense, though he'll break down sooner or later (most likely0. He's all of 185/190 lbs? he throws hiself at guys who outweigh him quite a bit, but he can definitely thread a seem and get in for a tackle.

Like other posters have said, he was Reed/Polamalu in 2007 and has been the most fragile player in the league since. I would take a look at him for cheap, you never know if he could return to form, he's 29.

Like other posters have said, he was Reed/Polamalu in 2007 and has been the most fragile player in the league since. I would take a look at him for cheap, you never know if he could return to form, he's 29.

Not the same player IMO.

He doesn't have the cover and ball skills like Reed.

He doesn't have the ball and range like Polomalu.

However, those two don't have the sheer ability (Polamalu more than Reed) to somehow, someway destroy ball carriers. Just amazing.

Not the same player IMO.

He doesn't have the cover and ball skills like Reed.

He doesn't have the ball and range like Polomalu.

However, those two don't have the sheer ability (Polamalu more than Reed) to somehow, someway destroy ball carriers. Just amazing.

I am not so sure he lacks cover skills

When he was healthy and playing at his best you wouldn't know whether he was a DB,LB or a Safety...he was ALWAYS where the ball carrier was and the ball carrier KNEW who he was ..once he gathered his brains off the ground that is :cool:

No doubt he was a one man gang at times in that Colts defense...He was the Tom Brady of the Colts D and once he got injured the Colts D suffered mightly

I am not so sure he lacks cover skills

He has them. He is just not on the same level as Reed. Keep in mind Reed is close to GOAT at that position (FS). Which is a different position then Sanders plays

When he was healthy and playing at his best you wouldn't know whether he was a DB,LB or a Safety...he was ALWAYS where the ball carrier was and the ball carrier KNEW who he was ..once he gathered his brains off the ground that is :cool:

No doubt he was a one man gang at times in that Colts defense...He was the Tom Brady of the Colts D and once he got injured the Colts D suffered mightly

Agree 100% on Sanders. BB would have no problem with a guy like Sanders on this defense -as long as he stayed healthy.

I'd take him but not for as much $$ as some other team would pay. Maybe he'd take less to stick it to IND?

Either the Colts think he's done, or he's looking for more money than the Colts are willing to pay. Either of those would serve as a red flag to Belichick.

I've been watching the Patriots enough to know that's only bad news when that happens. I can remember the Patriots relying on strong safeties to creep into the box like that in years in which the D was really bad.

Rodney Harrison says hi.

:confused:

Either the Colts think he's done, or he's looking for more money than the Colts are willing to pay. Either of those would serve as a red flag to Belichick.

It could also be that the Colts look to have to ante up to pay Manning and, when considering how injury prone he's been, made the easy choice to cut Bob Sanders and his high cap hit. Remember now that they haven't ruled out bringing him back yet.

EDIT: Also don't forget that the Chargers thought Rodney was done, and look what he did for our defense...

Last edited:
It could also be that the Colts look to have to ante up to pay Manning and, when considering how injury prone he's been, made the easy choice to cut Bob Sanders and his high cap hit. Remember now that they haven't ruled out bringing him back yet.

But that would fall under "asking too much money". There is no cap right now, and the only money he was owed was to be a workout bonus.

But that would fall under "asking too much money". There is no cap right now, and the only money he was owed was to be a workout bonus.

I wouldn't be surprised if he lowered his asking price now, though. Every team in the NFL that is interested in him is going to bring up his checkered injury history when negotiating with him. His price may go down quite a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if he lowered his asking price now, though. Every team in the NFL that is interested in him is going to bring up his checkered injury history when negotiating with him. His price may go down quite a bit.

Well, if nothing else, DW Toys and those posters of like mind should provide some interesting "Sanders replacing Sanders" posts.

Last edited:
Well, if nothing else, DW Toys and those posters of like mind should provide some interesting "Sanders replacing Sanders" posts.

Will the new Sanders pick Peyton like the old Sanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back