PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing Blount is really a giant finesse back, then. ;)

Thank you. One of the softest runners I have ever seen at his size. Goes into his shell at the first sign of resistance (e.g., AFCCG). One thing in his favor, if he gets through the hole without encountering anyone he has the speed to take it the distance. But still, not worth a roster spot since we have Gray who is a much, much tougher runner.

I don't care if Blount was a jackass on the Steelers, what he'll do here is what mattered.

Yes, Jonas Grey is doing great but what happens if he's injured?

Sign the Beast! You can NEVER have too much firepower!
I think what he did here last year will be what this decision is based on. I have a feeling though that he wore out his welcome.
If not, how can you not want him instead Brandon Bolden?

Let's remind ourselves something:

The main reason people wanted Legarette Blount back was because of his production versus the Indianapolis Colts in the playoffs. Jonas Gray just matched and exceeded that production this past week.

Rushing productivity is largely a function of the OL's play, outside of a select few backs. Sadly, Ridley was one of those backs who I do think had real value over replacement (putting aside the fumbles). Nonetheless, the point remains that Blount would offer us nothing that Jonas Gray couldn't - which is the ability to pick up the yards the OL creates for him.

And Blount is a jackass. So I'll take Jonas Gray.

Pretty sure blount had more than just one really good game. I'm not sold on gray after just one great game. Lets see how he plays going forward.

Blount was very, very good for this team last year.

He was very, very good for a few week period at the end of the year. He was solid for a few weeks before that and, frankly, not that great for the first half of the year. Decent average, but inconsistent and a total toe-tapper if the line didn't give him obvious room. For a big guy, Blount has a bad case of twinkle toes.

I'll be surprised if NE puts a claim in on him.

Last edited:
Funny how people killed the Pats for not re-signing him.

I don't like that there are several big power backs being cut at a time when two of the Pats' biggest rivals for the AFC are in desperate need of a big power back.
if the pats had signed him we probably wouldn't have herd of j grey. he left the field because of lack of playing time, that wouldn't have happened here.

Guarantee you he's on a plane to Denver. He'd step in immediately as their number one back.

If he does sign with Denver, then Blount and his buddy Talib will have played together on 3 different teams in 3 years (TB 2012, NE 2013, Denver 2014).

The main reason people wanted Legarette Blount back was because of his production versus the Indianapolis Colts in the playoffs. Jonas Gray just matched and exceeded that production this past week.

Rushing productivity is largely a function of the OL's play, outside of a select few backs. Sadly, Ridley was one of those backs who I do think had real value over replacement (putting aside the fumbles). Nonetheless, the point remains that Blount would offer us nothing that Jonas Gray couldn't - which is the ability to pick up the yards the OL creates for him.

To be fair Blount was a beast for the entire second half of the season (not just the Indy game). I'm not ready to deem Jonas Gray the next Corey Dillon just yet, so I think the more depth the better. Plus, injuries are always happening anyway.

If we ever got a 10+ point lead in the playoffs/SB heading into the 4th quarter, having Blount would be huge. I would take him back for the rest of the year if he would be content with his role (why would he be if he wasn't in Pitt?)

Gray: starter, 75-80% of carries
Blount: reserve, 4th quarter clock killer

He was very, very good for a few week period at the end of the year. He was solid for a few weeks before that and, frankly, not that great for the first half of the year. Not a bad average, but inconsistent and a total toe-tapper if the line didn't give him obvious room. For a big guy, Blount has a bad case of twinkle toes.

I'll be surprised if NE puts a claim in on him.

I liked Blount, but your assessment is accurate.
Assuming the very unlikely event he clears ~30 waivers down to us, the issue is assuming he wasn't let go here because of attitude, is he an improvement over our current depth? I say he's better than Bolden.

Unfortunately, I will bet you anything that he ends up in Denver.

He smoked the Jills for 189 just before that as well. The rushing was largely due to weather and weak run defenses. That's what I saw.

Thank you. One of the softest runners I have ever seen at his size. Goes into his shell at the first sign of resistance (e.g., AFCCG). One thing in his favor, if he gets through the hole without encountering anyone he has the speed to take it the distance. But still, not worth a roster spot since we have Gray who is a much, much tougher runner.

The argument is not Blount vs. Gray.

It is what do we have behind Gray if he gets injured.

he is not coming here. last thing they want to do is affect gray's confidence .Besides gray,white,bolden,vereen. Hard to see a spot for him. Not to mention , who knows where is head is at right now.

DON'T LET HIM GO TO DENVER. WE CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN. NO WAY.

What are the odds this happens right after Jonas Gray rips off 199 yards and 4TDs?!

They have no control over that, Denver has a worse record. That said I wouldn't want him given his behavior this season.

Don't see us putting in a claim. Not after the Indy game. Why risking upsetting the balance in the locker room?

Blount is not big enough of an upgrade (if at all) for that.

To be fair Blount was a beast for the entire second half of the season (not just the Indy game).

He was very, very good for a few week period at the end of the year. He was solid for a few weeks before that and, frankly, not that great for the first half of the year.

Lots of disagreement on this, and IMO none of us remember as clearly as we think. The actual game logs:
http://www.nfl.com/player/legarretteblount/497149/gamelogs?season=2013

he is not coming here. last thing they want to do is affect gray's confidence .Besides gray,white,bolden,vereen. Hard to see a spot for him. Not to mention , who knows where is head is at right now.

Why would you keep Bolden if you had Blount???
How would an injury backup guy (Blount) affect Gray's confidence? He's not a wimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes