PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bloomberg: Manning is no Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000039&refer=columnist_soshnick&sid=aU1_RApWE8Xg#

Colts' Manning Shows Us Why He's No Tom Brady:
Scott Soshnick is a Bloomberg News columnist.

Jan. 17 (Bloomberg) -- On the narrow confines of the playing field, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning has mastered the art of the audible.

That's the football term for when a quarterback steps behind the center, surveys the defensive alignment, and has the smarts to change the play without input from the coaching staff.

Manning could have used some of that poise after his team's 21-18 loss playoff to the Pittsburgh Steelers two days ago.

Instead, the record-setting quarterback committed one of the ultimate team-sport sins: He assigned blame to someone other than himself. He pointed fingers. If athletic no-no's were inscribed on stone tablets, ``Thou Shalt Not Blast Your Teammates Publicly'' would be high on the list of commandments.

Reporters queried Manning about the Steelers' defensive blitzkrieg, which produced five sacks, countless knockdowns and a number of uncharacteristically wobbly tosses from the former National Football League Most Valuable Player.

``I'm trying to be a good teammate here,'' Manning told the assembled media horde.

At that moment ears perked up, pens steadied, tape recorders rolled.
Here was Manning, the son of an NFL quarterback, a straight-A student of the game, the consummate team player, making a conscious decision to depart from his cliché comfort zone.

``Let's just say we had some problems in protection,'' said Manning, whose postseason record stands at 3-6. ``I'll give Pittsburgh credit for their blitzes and their rush, but we did have some problems.''

`We,' Not Me

Translation: I couldn't do my job because the offensive linemen didn't do theirs. Not smart. Manning would have been wise to let the assembled pundits point out the deficiencies of his teammates.

Let's compare Manning's post-game autopsy with that of his New England Patriots counterpart, Tom Brady, who is perhaps the best on- and off-field leader in sports.

Like Manning, Brady had just suffered a crushing defeat -- 27-13 to the Denver Broncos -- a drubbing that halted the Patriots' pursuit of their third consecutive Super Bowl championship.

Brady spoke in terms of ``we'' and not me. Brady, who threw a costly interception, never singled anyone out for blame or praise. He could have said something about the usually reliable Adam Vinatieri missing a field goal or Troy Brown's muffing a fourth-quarter punt. But he knew better.

``It's disappointing when you look back at the game and you realize how many points we just laid up on a silver platter,'' Brady said. There's that ``we'' word again.

United We Stand

Brady recognizes that his success is directly related to the effectiveness of his linemen, a beer-belly bunch committed to knocking the bejesus out of the opponent so that the model- dating quarterback doesn't get pulverized.

Brady is so appreciative of his 300-pound life preservers that he even told Visa International Inc. he would only participate in a credit-card commercial if the company included his offensive line. Visa agreed, giving the usually overlooked linemen speaking parts in an ad that played off their roles as Brady's protectors.

Manning, by contrast, appears in an NFL promotion all alone, mocking the fans' obsession with superstar athletes like quarterbacks.

Learn From Junior

Manning might also learn from his younger brother, Eli, whose New York Giants were shellacked by the Carolina Panthers in their Jan. 8 playoff game. In that 23-0 drubbing, Eli Manning threw for just 113 yards while tossing three interceptions. He was also sacked four times.

``I didn't play well. I didn't make enough plays. I made too many mistakes for us to win,'' Eli Manning said.

The Giants' offensive line didn't play well, either. Neither did running back Tiki Barber. Eli Manning, a second-year pro, already knows what his big brother should have learned long ago -- that frustration is no excuse for loose lips.

Rare is the athlete who can publicly disparage a teammate without some sort of retribution. One who comes to mind is former Chicago Bulls star Michael Jordan, who frequently chastised teammates for not elevating their performances.

``It depends on who the guys are,'' said New York Knicks coach Larry Brown, a Hall of Fame member who trumpets a play- the-right-way mantra. ``I've heard Michael do it. Because everybody knew he tried to do everything the right way all the time I think they could handle it.''

Until Peyton Manning has a championship ring, let alone six like Jordan, perhaps he should save the audible for the field. Facing incensed teammates in the locker room is a lot worse than staring down a Steelers' blitz on the field.

To contact the writer of this column:
Scott Soshnick in New York at [email protected]
Last Updated: January 17, 2006 00:08 EST

well

I didn't need him to tell me that---but still a good read. This part was very telling:

Brady is so appreciative of his 300-pound life preservers that he even told Visa International Inc. he would only participate in a credit-card commercial if the company included his offensive line. Visa agreed, giving the usually overlooked linemen speaking parts in an ad that played off their roles as Brady's protectors.

Good one Mikey!

Manning, by contrast, appears in an NFL promotion all alone, mocking the fans' obsession with superstar athletes like quarterbacks.
Hmm, we recently talked about this in another thread on this board. Great to see someone else noticed this rather large contrast.

What's also humorous, though to be expected, is how many media members changed their tune on Peyton Manning after last week's game. I've noticed more mocking asides referencing Manning's inability to win more times in the past few days than over the entirety of his career. I guess everyone finally got the memo.

Wow, I didn't know that. (I've only been going to this board for about a month). When I made a remark not long ago to my dad about Manning getting so much more money than Brady, he told me about the whole Brady taking a pay cut to help out the team, and it blew me away. I already thought the guy was the best quarterback in the league, but apparently he's also just a really nice guy... wow :rocker:

CheerforTom said:
Wow, I didn't know that. (I've only been going to this board for about a month). When I made a remark not long ago to my dad about Manning getting so much more money than Brady, he told me about the whole Brady taking a pay cut to help out the team, and it blew me away. I already thought the guy was the best quarterback in the league, but apparently he's also just a really nice guy... wow :rocker:

Peter King has written about it before, and has given Brady credit for including his teammates in ads (remember the Sirius ad last year with the receivers), plus kudos for his reasonable contract. To tell you the truth, I did not know how much influence Brady had on getting his lineman in the commercial, if its true, it make me admire him even more.

If you want to compare the locker room atmosphere between the Patriots and the Colts, read what Edgerring James said about the Colts before the season started:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...rin+james,Colts,"jackson",dysfunctional&hl=en

"Man, we're like The Jackson 5," James said. "To everyone on the outside, it looks like we're tight as hell. We're out there, on the playing field, making it all look so effortless, and all the [expletive] running perfectly. Then we go home and it's Jermaine's in this room, Tito's in another and Randy ain't talking to no one. When you get up close, it's all dysfunctional."

You can clearly see the difference between the Mannings and Brady.

When the season ended, Eli packed up his bag and went home to Mississippi/New Orleans. I am not sure if Eli brought a home here in NJ/NY, but I know he rented a place in Hoboken. But the guy is never here in the offseason. The only time he comes back is for publicity shots with his brother. The Mannings never hang out with any teammates. After 9 years in the league, I am not sure if Payton has any friends in the league. In fact, I believe his only friend outside the team is Brady.

In contrast, Brady not only work but he also lives in Boston. He moved his sisters from CA to NE. He does charity works in the area. He is best friends of every one in the team. He was Izzo's best man. He went to the Kentucky derby with teammates and stayed in Redman's home. He still keep in touch with Antowain and Woody. He is just a great guy who appreciates his teammates.

Mikey, I agree...two different senarios.
I think what makes Brady relate to his teammates or his teammates relate to him is that he was not groomed to be an NFL star like the Mannings. Eli and Peyton were given this as their birthright. Brady, a 6th round draft pick, worked and still works his butt off for every inch he has gained in his success.

I knew Brady was in Izzo's wedding, but I didn't know he was the Best Man. He was Jay Feely's Best Man last summer - I read that in the NY Post.

One other interested thing that people may or may not know about what kind of friend/teammate is. When Richard Seymour's Dad died a couple of years ago, Brady one of of the few Richard called in the days following. Brady was in Europe when Seymour called him. He cut his trip short and jumped a plane to Seymour's home in North Carolina (I believe that is where he lives in the off season) and stayed with Richard for a few days and helped him out (along with Willie McGuinnest) in getting through the tragedy and also with arrangements etc...

My point is, this is a VERY close team and it usually starts from the top down and Brady sets a great example to all around him.

Last edited:
I thought that commercial was about Russ Hochstein. Tell me he
didn't steal the show! "Why can't I be the director?"

me too i thought Ross was great

Drewwho said:
Mikey, I agree...two different senarios.
I think what makes Brady relate to his teammates or his teammates relate to him is that he was not groomed to be an NFL star like the Mannings. Eli and Peyton were given this as their birthright. Brady, a 6th round draft pick, worked and still works his butt off for every inch he has gained in his success.

I knew Brady was in Izzo's wedding, but I didn't know he was the Best Man. He was Jay Feely's Best Man last summer - I read that in the NY Post.

One other interested thing that people may or may not know about what kind of friend/teammate is. When Richard Seymour's Dad died a couple of years ago, Brady one of of the few Richard called in the days following. Brady was in Europe when Seymour called him. He cut his trip short and jumped a plan to Seymour's home in North Carolina (I believe that is where he lives in the off season) and stayed with Richard for a few days and helped him out (along with Willie McGuinnest) in getting through the tragedy and also with arrangements etc...

My point is, this is a VERY close team and it usually starts from the top down and Brady sets a great example to all around him.
I did not know this, Drewwho, so thank you for the story. What a great example of what a team guy Brady is. You can't help but notice how the players seem to love Brady. You can even hear the smile in their voices when they talk about him in interviews. Given all the attention Brady could and does command, that could be a very tenuous situation, but Brady has diffused it and managed to put the focus where it belongs....on the team.

Wow!! Thanks for posting this stuff everyone. That quote from James about the Jackson 5 is fantastic!! I had not heard that one before! I also did not know about Tommy coming home early from vacation to be with Sey. That is something great friends do for each other!

Great point DW about the Mannings being groomed as NFL royalty! When things are handed to you your whole life, you don't feel the need to work for anything! I love that Tom still has a chip on his shoulder about where he was drafted and I hope he has an even bigger one about losing to Denver!!!

Another telling fact that Brady truly is a 'good guy' is BB's comments on Tom after he just won the SI Sportsman of the Year. He went out of his way to say that if he could add something to that he would say really he is the person of the year to me!

A pretty telling comment about his QB. I am sure when all is said and done both BB and TB will have some interesting things to say about one another that they would never think of saying before it is over!

Drewwho said:
Another telling fact that Brady truly is a 'good guy' is BB's comments on Tom after he just won the SI Sportsman of the Year. He went out of his way to say that if he could add something to that he would say really he is the person of the year to me!

A pretty telling comment about his QB. I am sure when all is said and done both BB and TB will have some interesting things to say about one another that they would never think of saying before it is over!

Someone said earlier that it starts at the top and Manning's behavior is the reason why the Colts are having such a hard time. I think it goes beyond the quarterbacks to the head coaches! During the Bob Costas interview for the SI Sportsman of the Year, Tom said that BB is like a father figure to him and that everything he does as a player is to earn Bill's approval! You can see that the two of them really like and respect one another! We are truly blessed to have both of them here and working in sync with each other rather than against each other like in Indy!

This has been one of the worst weeks in my life, football wise. BUT, I know that BB and Tom are more upset than I am and that both will be more prepared than ever for the 2006 season.

Bill's Girl said:
Someone said earlier that it starts at the top and Manning's behavior is the reason why the Colts are having such a hard time. I think it goes beyond the quarterbacks to the head coaches! During the Bob Costas interview for the SI Sportsman of the Year, Tom said that BB is like a father figure to him and that everything he does as a player is to earn Bill's approval! You can see that the two of them really like and respect one another! We are truly blessed to have both of them here and working in sync with each other rather than against each other like in Indy!

This has been one of the worst weeks in my life, football wise. BUT, I know that BB and Tom are more upset than I am and that both will be more prepared than ever for the 2006 season.
Yes .. this is very nice.

Growing up, every child wants to get his parents approval.

Little Tommy is living his childhood dream and all he wants is to get his (football) dad's approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back