PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bledsoe coming out of retirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's called incredulity at people who still think Bledsoe can play in today's NFL. These people stopped watching him play in 1996.

I'm glad he got to come in on the AFCCG and play. It was a fitting farewell. But he made two so typically Bledsoe plays, one throwing a ball right into the chest of a LB who fortunately was too surprised to catch it, and that one hook shot heave over his head when about to be sacked for holding the ball too long. Miracle it wasn't a pick six. That should have been enough for anyone.

People who still miss Bledsoe do the Pavlovian drool thang.

But then, you still haven't changed your Gutierrez will have a better career than Cassel sig line (YET), so what can we expect?

Bledsoe is the answer. Yeah, I had a guy at work who never admitted Brady was better than Bledsoe. Come to think of it, he drooled, too.

1.) Try actually reading the sig. Notice that it's a quote. Then notice that the quote's not mine. Reading is fundamental. The saddest part is that you actually posted in that thread in response to the quote in my sig and you STILL can't get it right.

2.) Thank you for making my point about the anti-Bledsoe crowd.

Last edited:
That pass to Brown was one of the most impossible throws I'd ever seen. incredible touch on it.

Bledsoe played well that game.

Amazingly when BB and Charlie Weis reviewed that game tape they came to a different conclusion. Go figure.

He was a pro's pro. Never blamed anyone but himself for a loss and credited his teamates for victories. A rare quality these days.

Well, I remember the first game in 2000 against Tampa Bay. Horrible performance, but a 4th quarter rally. On the last play, Drew throws it out of bounds at the side of the endzone. Later, he says "Terry (Glenn) ran the wrong route." Yeah, that explains the throw...out of bounds.

Last edited:
In a Vinny Testaverde/Jim Miller/Doug Flutie-type role, it could work.

A role he's never played or wanted to play?

All those guys you mention had the confidence of the HC and were happy being subservient to the starter. Something Drew's never been.

Luckily, there is only one Bledsoe thread after the TB injury. But on the negative side, I guess that means we are all getting old.

A sobriety test also could be a helpful addition to the physical exam, because some very credible reports were that he was drinking long and late at Dallas night spots in 2005 and 2006. I don't blame him, because he was being hit often.
I hope Drew drinks responsibly, and rides his motorcycle safely.

Amazingly when BB and Charlie Weis reviewed that game tape they came to a different conclusion. Go figure.

Mo, I respect your posts on this board. I agree with 99% of your posts. However, when it comes to Bledsoe I feel that you refuse to admit he actually did some good things. For every bad thing you can list about Bledsoe, I could list something that was good. That doesnt mean I want him coming in and starting. That would be dumb for anyone to want, but as a backup....hmmmm....Honestly, I like the idea a whole lot more than I like Culpepper, or Vinny. Atleast Drew could hit Moss deep. That would be about it. lol.

Anyway, I just think it's ok for people to mention Bledsoes faults, and we all have to admit he did have alot of faults, but everyone should admit he did some good things to.

Mo, I respect your posts on this board. I agree with 99% of your posts. However, when it comes to Bledsoe I feel that you refuse to admit he actually did some good things. For every bad thing you can list about Bledsoe, I could list something that was good. That doesnt mean I want him coming in and starting. That would be dumb for anyone to want, but as a backup....hmmmm....Honestly, I like the idea a whole lot more than I like Culpepper, or Vinny. Atleast Drew could hit Moss deep. That would be about it. lol.

Anyway, I just think it's ok for people to mention Bledsoes faults, and we all have to admit he did have alot of faults, but everyone should admit he did some good things to.

Over a career, sure. But the fact remains that was not enough to make him even remotely a functional option on a BB team. Many here remain in denial about how Drew's demise transpired. It had as much to do with his performance prior to being injured as it did with the injury. Belichick was the guy who exposed those faults and 18 games after inheriting him here he fully understood they could or would not be correctable. He was on his way out either way, Mo just facilitated the process and made it easier for Belichick than it was in Cleveland when he had to dump the franchise QB in hopes of salvaging the team. Same thing Buffalo's FO and Parcell's had to do with Drew 2 and 4 years later because at his core all the faults remained (including the unwillingness or inability to correct them).

The people who whine that Drew never had a fair chance are no different than those who argue that Jackson didn't. They're in denial about the simple fact that each was a poor system fit. Bill admires physical tools, as any football coach would. He will forgive the occasional mental lapse or physical misstep because he fully appreciates players are human. What he cannot tolerate is players who irrespective of measurables and tools make the same mental mistakes over and over and over again.

Over a career, sure. But the fact remains that was not enough to make him even remotely a functional option on a BB team. Many here remain in denial about how Drew's demise transpired. It had as much to do with his performance prior to being injured as it did with the injury. Belichick was the guy who exposed those faults and 18 games after inheriting him here he fully understood they could or would not be correctable. He was on his way out either way, Mo just facilitated the process and made it easier for Belichick than it was in Cleveland when he had to dump the franchise QB in hopes of salvaging the team. Same thing Buffalo's FO and Parcell's had to do with Drew 2 and 4 years later because at his core all the faults remained (including the unwillingness or inability to correct them).

The people who whine that Drew never had a fair chance are no different than those who argue that Jackson didn't. They're in denial about the simple fact that each was a poor system fit. Bill admires physical tools, as any football coach would. He will forgive the occasional mental lapse or physical misstep because he fully appreciates players are human. What he cannot tolerate is players who irrespective of measurables and tools make the same mental mistakes over and over and over again.

Mo, my man, your first four words agree with the nashvillian however then you go on and on again knocking Drew. The nashvillian's point was let it go, appreciate Drew's accomplishments and quit putting him down. It's over, he's not coming back, you don't have to continue to point out his shortcomings.

Mo, my man, your first four words agree with the nashvillian however then you go on and on again knocking Drew. The nashvillian's point was let it go, appreciate Drew's accomplishments and quit putting him down. It's over, he's not coming back, you don't have to continue to point out his shortcomings.

I don't start threads on Drew. I'll stop pointing out his shortcomings when others stop glossing over them and suggesting he could play for a Belichick coached team.

This whole thread is mildly entertaining, although "mildly" may be too strong a word.

Bledsoe would be the worst choice in the world.

Forget that he is old, out of shape and our playbook is not the same it was 7 years ago. Forget he wasn't really ever that great to begin with.

Bledsoe won't sign on to backup Cassel, only way he comes is to spend a couple of weeks getting ready and then replace Cassel as the starter.

Okay so now we have Cassel looking over his shoulder.

We have a QB who is still pissed at his coach for not letting him start in 2001. We have a coach that is still pissed at his QB for going to the owner to demand he starts.

Now what happens in four week when Cassel is playing decent and Bledsoe feels he is ready, and BB sticks with Matt. Does Bledsoe go to Kraft and b!tch and moan?

Just want the Pat locker room needs a cancer. Brilliant just brilliant.

The internet is so cool. Sports fans can start threads about the most totally inane and disfunctional ideas, blithely ignoring the large body of factual evidence against their opinions. Meanwhile, other fans can have lots of fun pointing out the ignorance of the suggestions, e.g. Bledsoe back to the Pats, Duante C as a Pats QB, Chad Jackson didn't have a chance. Gotta luv it!

The sad part is that these fans pay absolutely NO attention to their head coach's football philosophy whatsoever.

Sign Drew up Im all for it.

Bledsoe-Boston Globe

Anybody have the link to the Boston Globe article claiming Bledsoe may be coming back?

Re: Bledsoe-Boston Globe

Anybody have the link to the Boston Globe article claiming Bledsoe may be coming back?

I believe that the ONLY mention of Bledsoe in the Boston Globe was during Reiss' mail bag in which someone asked Reiss if he felt that Bledsoe would be back. I honstely believe that Reiss had to keep from laughing at the guy during his reply. But Reiss basically said that he didn't believe that there was any chance of a Bledsoe return.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extras/askreiss/09_09_08/?page=3

Last edited:

ok good, i really do not want him at all. hes garbage now

Isn't Bledsoe happily retired? I don't think BB would want him, and I don't think he'd want to play for BB again. A reverse-mutual-admiration-society. This is just a case of everyone throwing every name in the book out there to stir the pot.

This per reiss

If Matt Cassel starts to flounder as the top QB, do you see any chance that Drew Bledsoe would come back? In my opinion I feel he left football with all his skills intact but was just tired of losing the starting job and the politics of football. Might he not be the answer the Patriots could turn too, or is the bridge between the two burned? Can you see if you can find out if he would be willing to put the helmet on again?
Raymond, Osceola, Ark.

A: Raymond, that would be quite the story. But I just don't see that happening, partially because of the way it ended with Bledsoe in New England. Another e-mailer mentioned Doug Flutie as a possibility. I don't see that either.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extras/askreiss/09_09_08/?page=3

couldn't find anything claiming that he was an option

Last edited:

Why even have the thought of bringing in a player that hasnt worked out in months/years?

Why even have the thought of bringing in a player that hasnt worked out in months/years?

Because there are still Bledsoe rumpswabbers who feel that Bledsoe got treated unfairly. Its not different than people wanting to bring in Daunte Culpepper.

People just have no concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes