PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Billy Yates activated from practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
pats1 said:
I know this is already in the Graham Out thread, but just this is to just let everyone know that 53rd spot has been filled by OG/C Billy Yates.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

I like the move from a roster perspective, most seasons 1 or 2 guys from every O line are lost for significant time. Yates had a good camp, so hats off to him. We are lucky to have such depth (plus we have Mruc hiding in the weeds in case of an emergency).

9 Offensive lineman, good balance of positions
- 4 tackles - Light, O'Callahan, Britt, Kaczur (I am getting a little worried about how much we will actually see Kaczur this season, O'Callahan is playing great so his presence is not missed)
- 3 guards - Neal, Mankins, Yates
- 1 guard / center - Hoch
- 1 center - Koppen

Looking at the 53 man roster, we are solid if not good across the board. It is a great spot to be in when emergency depth is the only concern...
LBs - There are some concerns at LB depth behind the starters. If someone went down and there was a real emergency I think they would go with one of the guys they worked out earlier in August; Chris Clairborne, Orlando Ruff( http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/08/lb_workouts.html )
CB - Still a little thin, not convinced I want to see Spann as our nickel back. I could see a move to bring in one of the guys they worked out early (Shulters, Carpenter)

The roster is looking good, one could ask for a little more top end talent at WR or some youth at LB but from 1-53 another solid job constructing this team.

Lets kick Buffalo's butt, dominant the Vikings, destoy the Colts, embarass the Bears, get home field and win another super bowl.

Last edited:
cstjohn17 said:
LBs - There are some concerns at LB depth behind the starters. If someone went down and there was a real emergency I think they would go with one of the guys they worked out earlier in August; Chris Clairborne, Orlando Ruff( http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/08/lb_workouts.html )

After Chad Brown and Beisel - both of whom had been able players at the position with other clubs -
failed to master LB with the Patriots ...
i think it will be quite some time before BB places any reliance on an LB vet from elsewhere.

The roster is looking good, one could ask for a little more top end talent at WR or some youth at LB but from 1-53 another solid job constructing this team.

Lets kick Buffalo's butt, dominant the Vikings, destoy the Colts, embarass the Bears, get home field and win another super bowl.

Oh, yeah man! !

Spann is on the 53 to play special teams, presumably while Andrews is still not 100%.

Our secondary is
Hobbs, Samuel, Scott
Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders

If there is an injury at corner, one of the safeties will play nickel. Sanders did for most of last year.

There is no way that bb brings in a jag veteran linebacker in midseason. They are just nowhere near as valuable as using Banta-Cain or Alexander or even Woods.

cstjohn17 said:
I like the move from a roster perspective, most seasons 1 or 2 guys from every O line are lost for significant time. Yates had a good camp, so hats off to him. We are lucky to have such depth (plus we have Mruc hiding in the weeds in case of an emergency).

9 Offensive lineman, good balance of positions
- 4 tackles - Light, O'Callahan, Britt, Kaczur (I am getting a little worried about how much we will actually see Kaczur this season, O'Callahan is playing great so his presence is not missed)
- 3 guards - Neal, Mankins, Yates
- 1 guard / center - Hoch
- 1 center - Koppen

Looking at the 53 man roster, we are solid if not good across the board. It is a great spot to be in when emergency depth is the only concern...
CB - Still a little thin, not convinced I want to see Spann as our nickel back. I could see a move to bring in one of the guys they worked out early (Shulters, Carpenter)

mgteich said:
Spann is on the 53 to play special teams, presumably while Andrews is still not 100%.

Our secondary is
Hobbs, Samuel, Scott
Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders

If there is an injury at corner, one of the safeties will play nickel. Sanders did for most of last year.

There is no way that bb brings in a jag veteran linebacker in midseason. They are just nowhere near as valuable as using Banta-Cain or Alexander or even Woods.

CB - Hawkins & Wilson give some flexibility, they can play corner in a pinch. If there is an injury to Hobbs or Samuels the CBs fall way down. Last year shouldn't be used as a shining example the Patriots finished 31st in the league in pass defense. It started to come together at the end when Hawkins played safety and with Harrison back they should be better. My point about Spann is a worst case situation, say Wilson and Hobbs don't play tomorrow, is Hawkins the 3rd CB and are the starting Safeties Harrison and Sanders? I would feel better if there was a better option than Spann at CB so Hawkins can stay at Safety but that is the way the cookie crumbles, if Gay could actually stay healthy they would have been in a better spot.

LB - Premise was based on a starting ILB going on IR, there would be a need to add a LB to the mix. There must have been some reason they worked these guys out. Vrabel could shift inside but there would still be an open spot to fill. Maybe it would go to Mays, maybe they look outside.

Who knows, and who cares about the 53rd spot on the roster? Why I am writing this post? my brain is fried, time for sleep.

Go Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft