PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill i know you're not reading this, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to sound arrogant but that SB would have almost a cakewalk with a receiver in our offense that could go deep and get it. Brady had to be damn near perfect (and he was) for us to win. That is my gripe, is that we are asking a guy who deserves the best treatment to do too much, too often.

Yeah. It's pretty crazy that BB builds his team around its strengths.

As much as it would be nice, it really wouldn't matter with this o-line. Almost every deep pass Brady has thrown this year has come with the price of a huge hit.

The o-line is unfortunately still a very big problem. Brady has been hit an alarming amount of times these past 3 (maybe 4?) weeks. Double digits per game.

Sorry but this thread is definitely an overreaction. Brady would've won tonight's game with this "JAG" offense if it weren't for some terrible special teams once again.

Last edited:
That is another HUGE need but it's not more important than getting the main man in NE a type of player he hasn't had in YEARS

Yea Corey Dillon....

Christian McCaffrey come on down!

I know one thing Lafell is gassed at the end of those routes. Same with last week when Chandler was running those flys. These are not plays designed to these guys strengths just wasted downs. Running game would be nice Slater is even more important than I thought.

Remember we lost our true #1 RB to an ACL injury and our #1 FB to a broken leg.

This is nothing against Lewis, but hes really not our #1. You know what i mean ? Great player, and hes obv missed, but we need a guy that can bail the passing game out when the defense is taking it away. Blount is not it. Lewis is an amazing weapon, but hes not that either, plus he cant stay healthy.

We have it because cinci plays Denver so one has a loss, a tie would be even better

That's the 1st seed if we win out. In the worst case scenario, where the Jets win out and the Pats lose out, we lose the division. I think we need the Steelers to lose tonight to clinch. (theyre playing the Colts)

This is nothing against Lewis, but hes really not our #1. You know what i mean ? Great player, and hes obv missed, but we need a guy that can bail the passing game out when the defense is taking it away. Blount is not it. Lewis is an amazing weapon, but hes not that either, plus he cant stay healthy.
I would like to see them draft a back in the second or third round this year. If James Connor comes out he could fall cause of the knee injury and he would be a nice add.

All those receivers have had to suffer on horrificly bad teams with some garbage QB's throughout their careers. We're talking about coming to New England to play for the Patriots and have Brady throw you the ball. It's a whole different ball game if you look at it like that.

But is it?

These WRs require large investments and the return on that investment doesn't really seem as significant as other positions.

The big-name guys all averaged $10-$16M a year, sometimes hitting $20M+ in salary cap charges. They required 1st round picks that could have been spent in other areas and with better returns for the team.

And what about the draft costs of a 1st rounder on a WR? Yes, draft picks are free in a way, and spending them on one position means another area gets ignored. Does getting a big WR matter if you don't have a QB or if your OL sucks?

The Seahawks haven't spent a 1st on a WR since Koren Robinson back in 2001. The Packers haven't since 2002 and Javon Walker. The Patriots haven't since Terry Glenn in 1996. The Steelers haven't since Santonio Holmes in 2006. The top teams over the past decade haven't often invested much in the position, in draft capital or salary cap room.

The major exception would be the Giants, who have spent a 1st last year on Beckham Jr. and a 1st on Nicks in 2009. Yes, they won a Super Bowl, but they also have only made the play-offs once during that period. Unfortunately for us. Nicks had a good play-off run that year, but he's hardly anywhere close to that prototypical #1 WR.

Yes, it would be nice to have a 6'5 future HOFer WR. I just don't know that I want to spend a 1st or tens of millions of dollars to make it happen.

He's not draft eligible.

Im personally fine with our receivers...

Id like to see a serious upgrade at RB.

This x100000000000... We need a serious RB to take some heat off Brady and actually have the opponent respect the run.

CAN YOU PLEASE, PLEASE just go out there and get a big, fast receiver that can stretch the field and knows how to catch the ball? I mean how many more years do we have to watch scrubs like Martin, Harper etc. pretend to be deep play guys? I don't care whether you have to draft them or bring them in through FA but next season i don't want to see Dolphins practice squad players being our main threat deep down field.

Oh and also if you are going to waste high draft picks on the o-line every single year, do you think it would be possible that they actually do their main job and PROTECT Brady? I'm not sure he ever completes a pass without getting absolutely destroyed. I know the perception is that he's a superhero but go out there and take those hits yourself if you think he can take it over and over.
ST lost the game. Brady's INT sure didn't help either

The two best receivers are out
he said "this current receiving corps" Not what is supposed to be out there, what was out there on the field today.

Dude just stop. We can't even get these guys blocked up front. Don't be that guy.

To be completely honest there were times that they had a lot of time to hit an elite WR down field.

CAN YOU PLEASE, PLEASE just go out there and get a big, fast receiver that can stretch the field and knows how to catch the ball? I mean how many more years do we have to watch scrubs like Martin, Harper etc. pretend to be deep play guys? I don't care whether you have to draft them or bring them in through FA but next season i don't want to see Dolphins practice squad players being our main threat deep down field.

Oh and also if you are going to waste high draft picks on the o-line every single year, do you think it would be possible that they actually do their main job and PROTECT Brady? I'm not sure he ever completes a pass without getting absolutely destroyed. I know the perception is that he's a superhero but go out there and take those hits yourself if you think he can take it over and over.

2590-298653.jpg

But is it?

These WRs require large investments and the return on that investment doesn't really seem as significant as other positions.

The big-name guys all averaged $10-$16M a year, sometimes hitting $20M+ in salary cap charges. They required 1st round picks that could have been spent in other areas and with better returns for the team.

And what about the draft costs of a 1st rounder on a WR? Yes, draft picks are free in a way, and spending them on one position means another area gets ignored. Does getting a big WR matter if you don't have a QB or if your OL sucks?

The Seahawks haven't spent a 1st on a WR since Koren Robinson back in 2001. The Packers haven't since 2002 and Javon Walker. The Patriots haven't since Terry Glenn in 1996. The Steelers haven't since Santonio Holmes in 2006. The top teams over the past decade haven't often invested much in the position, in draft capital or salary cap room.

The major exception would be the Giants, who have spent a 1st last year on Beckham Jr. and a 1st on Nicks in 2009. Yes, they won a Super Bowl, but they also have only made the play-offs once during that period. Unfortunately for us. Nicks had a good play-off run that year, but he's hardly anywhere close to that prototypical #1 WR.

Yes, it would be nice to have a 6'5 future HOFer WR. I just don't know that I want to spend a 1st or tens of millions of dollars to make it happen.
marshall would have been nice...he's ripping it up with fitz throwing the ball

marshall would have been nice...he's ripping it up with fitz throwing the ball
How are you paying for Marshall's $9M salary with less than $2M in cap room?

Garopollo to QB and Brady split out wide.

tom is not a deep ball thrower

Completely disagree. If you get tom a deep threat who can get open and has height speed and length, he will find him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST