PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Has Only Himself To Blame For This Mess On Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Horrible FS play

put Leigh Bodden at Free Safety
Some lateral thinking and application is definitely needed at the Safety position. I'm lead to believe Dowling played some Safety in high school.

Brown is 6'2 210, Dowling is 6'1 198 & Bodden is 6'1 193. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that one of the corners could be put into Safety for a trial.

Its comments by Sellers that reminds me of the episode on Cheers when Sam Malone did the Sports. "If you're not going to root, root, root for the whole team..." It's pathetic. People invest their time they can be critical of anything they want. Sports, politics, etc.

Sellers you made the comment after a win, you're the same person who is SHOCKED when after 14-2 they get bumped in the first round. It's because they were not a complete team.

And shame on you for the whoever made the mini-Felger comment. Why because he is actually in the media and criticizes the team as opposed to DeOssie who is at the effing Belichick family cookout at the stadium, come on.

Its funny with the Red Sox ownership, everyone is on point that they don't like to be humored or lied to. But if it comes out of Belichicks lips its 100 percent gospel. That's why Ordway just had his salary cut, people are sick of the media being lackeys, literally. I won't and if you're wearing a Patriot shirt right now, sorry, I am hear to blog the truth.

You must be a joy to be around at a party or to work with.

You made the comment that implied that the entire forum was a bunch of blind homers. I'm willing to guess that if you take the time to add up the positive and negative comments, your hypothesis will be way off base.

I have absolutely no problem with criticism of this or any other team. I do, however find it odd that so many fans are so down and negative of a team that they root for after a win. From my perspective that tells me that there is a good chance that a vocal minority is spoiled, has unrealistic expectations, or simply prefer to be negative and miserable.

As for the analogy to the Red Sox, I do believe that is rather telling. Sox fans have made a lifetime of being miserable and negative, expecting the worst and agonizing over anything and everything related to the team. I don't know for a fact, but I think that all this negativity over the Pats is directly related to Sox fans suddenly spending a lot of time here now that the Sox folded, and they bring that same Yawkey Way attitude here.

For the record I was not the least bit shocked that the Pats lost in the playoffs last year. I was cautiously optimistic at that time and bummed that the team did not win. Given a bit of time to reflect I have to say that the Pats overachieved, and was happy to see far more wins than I expected to witness in 2010. But thanks for putting words that I never said into my mouth; they tasted good.

News flash: Ordway, EEI and the Sox have nothing to do with the Pats.

We're the worst first place team in the league. Whatever shall we do.

Some one need to explain how no one has noticed the terrible FS play.

Even in the last drive how the heck does kyle and WR where tangled and the FS is behind them ???? .Am the only one that seen the total rubbish FS play. the guy cannot tackle and does have no feel.

In the chargers game one can see where the ball is going but the FS has no feel. as a fan i can see where he was going but seems the FS is running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

I see outside receiver get beat yet the FS never arrives to provide support , not even once. FS job at the back is if a WR is beat is come down to help . I am yet to see the FS come down.

today ravens are attacking the jets safety , if we ever run into a team where the Safety is asked to do anything we are totally done.

FS is showing no improvement. NON...he is as bad as he was in week1.

The FS should never be behind the play.

But whose fault is it, specifically? This is Brown's first year, and also Josh Barrett's first full year back. In order to be a good safety, you have to have a great feel for how the play is going to unfold. A great safety is a quarterback trapped in a DB's body.

It's always the question- do you let a player grow out of his error, or do you cut him down and draft or sign another safety who you hope will have more potential?

But whose fault is it, specifically? This is Brown's first year, and also Josh Barrett's first full year back. In order to be a good safety, you have to have a great feel for how the play is going to unfold. A great safety is a quarterback trapped in a DB's body.

It's always the question- do you let a player grow out of his error, or do you cut him down and draft or sign another safety who you hope will have more potential?

IN hail mary situation you keep your FS in the back as he is the faster of the 2 safeties and his Job is to keep every thing in front of him. When jason campbell threw the pass fro his endzone a FS should never be behind the WR.

I also believe if our Safety is half decent our pass defense will be greatly improved. A little help for our CB and LB we will be so much better.

I agress the instincts to play safety are not size related but more like the ability to read what is going on with the entire offense and respond to it. We see CB covert to Safety later in there career when they have played enough to read the game and offense. a reason i will leave Ras-I alone [high school safety jeez].

we need to improve this, chung is a bigger SS so you need a FS who is decent in coverage and can run.

Last edited:
We're the worst first place team in the league. Whatever shall we do.

The Bills are in first place, the first tiebreaker is head to head......

If anyone thinks that the pathetic pass rush of the Pats is gonig to do anything to Dirty Sanchez remotely close to the mugging that the Ravens gave him last night, you are dreaming...mangold will be back, and even if he is not, the Pats hhave shown tow things consistently over the first four weeks: they can't cover (anyone) and they can't rush the passer!

I thought that they did a pretty good job on the Raider's run game. I thought that Spikes picked up his play. I deeply concerned about Guyton having to replace Mayo. I would love to know what happened to that defense that showed up in the first two pre-season games. Who were those guys?

I'm now absolutely convinced that BB made two terrible mistakes by cutting Merriweather and Sanders, both are leap years better than Brown and I have no idea why Barrett is still starting (although he did play well on special teams yesterday, I'll give him that). But he is god awful in the secondary. Is there any Safties floating around out there? Hell lets sign Rodney. I can only hope that BB pulls some rabbit out of his hat and finds someone as dumb as Childress to steal some talent from....

the bills are in first place, the first tiebreaker is head to head......

If anyone thinks that the pathetic pass rush of the pats is gonig to do anything to dirty sanchez remotely close to the mugging that the ravens gave him last night, you are dreaming...mangold will be back, and even if he is not, the pats hhave shown tow things consistently over the first four weeks: They can't cover (anyone) and they can't rush the passer!

I thought that they did a pretty good job on the raider's run game. I thought that spikes picked up his play. I deeply concerned about guyton having to replace mayo. I would love to know what happened to that defense that showed up in the first two pre-season games. Who were those guys?

I'm now absolutely convinced that bb made two terrible mistakes by cutting merriweather and sanders, both are leap years better than brown and i have no idea why barrett is still starting (although he did play well on special teams yesterday, i'll give him that). But he is god awful in the secondary. Is there any safties floating around out there? Hell lets sign rodney. I can only hope that bb pulls some rabbit out of his hat and finds someone as dumb as childress to steal some talent from....
+1..........

But whose fault is it, specifically? This is Brown's first year, and also Josh Barrett's first full year back.
Do you see the irony in that question considering the thread title? I think maybe we have this situation because BB cut the safties without having decent replacements. I think that was one of the premise's of the article.

Last edited:
Bring back Lawyer Milloy!

I'm now absolutely convinced that BB made two terrible mistakes by cutting Merriweather and Sanders, both are leap years better than Brown and I have no idea why Barrett is still starting (although he did play well on special teams yesterday, I'll give him that). But he is god awful in the secondary. Is there any Safties floating around out there? Hell lets sign Rodney. I can only hope that BB pulls some rabbit out of his hat and finds someone as dumb as Childress to steal some talent from....

Some of the defensive formations look strange, particularly when the play unfolds. On some plays, I was thinking "what the hell are they doing?" Last year, you could figure out the assignments and schemes more easily once the play began to develop. It was also obvious the defense was thinking more than reacting, a recipe for disaster. This has been true for all four games, so I'm not entirely sure it's the ability of the personnel that's the problem. It might be that many of the players are not used to the schemes or are having trouble incorporating the week to week changes.

They were in quarters a lot yesterday and I don't recall more than two or three blitz packages, one of which was a telegraphed double 3 gap blitz that looked so awful I don't think either player knew what to do.

Meriweather and Sanders were cut because the other players have enough talent that they are projected by BB to be better players by the end of the season. We'll see. But Meriweather and Sanders weren't the answer either; most people were disappointed by their performance last year. Meriweather is playing on a defense that gave up 549 yards yesterday and Sanders is not playing much at all.

I gotta blame Reggie Bush, as it is quite the rage to blame Bush these days. :)

I agree about BB letting Merriweather go.Its looking like a big mistake now.Cant have enough safety depth.Granted he stunk most of the time but its better then what they have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back