PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest area of weakness as of today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the best slot guy ever not qualify as haivng a slot guy?

I think he was being sarcastic...

Now answering the question on the topic, Safeties are my biggest concern right now. I'm not the biggest Pat Chung fan on the board, but besides him I don't feel comfortable with any other player on the roster right now. Maybe Wilson is ready to contribute from day one, but we can't count on it, and well, IMO Gregory shouldn't be more than a rotational player.

DL, it's obvious its dependance of Wilfork, but he's one of the best linemen in the NFL and taking a DT with the 48th instead of Wilson wouldn't fill the hole. Plus, how many games he's missed? It's not like he's an injury prone.

And RB, if a very similar offense 5 seasons ago could post the best offensive stats in the game with Laurence Maroney as their workhorse... we can do just fine with what we've got. Plus, I wouldn't rule out bringing a veteran RB yet.

Safety until proven otherwise. The safety play was god awful last year.

Until the rook proves otherwise, it's still at the safety position. Then it's RB and CB.

Why does a DL need to be elite in order to be a good pick at #48?

He doesn't. Andy was refuting State's claim that there were premier defensive linemen at 48.

Last edited:
It may not be viewed as a weakness, but my biggest concern is LT. The franchise starts there.

Safety/O line depth. Solder was a HUGE luxury last year.

We could use more size in the water boy

terrell+brown.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a reservation for New Orleans yet. Other than that things look OK.

He doesn't. Andy was refuting State's claim that there were premier defensive linemen at 48.

You sure about that? I'd have taken Ta'amu at 48, I think Brandon Thompson and Josh Chapman would have also been good picks later on.

"Originally Posted by State
Defensive line. Aside from Vince, we have nice role players, veteran players, and unsung players like Kyle Love.

But if Vince goes down, we'll rue the day we passed on the premier Dlinemen available at 48. What did Vince play, 86% of the defensive plays? Too much.

I hope Ron Brace finally steps up, but I tend to doubt it.

Those are the two most essential players on this team, Brady and Wolfork. Both irreplaceable.
"

Stopping the pass rush (you know, when it really counts --> postseason)

That's like saying if Brady goes down they will rue the day they didn't pick *insert QB prospect of choice*

Taking a safety who could start day one at 48 is better than picking a backup DL there.

Not to mention I'd say the defensive line is one of the strengths of the team this year.

Are you suggesting that Tavon is a Day 1 starter at safety? I am doubtful. Even Chung wasn't a Day 1 starter at safety and he was a very early pick in the second round.

I'd say that secondary is the big questionmark for the Pats.
Who will step up opposite Chung. Can our CBs bounce back strong - McCourty regressed last year, Arrington made lots of picks but also got burned bad at times, and Dowling can't stay healthy. When when of the DBs you are counting on is a QB conversion from Kent State, Hello Edelman and some street free agents are suiting up for the Super Bowl. Well there's a lotta question marks!

Pats linebackers have gotten younger, faster, more athletic. Pats DL anchored by Wilfork with acceptable guys like Deadrik, Love, Warren, and Fanene playing support roles.

Pats offense is just going to be terrifying to the entire league in 2012. What's there not to like? Just hope the Pats young defense can gel and really put it together for a serious playoff run. We can't get our 4th Lombardi without a true championship D who can step it up in the final 3 minutes of the 4th quarter and protect the lead.

Are you suggesting that Tavon is a Day 1 starter at safety? I am doubtful. Even Chung wasn't a Day 1 starter at safety and he was a very early pick in the second round.

I'd say that secondary is the big questionmark for the Pats.
Who will step up opposite Chung. Can our CBs bounce back strong - McCourty regressed last year, Arrington made lots of picks but also got burned bad at times, and Dowling can't stay healthy. When when of the DBs you are counting on is a QB conversion from Kent State, Hello Edelman and some street free agents are suiting up for the Super Bowl. Well there's a lotta question marks!

Pats linebackers have gotten younger, faster, more athletic. Pats DL anchored by Wilfork with acceptable guys like Deadrik, Love, Warren, and Fanene playing support roles.

Pats offense is just going to be terrifying to the entire league in 2012. What's there not to like? Just hope the Pats young defense can gel and really put it together for a serious playoff run. We can't get our 4th Lombardi without a true championship D who can step it up in the final 3 minutes of the 4th quarter and protect the lead.

I agree that safety is our biggest area of need, but that's exactly why it wouldn't surprise me if Tavon was a day one starter. All he has to beat out is Gregory.

You sure about that? I'd have taken Ta'amu at 48, I think Brandon Thompson and Josh Chapman would have also been good picks later on.

"Originally Posted by State
Defensive line. Aside from Vince, we have nice role players, veteran players, and unsung players like Kyle Love.

But if Vince goes down, we'll rue the day we passed on the premier Dlinemen available at 48. What did Vince play, 86% of the defensive plays? Too much.

I hope Ron Brace finally steps up, but I tend to doubt it.

Those are the two most essential players on this team, Brady and Wolfork. Both irreplaceable.
"

At 48, Reyes was probably the best fit among the available DL. Safety a more urgent need, though, so I have no problem with the pick that was made, provided that Belichick thinks that Tavon is at least as good as Reyes.

Another weakness: experience on D

Wilson, Hightower, Jones, Dowling all figure to play significant roles. Dennard could be another rookie seeing action. McCourty, Spikes, Love, Chung, Arrington and Deaderick are all young contributors. Gregory has never played in our system.

When our D was good we had a lot of veterans on D. We've had to sift out many busts as we've rebuilt but I believe we're close to done. High hopes for this draft class.

1. Starting safety/DB -- Chung, Arrington, and McCourty are in some sense proven. After that we have Dowling and Moore, who have shown encouraging flashes. After that we have a whole lot of question marks, including a 2nd-round pick who didn't excel enough in college to make us confident in his rookie pro performance and a 7th-round pick with anger management issues. And only one of the guys who have proven anything is a natural safety.

2. OLB -- Lots of encouraging possibilities, but Ninkovich is the only one who's proven.

Honorable mention: OT -- Solder was impressively passable at RT his rookie season. That doesn't prove he's ready to start at LT. Vollmer had back problems, which too often are chronic.

I have the strong feeling that come December most Pats fans are gonna love what they are seeing on Defense..... BB has a lotta new pieces to putting together a top caliber defensive team. I really think Dennard will end up being a key piece.

Hightower and Jones will obviously be also.....

A grade A KR would be a major plus also.....:cool:

Why does a DL need to be elite in order to be a good pick at #48?

Thats not what I said. State said he wanted to pick the premier DL that was there at 48.
The purpose of quoting a post is so you see what is being responded to. You should read the quoted passage for context.

You sure about that?

Yes. And again, you should read the quote that a post is responding to.
BradyFTW is exactly correct that this is what I was responding to.

The biggest area of weakness is not specifically a player, but the DB's as a whole..last year injuries forced some young'uns to step up, with some ok results. This year they have a year of maturity, some new dudes and hopefully are better able to communicate, and someone develops leadership qualities to help them play as a unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News