PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 QB/PTP Thread

I have to go to sleep but will check back on this tomorrow. I feel terrible for the kid. He's worked very hard on his mechanics and throwing motion the past few years. On his ability to throw with different speeds. He was a guy you might take a flyer on if Milton went early. 4.5 guy with some versatility. I feel awful bc of the injury

I haven't seen any detail on what the injury was other than the infamous "lower leg injury". Did he break the leg? Or was it an ACL/MCL/PCL? Or something else entirely.

Per another thread reflecting on Bledsoe's professionalism right off the bat even while losing, I've been watching press conferences of all the big names after they've lost to see how they'd handle themselves as the face of the franchise. That led me to watching Mahomes' presser after his big AFC loss to the Pats, which was excellent in so many ways, and that led me to his great interview with DPatrick pre draft. I noted this great line: "For me, it's not necessarily the team I'm getting picked by, or where I'm at by the draft. I just wanna get coached well." Even with his voice, the content is quality.

Here are some press conferences after some of the prospects' biggest losses. I'll withhold my impressions. Wish I could find a better one for Jayden (Alabama / Ole Miss).

Michael Penix Jr. reacts to 34-13 loss to Michigan

Tennessee QB Joe Milton III, RB Jaylen Wright: Georgia Postgame Press Conference

Postgame: (Clemson) Spencer Rattler News Conference 11/26/23

Last edited:
I would not be shocked to see Chicago pick Maye at 1 and surprise everyone.
I think Maye is the dream pick for the Pats but they won't get that shot.
Those 2 wins against Pittsburgh and Denver may have cost the Pats a franchise qb.
Maye is not getting past 2.

As did the Commandos' blowing their comeback at the Jete, when Rivera & SleepingWithBieniemy forgot what made their comeback possible in the first place...

I haven't seen any detail on what the injury was other than the infamous "lower leg injury". Did he break the leg? Or was it an ACL/MCL/PCL? Or something else entirely.
Ended up being an ankle. Heard 6 months for recovery. Timing is just brutal though.

Ended up being an ankle. Heard 6 months for recovery. Timing is just brutal though.
Yeah.. it is.. That sucks..

If the pats go with MHJ and then an OT in the late 1st or early 2nd, which QB do you think will be on the radar at that time for them?

Rattler or Bradley (Gus Bradley's kid), possibly Pratt.
I know this is not X's and O's - it's deep into intangibles territory (which may not really matter), but I was very impressed by Rattler's press conference after the Clemson loss (which I linked above). Bo Nix as well (after the loss to Penix the 2nd time). It's amazing what a couple of years can do for maturity. Imho, they seemed like guys that players would love to rally behind. The YT comments were surprisingly very positive for both of them, especially after SC's 5-7 record.

JJM leaving his teammates in the postgame presser after the loss to TCU was half disappointing, but he was 19, so I'll cut him some slack since he was probably just trying to make a statement. Drake was fine after NC State but some interesting body language. Jayden was fine (and calm and respectful while his coach was speaking) but that was the only the 1st game of the season after FSU. Penix was good after UM. Milton seemed distracted and aloof with no urgency after the Georgia loss. Caleb hiding behind the presser table with one of his guys urging him to stand up and face the music... Wow.

Rattler or Bradley (Gus Bradley's kid), possibly Pratt.

Going by the Accuracy Chart for Rattler and Pratt (since Bradley isn't on it), can you give some insight on the drop-off both had from 16-20 vs 21-30? Was that just normal drop-off? Was it receiver related? With the accuracy, I'm guess that both have the arm strength to make the Sideline throws.. So I was curious about the deeper stuff..

Even though I said we should draft MHJr, I think JDan's my pick for QB because that work ethic just sticks out. I'd take my pick with a grain of salt because I wanted Trey Lance a couple of years ago.

Teammates are enamored with Daniels work ethic and attention to detail. Because he routinely shows up at LSU’s Football Operations Center to watch film at 5:30 a.m. and later leave after 8 p.m., second-year football coach Brian Kelly said the staff had to adopt new policies and procedures involving player usage of the facility.

“We used to cut off players at a certain time,” Kelly said. “We gave them unlimited access to the building. He (Daniels) just lives in this building.”

"[BB] was going to do everything in his power to try to get [JDaniels].”

Maybe that explains the tanktastic decision making going on throughout the season...

@BaconGrundleCandy - You posted that accuracy chart. I have to ask.

What caused Maye's numbers to be so poor compared to everyone else? Was it him? Was it the quality of the receivers? a combination?

@BaconGrundleCandy - You posted that accuracy chart. I have to ask.

What caused Maye's numbers to be so poor compared to everyone else? Was it him? Was it the quality of the receivers? a combination?

Merril Hoge and Louis Riddick have both stated the Maye's accuracy is poor. You can Google it. I only pass on the comments I have not looked at tape.

Merril Hoge and Louis Riddick have both stated the Maye's accuracy is poor. You can Google it. I only pass on the comments I have not looked at tape.
I posted something loosely related to this a while back - Top prospects' stats versus Top 25 teams over their last 2 years (as of 12/29):

Caleb Williams
2-7 68.5% 330yds 2.3TD 0.7INT

Drake Maye
1-3 56% 250yds 2.3TD 1INT

Jayden Daniels
3-5 68.8% 272yds 2TD 0.4INT

Bo Nix
6-5 71.7% 258yds 2.2TD 0.5INT
(Updated: 7-5 71.7% 284yds 2.4TD 0.4INT)

JJ McCarthy
5-1 67.1% 184yds 1TD 0.5INT
(Updated: 6-1 65.5% 178yds 0.9TD 0.4INT)

Michael Penix Jr
9-0 61.6% 307yds 2.2TD 0.7INT
(Updated 9-1 60.7% 302yds 2.1TD 0.8INT)

EDIT:
Joe Milton
1-3 66.7% 234yds 1.5TD 0.25INT

Spencer Rattler
3-8 63.6% 257yds 1.2TD 1.1INT

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For reference for the most recent for sure HoFer:

Patrick Mahomes
0-8 61.3% 411yds 2.9TD 1.4INT

(Good Gravy he had 88 attempts for 734yds in one game)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
JJ with a 6.82 3cone is eye popping, though too bad no 40 (smart - hamstring tightness). 4.23 2Shut is good. Mahomes was 4.8/6.88/4.08.

Spencer Rattler’s March 12 pro day at South Carolina. Patriots better be there in force. Eliot and the kids.

Kid is undersized but is accurate and has a strong arm. Smart, too. Can make progression reads. A true leader and warrior who, unlike the Michigan kid, played behind an OL that was in shambles last season. He has a chip on his shoulder and will likely have a pro career people were expecting in college.
“My hot take is that Spencer Rattler is better than Bo Nix and Penix. And I know other people who feel the same way,” a long-time NFL executive told Breer.
SOURCE

I understand that it's poor. But I was trying to understand the WHY of it being poor..

I heard Felger & Mazz talking today about some mock that had JJ McCarthy to us at #3 “what a nightmare”.

I think McCarthy has a very good chance to be a bust, because he is more of an athlete than a football player

He is not accurate & he has no touch in my eyes

He can run fast in a straight line, Oh boy !

I heard Felger & Mazz talking today about some mock that had JJ McCarthy to us at #3 “what a nightmare”.

I think McCarthy has a very good chance to be a bust, because he is more of an athlete than a football player

He is not accurate & he has no touch in my eyes

He can run fast in a straight line, Oh boy !

I don't want JJ McCarthy at 3, I agree with you there. But the rest of what you've said is absolute nonsense.

Those 2 wins against Pittsburgh and Denver may have cost the Pats a franchise qb.
No thanks Zapper why is he still on this Team?? Zappe is like that X who won't go away. :mad:

I am hearing the same about Daniels.

I don't want JJ McCarthy at 3, I agree with you there. But the rest of what you've said is absolute nonsense.
Plenty of QB busts through the year
There is no right or wrong answer until we get the results

That’s just my opinion
I will gladly admit if I am wrong

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk