PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best guess at our Comp picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a quick glance it looks like the following teams have no chance of getting awarded comp picks:

Washington
Tennessee
St. Louis
Seattle
Philly
NY Jets
Miami
Houston
Detriot
Denver
Dallas
Cleveland
Chicago
Buffalo

Now the teams at the top of the draft board might get some of the extra comp picks to round out the number to 32. But it looks like over half the league signed more and better FAs than they lost.

New Orleans lost more than just a JAG. They lost LeCharles Bentley and Darren Howard. That's a little more than "just a jag"

My apologies. I deleted part of what I had written. What I had meant to say was, if NO's offseason boils down to . . .

There are as many as 32 comp picks given out in a given year. One of the things the GBN site doesn't do is take into consideration the lower end UFAs like Michael Stone who won't figure in to the equation because their salary cap hit wasn't high enough. Players on either side of the equation whose contracts fall below that threshold don't count n the equation. Last year the threshold was 685K. Lets use Sam Bam's guesstimate of 712K. That rules out quite a few players.

Also, there are teams who have gotten draft picks because the net sal cap loss was greater than the net sal cap gain, even though the players off-set. Buffalo was like that last year.

What really stinks is that INDY stands to get a 3rd round comp pick for James and probably a 4th for Thornton and a 5th for Tripplett.

What really stinks is that INDY stands to get a 3rd round comp pick for James and probably a 4th for Thornton and a 5th for Tripplett.

Yup, that doesn't help the cause. Funny how Indy the pats and SD are in line to get multiple comp picks even though they finished at the top of the league. More proof that being on a winning team definately helps the individual player up their worth.

Yup, that doesn't help the cause. Funny how Indy the pats and SD are in line to get multiple comp picks even though they finished at the top of the league. More proof that being on a winning team definately helps the individual player up their worth.

Three picks in the first two rounds for the Pats v. one for the Colts makes me feel a lot better about that, though. :)

Looking @ the major free agent signings @/ or above David Givens' AAV:

A Archuletta STL $5.3M/yr
L Bentley NO $6M/yr
D Brees SD $10M/yr
N Burleson MIN $7M/yr
A Carter SF $6M/yr
S Hutchinson SEA $7M/yr
D Howard NO $5.08M/yr
E James IND $7.5M/yr
J Peterson SF $7.71M/yr
A Randal-El PIT $5.5M/yr
D Thornton IND $4.6M/yr
B Williams MIN $6.33M/yr

Did I forget anyone?

Burleson was signed as a RFA so no comp this year (Minn already got a 3rd last year)

Hutchinson was signed off of transition tag... not sure if that receives a compensation or not

Hutchinson was signed off of transition tag... not sure if that receives a compensation or not

NOT! The Seahawks get NOTHING, ouch, so with them signing Peterson, no way they get any comp picks. Good thing they got Deion to put them over the top!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case