PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best DEs/Pass rushers in 2014 class

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So everyone here agrees we need someone to help Jones/Nink on the outside or even replace Nink as the other starting DE.

Most people here agree Ealy/Ford are both good options in the first but I would like to talk about other players that might be worth targeting.

Some of my other favorites after round 1

Kareem Martin 6'6 272 - ranked #56 per CBS. Fits the bill for prototype build and shows talent. The concern here appears to be effort. Interestingly he is compared to Justin Tuck who has that as his main red flag as well. I would not be opposed to picking him in the 2nd round.

Adrian Hubbard 6'6 257 ranked 130th per CBS. Listed as an OLB but I see him as more of a DE. His speed is really good for a player a hair under 260 and has the ability to put on weight. Strong for his size with a good bull rush as well. Is considered a "tweener" but I like to think of him as a DE with coverage skills as I think he is closer to that.

My top 5 is
1.Clowney
2. Mack
3. Ford
4. Attaochu
5. Chricton

After round one? Scott Crichton

Of all the positions on the field, pass-rushing DE/OLB is the one where I place the greatest weight on measurables. I really believe that's a job for athletic freaks.

Or maybe I should put it this way: it's a job where lacking freakish athleticism stacks the odds against a player like Ford or Crichton just enough to make them a poor risk with a high draft pick.

Of all the positions on the field, pass-rushing DE/OLB is the one where I place the greatest weight on measurables. I really believe that's a job for athletic freaks.

Or maybe I should put it this way: it's a job where lacking freakish athleticism stacks the odds against a player like Ford or Crichton just enough to make them a poor risk with a high draft pick.

Chandler Jones is no better athletically than Dee Ford. Jake Bequette is though :p

For me its Marcus Smith, Kareem Martin, and James Gayle.

I am a big fan of Kareem Martin; I think he will end up being the second best DE in this draft class. I also like Demarcus Ware who is an explosive player but more of a tweener.

Chandler Jones is no better athletically than Dee Ford. Jake Bequette is though :p

Sure, Chandler Jones is no better athletically than Dee Ford...if you don't count the weeeeee little fact that he's 6" 5 1/2" 266 with 35 1/2" arms! :)p back atcha!)

It's a matter of odds to me. No player is a sure bet for success (or failure), but when it comes to pass rushers measurables stack the deck enormously. Dee Ford is a very good football player. He may become a very good NFL pass rusher. But IMO he's a poor risk with a 1st-round draft pick.

Well the one's I really like for NE realistically are Ford, Murphy, Gardner, and Sutton but there are other talented ones like Clowney, Ealy, Jeffcoat, hart, and others. I really do think Brent Urban will be a MAJOR steal, if he works hard he can be a superstar in this league. His play at Virginia reminds me a whole lot of JJ Watt at Wisconsin. But once again, my favorites are Ford, Murphy, Gardner, and Sutton

Sure, Chandler Jones is no better athletically than Dee Ford...if you don't count the weeeeee little fact that he's 6" 5 1/2" 266 with 35 1/2" arms! :)p back atcha!)

It's a matter of odds to me. No player is a sure bet for success (or failure), but when it comes to pass rushers measurables stack the deck enormously. Dee Ford is a very good football player. He may become a very good NFL pass rusher. But IMO he's a poor risk with a 1st-round draft pick.

Michael Buchanan is a better athlete than all three of them….:D

Michael Buchanan is a better athlete than all three of them….:D
It's shocking how close they are. Jones measured a little better as he had similar numbers with 10 extra pounds. Although a starter quality DE is my #1 need right now to rotate with Nink and Chandler it will be interesting how Buchanan returns for his second year. If he's put 10 good pounds on without losing athleticism he could possibly fill that need.

It's shocking how close they are.

Yep. And the fact that Jones & Buchanan could wear each others' clothes reinforces my skepticism that BB would draft 6'2" short-armed Dee Ford in round 1.

It's shocking how close they are. Jones measured a little better as he had similar numbers with 10 extra pounds. Although a starter quality DE is my #1 need right now to rotate with Nink and Chandler it will be interesting how Buchanan returns for his second year. If he's put 10 good pounds on without losing athleticism he could possibly fill that need.

Yep. And the fact that Jones & Buchanan could wear each others' clothes reinforces my skepticism that BB would draft 6'2" short-armed Dee Ford in round 1.

Reiss said earlier in the offseason they were training together in Providence doing a lot MMA training, I would assume that Jon Jones is leading that charge. If Buchanan can fill out his frame with another 10-15 lbs. the sky is the limit for him in my opinion. I expect him to breakout in big way this season even pushing Ninkovich for reps on early downs.

I cannot see us drafting Ford. With Buchanan and Collins both likely to see significant increases in their playing time I don't envision us drafting a DE until at least the third round. This draft is so deep a player like Demarcus Ware could be on the board at #93 and he could end up being a better pro than Ford in my opinion.

The title of this thread is "best DEs/Pass rushers," but maybe we should tease those apart a bit?

E.g. I think Trent Murphy is an excellent LDE prospect, a versatile, reliable Rob Ninkovich type. I don't want to undervalue that -- Ninkovich is a pretty irreplaceable piece as the roster stands today. But despite those classic Stanford measurables, Murphy just isn't an explosive pass rusher.

The title of this thread is "best DEs/Pass rushers," but maybe we should tease those apart a bit?

E.g. I think Trent Murphy is an excellent LDE prospect, a versatile, reliable Rob Ninkovich type. I don't want to undervalue that -- Ninkovich is a pretty irreplaceable piece as the roster stands today. But despite those classic Stanford measurables, Murphy just isn't an explosive pass rusher.

He 3-cone time was very impressive. That aside I think it is more likely we take an inside defensive lineman like Easley in the first couple rounds.

OK, so I'll throw him out there. I haven't seen anyone mention him at all in the draft section (besides myself).

Trent Murphy-OLB Stanford 6-5 250 Ranked #44 per CBS. Consensus All-American selection and first-team All-Pac-12. Led nation in sacks with 15, second in TFL @ 23.5. 62 tackles, 5 PD's, INT.

Arm- Hand- 1st40- 2nd- Off- Bench- Vert- Broad- 3-cone- Shuttle
33 7/8- 11 1/8- 4.75- 4.78- 4.86- 19- 35.5"- 9'10"- 6.78- 4.20

Numbers and measurements don't lie. You asked for pass rushers and this guy is among the cream of the crop. I don't think 29 would be to much of a stretch because he won't last until 62. If we were to trade down to get somewhere near his CBS # and score an extra pick or 2 I'd love it. 10 sacks in 2012 gives him a proven track record of getting to the QB. If we don't get him I think someone is going to score a gem that'll leave us saying "look at the sacks this guy piles up, why the hell didn't we draft him?"

Bring on the dissenters, but I think he'd be great now that the Vince is back. He's been a binky of mine for awhile. Check out post #779 in the mock thread.

Edit: Just saw that Patchick-Good Call!

Chandler Jones did pretty well in the Combine, top 10 numbers for his position. Actually it was Bruce Irvin who surprised at the Combine with a freakish 4.5 40.

I think everybody will agree that Mack and Clowney are 1 and 2 no matter what.

My two favorite edge Rushers as in first round talent for the Pats are Mack and Ford because I think we could really use a smaller speed to power guy to plug on the edge either next to Jones or Ninkovich on 3rd downs. Ford has violent hands and really drives his legs once those short arms are extended. Both have outstanding motors and are "game wreckers".

OK, so I'll throw him out there. I haven't seen anyone mention him at all in the draft section (besides myself).

Trent Murphy-OLB Stanford 6-5 250 Ranked #44 per CBS. Consensus All-American selection and first-team All-Pac-12. Led nation in sacks with 15, second in TFL @ 23.5. 62 tackles, 5 PD's, INT.

Arm- Hand- 1st40- 2nd- Off- Bench- Vert- Broad- 3-cone- Shuttle
33 7/8- 11 1/8- 4.75- 4.78- 4.86- 19- 35.5"- 9'10"- 6.78- 4.20

Numbers and measurements don't lie. You asked for pass rushers and this guy is among the cream of the crop. I don't think 29 would be to much of a stretch because he won't last until 62. If we were to trade down to get somewhere near his CBS # and score an extra pick or 2 I'd love it. 10 sacks in 2012 gives him a proven track record of getting to the QB. If we don't get him I think someone is going to score a gem that'll leave us saying "look at the sacks this guy piles up, why the hell didn't we draft him?"

Bring on the dissenters, but I think he'd be great now that the Vince is back. He's been a binky of mine for awhile. Check out post #779 in the mock thread.

Edit: Just saw that Patchick-Good Call!

Murphy was Mayo's guy early in the process, so he's been talked about at lenght.

And to me those numbers lie, he just doesn't play up to them on tape.

Murphy was Mayo's guy early in the process, so he's been talked about at lenght.

And to me those numbers lie, he just doesn't play up to them on tape.

I don't know how it will translate to the NFL but didn't Murphy lead the NCAA with 15 sacks? Production is an important measurable.

From Walter football:
WalterFootball.com: Position Review - Defensive Ends

1.Jadeveon Clowney
2.Scott Crichton
3.Kony Ealy
4.Stephon Tuitt
5.Kareem Martin
6.Dominique Easley
7.Ben Gardner
8.Ed Stinson

OLB
WalterFootball.com: Position Review - Outside Linebackers

1.Khalil Mack
2.Anthony Barr
3.Dee Ford
4.Marcus Smith
5.Jeremiah Attaochu
6.Kyle Van Noy
7.Demarcus Lawrence
8.Ryan Shazier

Murphy Notes
"3/22/14: Murphy has a well-rounded skill set as he is a good pass-rusher with quickness and strength. Murphy defends the run well and has good instincts. He also has the athletic ability to drop into pass coverage. Murphy looks like a great fit as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. He would be drafted higher if he was faster and had more explosion off the snap.

Murphy had a mixed performance at the Senior Bowl and wasn't good enough to help his first-round prospects. At the Combine, Murphy confirmed that he is a second-day pick and not a first-rounder.

In 2013, Murphy totaled 15 sacks, 24.5 tackles for a loss, 62 tackles, six passes batted, one forced fumble and an interception returned 30 yards for a touchdown. He led the nation in sacks."

Ok, that is enough copy and pasting without a mouse...

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back