Votes: 23 26.7%
  • Jills

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Phins

Votes: 10 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I say this with a grain of salt because I think each team has some glaring questions that will need to be answered in the season, but I'll go like this:

1. Jets: I hate the lack of depth, the defensive ends are nothing special and this is a team that could give up chunks of yardage on the ground and is one injury away from being in serious trouble. That said, Scott, Harris, Jenkins and Revis is a pretty special foursome.

2. Dolphins: Great depth all over the place, solid defensive line rotation with a great swingman in Randy Starks. Upgraded the pass rush tremendously with Taylor and Wake, Matt Roth is highly under-rated as a run stuffer. It all comes down to what we get out of the rookie corners and Gibril Wilson.

3. Patriots: Best defensive line in the division, but I don't like the back seven, at all. Bruschi is done, there's no legitmate threat to rush the passer from the backers and the cornerbacks have serious question marks and the enforcer at safety is now gone.

4. Bills: Defensive end is a joke, Aaron Schobel is over rated and Chris Kelsay doesn't do anything spectacularly. The linebackers are above average and the safeties are suspect, but the young corners are pretty impressive.

Like I said, each team has SERIOUS questions that won't be answered until November. Should be a great year because I think all of these teams have pretty good defenses.

Our DL and secondary are looking good - I guess it comes down to whether 1-3 of the following players steps up: Woods, Crable, TBC, Redd. If 1 or more of them play at a high level, then the defense should be the best D the Pats have fielded in several years.

That's my point as well, man. Every team has that same situation.

The Jets need to find someone to step up at outside backer as a pass rusher, especially in the wake of the Calvin Pace news.

The Patriots need to figure out who's going to play next to Mayo and on the outside opposite Adalius Thomas. And is Darius Butler going to beat out Shawn Springs? I think so. Patrick Chung over James Sanders? We'll see.

The Dolphins need to find the corner to play opposite Will Allen. Is it Sean Smith? Vontae Davis? Eric Green?

The Bills have more than any one else, IMO. Is Aaron Maybin going to win a starting gig? Who plays the free alongside Donte Whitner? Does Ko Simpson rekindle his rookie form?

3. Patriots: Best defensive line in the division, but I don't like the back seven, at all.
Not even Mayo?

Bruschi is done,
Hopefully Guton will start over him.

there's no legitmate threat to rush the passer from the backers
Adailus Thomas . . . ?

and the cornerbacks have serious question marks
Such as?

and the enforcer at safety is now gone.
But will be replaced by hopefully Pat Chung.

I say this with a grain of salt because I think each team has some glaring questions that will need to be answered in the season, but I'll go like this:

1. Jets: I hate the lack of depth, the defensive ends are nothing special and this is a team that could give up chunks of yardage on the ground and is one injury away from being in serious trouble. That said, Scott, Harris, Jenkins and Revis is a pretty special foursome.

2. Dolphins: Great depth all over the place, solid defensive line rotation with a great swingman in Randy Starks. Upgraded the pass rush tremendously with Taylor and Wake, Matt Roth is highly under-rated as a run stuffer. It all comes down to what we get out of the rookie corners and Gibril Wilson.

3. Patriots: Best defensive line in the division, but I don't like the back seven, at all. Bruschi is done, there's no legitmate threat to rush the passer from the backers and the cornerbacks have serious question marks and the enforcer at safety is now gone.

4. Bills: Defensive end is a joke, Aaron Schobel is over rated and Chris Kelsay doesn't do anything spectacularly. The linebackers are above average and the safeties are suspect, but the young corners are pretty impressive.

Like I said, each team has SERIOUS questions that won't be answered until November. Should be a great year because I think all of these teams have pretty good defenses.

I'll be the first to admit that we have a lot of unproven talent that needs to step up on D, and until it actually does step up, it's really pointless to try to argue the point. I am more optimistic for this year's defense than I have been in any since 2004, though. The pieces are there, now we just need a few of them to seize the opportunity that they've been given.

We already are the best defense in the AFCE.
We will be better than Balt, Pitts.....

Our offense will be the best that ever played in the history of the NFL this year.

Not even Mayo?

Great player. But no one else scares me from that unit.

glm said:
Hopefully Guton will start over him.

Is this a good thing?

glm said:
Adailus Thomas . . . ?

An above average player, nothing special.

glm said:

Well Leigh Bodden didn't just get cut from Detroit by accident. He was awful last year. Shawn Springs doesn't run like he once did and he tries to compensate for his lost step with physicality that draws a lot of flags. He's an average corner at this point in his career.

glm said:
But will be replaced by hopefully Pat Chung.

As much as I hate Rodney Harrison and how I think he was the dirtiest player ever, he was a great player. You can't just assume a 2nd round rookie will step in and do the same exact work.

As much as I hate Rodney Harrison and how I think he was the dirtiest player ever, he was a great player. You can't just assume a 2nd round rookie will step in and do the same exact work.

The last couple of years? I'll agree that he was a special player, but his tangible production of the last few years shouldn't be hart to replace. It's replacing the intangibles that I worry about.

lol @ the Pats in the lead. Pats homers out in full force I see. :)

On paper the Jets have the better defense.

I do think the Pats are going to have a solid D this year. I'm excited to see what their secondary can do.

Jets have zero depth.

Well let's break it down a bit further.

The Jets, Patriots and Dolphins are all using 3-3 defenses, so they should be easy to compare.

DE
NT
OLB
ILB
S
CB

and general backup depth:

Let's get a clear breakdown of what people are basing their thinking upon.

Last edited:
Is this a good thing?
For startes, he's younger and faster.

If you present your opnion as a fact, I expect evidence to back it up.

Well Leigh Bodden didn't just get cut from Detroit by accident. He was awful last year.
In a Cover 2 defense. But he was a Pro Bowler back in Romeo Crennel's defense in Cleveland.

Shawn Springs doesn't run like he once did and he tries to compensate for his lost step with physicality that draws a lot of flags. He's an average corner at this point in his career.
Again, evidence.

Considering Rodney hasn't even played a full season since 2004, and he was averaging around 31 tackles and not even 1 interception a season in the last 4 seasons, I think Pat Chung can at least duplicate those numbers.

Great player. But no one else scares me from that unit.
I'll agree that New England has a lot to prove this season and doesn't have a player that will "smack you in the mouth". Mayo is going to be a star in this league and showed flashes of some jarring hits last season. In fact, Patrick Willis and Mayo are not far from being one the best MLB's in the game. Not to go to far off topic, but I think Willis is already the best MLB in the game. The addition of Chung should help the secondary what it's been lacking since Rodney's good days, a hard hitting enforcer.

Is this a good thing?

Yes. Bruschi needs to call it quits, he is a liability in the passing game. While we don't know whether Guyton can play full time, he defenitely makes his present felt on the field. I see him running around on a lot of plays and his speed is much needed. At worst, I could see starting by '10.

He's seems like he's nothing special because he's always in coverage. If the Pats had LB's that can cover the TE, Thomas will really make his presence felt when he rushes the passer. In my opinion, he was one Eli Manning tackle away from having 3 sacks in the super bowl and my vote for the MVP. He was the forgotten man in the game because he was overshadowed by the amazing performance of the giants D-line annihilating Brady. If he was asked to only rush the passer, he'd have 10+ sacks easy.

Well Leigh Bodden didn't just get cut from Detroit by accident. He was awful last year. Shawn Springs doesn't run like he once did and he tries to compensate for his lost step with physicality that draws a lot of flags. He's an average corner at this point in his career.
Your right, Bodden was awful last year. Every time I saw the Lions highlights (that might be an oxymoron) on ESPN, I always saw Bodden chasing the opposing WR's. But the things I have heard about this guy is that he doesn't like playing in a heavy cover 2 defense. When he was with the Browns, he was asked to shadow the oppositions best receiver. He's more of a man to man player. As for Springs, someone from ESPN had mentioned that Springs has the least amount of yards attempted against him for the last couple of seasons. The two additions of Springs and Bodden tell me that the Pats may go to more of a man to man style defense featuring more jams at the line of scrimmage. If these guys pan out, it will greatly improve their pass rush.
Harrison's game started to decline after 2004. He also became a liability in the passing game for the past couple of years. The things I hear about Chung, I don't think it will take him long to unseat Sanders because of Chung's hitting ability.

Last edited:
Jets have zero depth.

The most overlooked aspect in football is depth and you're right, the Jets have NONE! I don't think they'll even breathe on the quarterback while Calvin Pace is out. I'm just pissed we play them the 5th game of the year where he makes his return.

Last edited:
For startes, he's younger and faster.

But is he smarter? This game isn't just about physical prowess. I just think that's a HUGE hole on the Patriots roster.

glm said:
If you present your opnion as a fact, I expect evidence to back it up.

Well he was just an above average player in his first 20+ games with the Patriots prior to the injury. He wasn't nearly as valuable as heralded in the '08 free agency class. He's pretty swift but not especially physical at the POA. Good player, just not elite by any means.

glm said:
In a Cover 2 defense. But he was a Pro Bowler back in Romeo Crennel's defense in Cleveland.

Leigh has a lot of talent. We'll just have to see if he can get his head on straight.

glm said:
Again, evidence.

What more do you want? I said he's lost a step and gets flags thrown on him with more frequency than most.

glm said:
Considering Rodney hasn't even played a full season since 2004, and he was averaging around 31 tackles and not even 1 interception a season in the last 4 seasons, I think Pat Chung can at least duplicate those numbers.

It's not the numbers I worry about, it's the presence in the huddle and in the backfield. I do think Patrick Chung could be a very good player, though. But you can never chalk up a rookie as a sure thing; never.

I'll agree that New England has a lot to prove this season and doesn't have a player that will "smack you in the mouth". Mayo is going to be a star in this league and showed flashes of some jarring hits last season. In fact, Patrick Willis and Mayo are not far from being one the best MLB's in the game. Not to go to far off topic, but I think Willis is already the best MLB in the game. The addition of Chung should help the secondary what it's been lacking since Rodney's good days, a hard hitting enforcer.

I can't disagree with that. Patrick Willis might be the best and Jarod Mayo is certainly on that path. If he repeats his performance last year but adds the game changing element to his repitore, then damn! Haha!

Hey Bro! What Up? said:
Yes. Bruschi needs to call it quits, he is a liability in the passing game. While we don't know whether Guyton can play full time, he defenitely makes his present felt on the field. I see him running around on a lot of plays and his speed is much needed. At worst, I could see starting by '10.

Agree with Bruschi. I know it's hard for most NE fans to come to terms with, but it's just something you have to accept.

Hey Bro! What Up? said:
He's seems like he's nothing special because he's always in coverage. If the Pats had LB's that can cover the TE, Thomas will really make his presence felt when he rushes the passer. In my opinion, he was one Eli Manning tackle away from having 3 sacks in the super bowl and my vote for the MVP. He was the forgotten man in the game because he was overshadowed by the amazing performance of the giants D-line annihilating Brady. If he was asked to only rush the passer, he'd have 10+ sacks easy.

This is a pretty good point. He is rangy down the seam with tight ends and flows to the flats pretty well; but I'd like to see him play the run a little more stoutly and offer a more consistent pass rush (but as you said, he covers tight ends frequently.)

Hey Bro! What Up? said:
Your right, Bodden was awful last year. Every time I saw the Lions highlights (that might be an oxymoron) on ESPN, I always saw Bodden chasing the opposing WR's. But the things I have heard about this guy is that he doesn't like playing in a heavy cover 2 defense. When he was with the Browns, he was asked to shadow the oppositions best receiver. He's more of a man to man player. As for Springs, someone from ESPN had mentioned that Springs has the least amount of yards attempted against him for the last couple of seasons. The two additions of Springs and Bodden tell me that the Pats may go to more of a man to man style defense featuring more jams at the line of scrimmage. If these guys pan out, it will greatly improve their pass rush.

Scheme changes are always difficult. I'll just say that the POTENTIAL that Bodden offers in your scheme scares the hell out of me as a Dolphins fan. But that said, potential doesn't play on Sundays. It's just a waiting game until then.

Springs didn't offer much help to the pass rush of the Redskins. That team has been awful at getting after the QB the past few years. I'd like to see that stat you mentioned; do you have a link or anything?

Hey Bro! What Up? said:
Harrison's game started to decline after 2004. He also became a liability in the passing game for the past couple of years. The things I hear about Chung, I don't think it will take him long to unseat Sanders because of Chung's hitting ability.

So who do you have as the starting opening day safeties? Merriweather and Chung? I think that's what you guys should hope for.

But is he smarter? This game isn't just about physical prowess. I just think that's a HUGE hole on the Patriots roster.

Well he was just an above average player in his first 20+ games with the Patriots prior to the injury. He wasn't nearly as valuable as heralded in the '08 free agency class. He's pretty swift but not especially physical at the POA. Good player, just not elite by any means.

Leigh has a lot of talent. We'll just have to see if he can get his head on straight.

What more do you want? I said he's lost a step and gets flags thrown on him with more frequency than most.

It's not the numbers I worry about, it's the presence in the huddle and in the backfield. I do think Patrick Chung could be a very good player, though. But you can never chalk up a rookie as a sure thing; never.

Basically what Hey Bro said.

Springs didn't offer much help to the pass rush of the Redskins. That team has been awful at getting after the QB the past few years. I'd like to see that stat you mentioned; do you have a link or anything?
It was posted on here right before he signed with the Pats. Can anybody help me out?

So who do you have as the starting opening day safeties? Merriweather and Chung? I think that's what you guys should hope for.

I'm guessing that Merriweather will be moved to FS while Sanders will move to SS.

Last edited:
It was posted on here right before he signed with the Pats. Can anybody help me out?

I'm guessing that Merriweather will be moved to FS while Sanders will move to SS.

I'm not saying you're a liar, I would just like to look at it for myself. Can't get enough football. :)

I'm not saying you're a liar, I would just like to look at it for myself. Can't get enough football. :)

I know what you mean, I wish I had it to show you. I remember it was on an ESPN chat when one their stat guru's presented how underrated Shawn Springs is. I'm sure someone on here can find it for us.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I wish I had it to show you. I remember it was on an ESPN chat when one their stat guru's presented how underrated Shawn Springs is. I'm sure someone on here can find it for us.

Was it KC Joyner? That guy usually has pretty good stuff.

It's funny you mention him as under-rated, I've always thought he was over-rated. It's a matter of perception, I suppose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye