• Phins

Votes: 10 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

atomdomb

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
All the teams have a decent defense and they all have some glaring holes.

Miami - pretty solid last year. I am still suspect on their D-line and LB's but they were very good stopping the run last year. Glaring hole is the rookie corners.

NE - solid D-line as usual. Need more from Big Sey this year. Can Bruschi play at a high level for another year. OLB replacing Vrabel is suspect. Corners and Safeties should be an upgrade from last year.

Jets - Solid D-line. Jenkins was huge for them. OLB's are beasts. MLB's are suspect but get a bunch of protection with Jenkins in there. Revis and Rhodes are studs. Leonard will probably help.

Bills - I don't really care.

If Pats stay healthy I give them a slight edge over the Jests.

I'd say the Pats, then a three-way tie for last.:D

This year's Defenses will be built on last year Defenss. The Patriots Defense finished as ther Top Tenth in Yards Allowed and Top Eighth in Points Allowed. That was better than any ohter AFCE Defense.

At the same time th Patriots played three new LBs and four rookies in the secondary.

The team will be better for no other reason than these players are no longer rookies.:D

Jills LOL going with the pats cause of the revamped secondary.

Well I'd like to dis the JEST, but they have some good talent.
They should be improved over last year unless fatso changes things
so much the guys they had have to re-learn a new system.

In any case I give the the PATs the edge here because of depth.
If PATs have any weakness in the D it will come from an inability to
pressure the QB consistently.
The JETs will be stressed when they rotate. Jenkins is not going to
last 4Qs if they use him excessively.
But JETs D should win them a few games this year. But If they get an injury
or two to their D starters they'll be lucky to get an 8-8 season.

Because the Patriots have made such extensive changes, they are tough to place:

Jets
Dolphins
Bills

I would expect that the Patriots will have the best defensive line but, after that, I couldn't really give anything approaching a worthwhile analysis.

Because the Patriots have made such extensive changes, they are tough to place:

Jets
Dolphins
Bills

I would expect that the Patriots will have the best defensive line but, after that, I couldn't really give anything approaching a worthwhile analysis.
Agreed.
Lets be fair we all wanted to see an OLB with a decent rep come here and there are a lot of questions to be answered in the backfield. We certainly have a very solid line and Mayo is a beast. BB clearly thinks he is all set so I'm very hopeful that we will be the best but in all honesty I would have to say that the Jets D is very solid looking. It doesn't really matter because our boys will obliterate any defence in the AFC East.

Without the answers I would have to go

Jets
Patriots
Dolphins
Bills.

Last edited:
I voted Jets because I am also a homer.

Problem with the Jets D is lack of quality depth, if Jenkins gets hurt,,,

Pats have excelent depth, and a good O goes a long way to making even an average D look better, Pats also have one of the best D lines in the game.

Phins have some talent and Parcels.

Buffalo also has the talent but never can be consistent.

1 Pats
2 Jets
3 Bills
4 Phins

It's a tough call for me because none of the defenses really excite me right now. However, I'll admit that Rex Ryan's schemes are really going to help improve their defense. In addition, New England's improved secondary could help make their LB's (pass rush) better than they really are because their making QB's hold onto the ball a split second longer. This is something they couldn't do last season. In particular, they were letting WR's run too many clean routes. Miami's defense improves by bringing back Jason Taylor, signing Gibril Wilson and drafting Vonte Davis. Miami shouldn't have a problem putting pressure on the QB. Lastly, the Bills have made some nice moves as well by drafting Maybin to help out Schobel.

It's a tough one. As much as I criticize the Pats defense, I'm going to give them the slight edge because the Jets have a new system being put in place. Miami comes in 3rd place, followed by Buffalo.

Look, we have a band new secondary, unknown quantities at OLB and are unsure of the second MLB

I expect to have some good and bad games but overall the Jets are better

Next year however I think we will be better as the new guys blood in - real shame we lost McKenzie at MLB too

Our DL and secondary are looking good - I guess it comes down to whether 1-3 of the following players steps up: Woods, Crable, TBC, Redd. If 1 or more of them play at a high level, then the defense should be the best D the Pats have fielded in several years.

Which defense will have the most energy come the 4th quarter and a lead because their offense has given them time to catch their breath.:rolleyes:

The Pats.

Look, we have a band new secondary, unknown quantities at OLB and are unsure of the second MLB

I expect to have some good and bad games but overall the Jets are better

Next year however I think we will be better as the new guys blood in - real shame we lost McKenzie at MLB too

Your reasoning is sound except for the fact that the Jets are installing a new system and have added quite a few new players to their D also. I like the Jets D though, the system that Ryan runs is aggressive and the players like to play in it. It allows them to make plays all over the field and get their highlights on Sports Center. I kind of think that is the reason Belichick can beat the Ravins/Jets D, he can take advantage of the freelance style and use players tendencies against them.

1) Miami - They are the only D still intact from last year and they played well last year.
4) Bills - What is the matter with the Bills? They sign players and do things that make you wonder if sinility has set in up there.

INC - Jets - They should be very good by the end of the season, but how long it takes for them to gel is the real question.

INC - Pats - There are a lot of question marks on this defense. The D-Backs are new to the system. I like the additions of Springs and Bodden but Bodden has been a little trick or treat. Wheatley and Wilhite played well at times last year. The LB core is troubling though. This defense depends on LB play and we are entering the season with inexperience at too many positions to be able to make an informed opinion. The problem is that if the young LB's don't perform our D will be in trouble. Last years we missed the playoffs in part because of LB play and our inability to cover recievers over the short middle of he field. I am not convinced that Belichick has done enough to solve that problem. We have rebuild the backfield but we traded our best edge pass rusher. To replace Vrable we have Woods, Banta-cain, and Crable; hardly names that evoke fears in the oponents offensive lines.

Until I see otherwise I see that Pats D as third best in the AFC East.

Last edited:
Jets - Solid D-line. Jenkins was huge for them. OLB's are beasts. MLB's are suspect but get a bunch of protection with Jenkins in there. Revis and Rhodes are studs. Leonard will probably help.

MLBs are suspect? Bart Scott and David Harris? Are you kidding me?

The weak spot in the Jets defense is at DE.

Last edited:

Miami - pretty solid last year. I am still suspect on their D-line and LB's but they were very good stopping the run last year. Glaring hole is the rookie corners.

NE - solid D-line as usual. Need more from Big Sey this year. Can Bruschi play at a high level for another year. OLB replacing Vrabel is suspect. Corners and Safeties should be an upgrade from last year.

Jets
Pats
Bills
Phins

Pats and Jets are very close at the top. Ditto Bills and Phins.

The only reason I give the Jets the edge is because we haven't seen this new group play together, and with all the changes, I just can't rank them first.

Oh, btw, how could we need more from Seymour this year? He gets consistently doubled teamed and had the best year of his career in 2008.

If we go by last years stats, which is YPG, it goes...

Pats - 10th
Bills - 14th
Phins - 15th
Jets - 16th

To be so closely ranked like that is remarkable.

On paper the Jets look the best. In reality they will be on the field for 90% of the game and won't last past the first half.

You got to be kidding me if you think our D is better than the Jets this year. If we had Hobbs and Samuel and a better starter than Woods probably.

Where they going with Woods?, he sux. Our team sucked in the red zone last year, if they improve there we'll be ok.

On paper the Jets look the best. In reality they will be on the field for 90% of the game and won't last past the first half.

I went with the Jets, but that seems like a good point.

The Jets might have an on-paper advantage in game one, BUT...

Jenkins is a big worry. We know we have depth, I wonder what they have? They almost need to be able to rotate Jenkins from game one.

I think our D could be mind-boggling in a 4-3 or in Dime packages.

We just seem a little shy on proven quantities at LB for a 3-4, but I think it's unfair to blast unproven players as much as it is silly to over-state their possible skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes