PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's subtle dig at the Colts' coaching staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbobbo

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
tweeted by reiss:

transcript:

Bill Belichick Press Conference Transcript 10/23

this part in particular:

Honestly, I think it would be pretty irresponsible if we got a player hurt and then we had a meeting on the sideline like, “What are we going to do?” Now [during practice] is the time to talk about that, not in the middle of a game.

full question and answer:

Q: Last week when Marcus Cannon went down, did you give equal thought to using a tight end or using a guard? What goes into that thought process?

BB: I'd say it starts during the week. It starts on Tuesday when we look at potentially what are the players that are going to be available, who's going to be active for the game. Sometimes we have a pretty good idea who that's going to be and sometimes we don't. Whatever the case is, we take that information and work it from there, so if we know who's going to be active, then we practice those backup moves, whatever they are. So, whoever the backup right tackle is practices that. Whoever the backup right guard is, center and so forth, whether that's another player who's already on the line, which when you only have seven players, that could definitely be part of it, sometimes you go into the game with your five guys and the other two, they are the plug-in guys and nobody else moves. But sometimes that's not the case. If you go into a game where you're not sure who the active players are going to be because you have game time decisions looming, then you practice those contingencies. If this player is at the game, here's how we're going to do it. If this player is not at the game then that's how we're going to do it. It's the same thing at every positon. Honestly, I think it would be pretty irresponsible if we got a player hurt and then we had a meeting on the sideline like, “What are we going to do?” Now is the time to talk about that, not in the middle of a game. Now, when you start losing multiple players at a position, if you lose two players at any position, on any team – that's an issue. I mean, two of anything with anybody, pick any team in the league, I doubt that wouldn't be an issue. Once you start getting into that area, then you've got to think about kind of what's our emergency move? How do we get through this? Maybe it's not so much who would play there, but what you could actually do with that person there, how you would manage the game, what you would call if you got to that point. Third quarterback, third tight end, third right tackle, third defensive end, third safety – third anything – if you're going that far down the line, it would be an issue. It would be an issue. I'm not saying you couldn't handle it, but it would be an issue. Some more than others, but I would say everything … You don't go into the game thinking about losing two guys at the same position. When that happens, that's a difficult situation. And particularly in the kicking game because now you're talking about that's 66 players on special teams – kickoff, kickoff return, punt, punt return, field goal, field goal rush – that's 66 players. That means you have to have 66 backups. I mean, you've got to have it. So, this guy is out on this team, who is going in for him? You've got to have somebody. It might be the same guy for five positons, but you've got to have somebody. OK, now you lose two guys at the same spot, again two anything – two safeties, two corners, two linebackers, two whatever they are – and they're going to be playing the same players in the kicking game. You're not going to have your middle linebacker as your gunner, so if you lose two gunners, you lose two gunners. If you lose two interior punt protectors, you're losing two interior guys on the punt return, you're losing two frontline blockers on the kickoff return, you're losing two interior, so the multiples in the kicking game, I can tell you from experience having been a special teams coach, you're really talking about making some adjustments. Like I said, it's hard enough to lose one because you're looking at 66 plus 66. You start dropping down below that, then the opportunity to even give that guy reps at that position when you get 11 guys on the field, whoever that guy is, just getting him out there is one thing, him having reps at what he's doing is probably that would be a dream I would think that most likely didn't happen during the week. So, those are tough. Lose two long snappers, lose two punters, lose two anything – that's pretty challenging. But special teams, people don't realize how difficult it is to just manage the roster in the kicking game because there are a lot of guys you can just eliminate from special teams. You don't seen any offensive linemen on the kickoff team, you don't see any defensive linemen on the kickoff team, you don't see any quarterbacks, other than the kicker and the punter, so you can take probably 15 to 20 players and just eliminate them from a lot of those teams. So now you're working with a much shorter list. And what that total number is, is one thing, but realistically what that number is, is it's another ball game. So you start talk about how many players you actually have and then you're looking at 66 spots minus the field goal team, you start looking at 66 spots and then who backs those 66 spots up and then who's behind them.

I don't see it that way at all. He's just giving some good detailed inner workings there...

Not sure but what I do know is in the Zolak/BB piece he was zinging Colts players left and right on how inadequately that they performing.

Typically taboo to call out other coaches and I don't think he set to do it but with all the bad blood between these two teams and I do agree that while in the process of providing great insight, he did find it as a convenient opportunity to crap on the Colts is a shrouded way.

I think he kinda-sorta did the same thing to Tomlin.

BB is 63 and his legacy is secure. Hes done with the nonsense with the excuse-makers.

I really think that starting with the "DYJ" special he is making it a mission to differentiate from the NEP and how they do things there from everyone else and for those teams that make the attempt to marginalize or drag his program thru the mud he is not leaving any arrows in the quiver. He won't be blatant, but he'll be very deliberate and subtle with his jabs.

It's kinda like being a die-hard fan of a really complicated, intricate TV series. The casual fan won't get the subtlety of a moment in the show but the people why pay attention totally get it and makes the watching experience all that more rich.

Last edited:
BB is just answering a question and dont think during the long answer he thought in the middle, let me tweak the colts with this subtle line.
We sometimes love these theories either which make us feel great or when someone seems to slight us even when they are not.

I don't see it that way at all. He's just giving some good detailed inner workings there...
BB is just answering a question and dont think during the long answer he thought in the middle, let me tweak the colts with this subtle line.
We sometimes love these theories either which make us feel great or when someone seems to slight us even when they are not.
maybe so. but if he just wanted to give a detailed answer, the comment about "it would be pretty irresponsible" if they weren't prepared for injuries wasn't really necessary. also, the question wasn't about special teams but he steered it that way.

not saying it's a big deal, it just caught my attention and made me chuckle.

This week the colts added another agenda to their meeting: "What to do when the head coach suffers a stroke on the sideline."

Probably not, but much has been made about the guy on that Colts play not knowing his job due to an injury to the primary guy. So....

Whether intentionally or not he's pretty much saying they're irresponsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back