PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick takes a shot at ESPN and SI at press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no question. People can call him a whatever but hes in Lombardi and Paul Brown company now.

This is now about defending his current status, his legacy and posterity. I think he understands that.

BB has had it with the sniveling idiots who bite his ankles.

Especially the NFL and coaches that don't honor the code.

Tomlin just made the list.
I'm not sure BB cares so much about his own status. I think what's really got to him is that these accusations are diminishing the legacies of the players he named.

Sorry I didn't see the full conversation after the quote of my post. we're all in agreement.

Last edited:
I'm not sure BB cares so much about his own status. I think what's really got to him is that these accusations are diminishing the legacies of the players he named.
That too certainly.

Even Felger and Spazz were giving two thumbs up to his answer. Say what you will about Belichick giving boring answers and being dull with most of the media, but when he feels like it he knows how to deliver as good as anyone. Mona Lisa Vito presser and the "not built on excuses" statement are perfect examples. The guy is fantastic. We are so goddamn lucky to have Brady and Belichick.

I love the push back! Time to put some people (a lot actually) in their places. Kind of like what he does to this Microphone! Classic "I don't have time for this $h1tt" expressions.

BB should have taken a shot at Tomlin when he intentionally tried to injure and end someone's career by tripping them.

BB doesn't do that kind of thing to other coaches (or rarely does). IMHO BB's "not built on excuses" comment is the kind of indirect smack at Tomlin that sums up his style. Count me in as someone who prefers that style of shot making (as unpopular as it can sometimes be with others).

"Not built on excuses" is for Tomlin, but of course it is also for the Colts and the Ravens and the Eagles and Mike Martz and all the revisionist historians trying to salvage their crushed pride.

I am reminded that Pete Carrol (who I dislike in general) owned up and took the blame for throwing the ball on the goal line in the SB...and it was Belichick came to his defense in the media saying it was a legitimate play call.

No excuses. Own it. Learn from it.

I was listening to a former NE TE on a radio show this morning who was talking about how BB personally instructed all players on how to respond to media questions. He would read articles on Mon and Tue and then say: they're going to ask you this and you just say it will have no effect on the game and so on.

He said that he had never seen anything like it in the other 5 teams he played for, the level of detail that BB would go into to control the message. Very smart, it reduces all the locker room drama that you hear about every season from other teams.

There was also some mention of that media strategy in Pepper Johnson's book Won For All. Belichick is a no-stone-left-unturned type of coach and that is another example. My favorite though was this year when he coached the team on how to handle the extra time in the locker room for halftime of the SB.

Another trait that I like about him is his lack of an ego. When he states that it's a players game he means it. Here are two quotes about Belichick that came from the Halberstam book The Education of a Coach;

The first quote about Belichick is from a Boston political columnist by the name of Joan Vennochi who rarely wrote about sports. Belichick, she noted, wasn't "glib or glitzy. At press conferences he sometimes seems a little goofy and is often way too grim. But he is a leader without the swagger, selfishness, and pomposity that so many men in business, politics and sports embrace as an entitlement of their gender and position."

The second quote comes from Peter Richmond, a writer from Cleveland. "What's interesting about him, and was judged a weakness in Cleveland, was that he did not play any games. There's nothing fake and there never was. He is what he is. There is no pretense, and he is utterly authentic in a world where, because of television, there is more and more which is inauthentic. What's troubling about all this is that a lot of people are more comfortable with the inauthentic, if it is reassuring, than they are with the truth, if it is not reassuring. He doesn't play the role of the coach. Instead he is the coach."

"Not built on excuses" is for Tomlin, but of course it is also for the Colts and the Ravens and the Eagles and Mike Martz and all the revisionist historians trying to salvage their crushed pride.

I am reminded that Pete Carrol (who I dislike in general) owned up and took the blame for throwing the ball on the goal line in the SB...and it was Belichick came to his defense in the media saying it was a legitimate play call.

No excuses. Own it. Learn from it.
Not only that but he said that people don't have the credentials to even be in the position to question Pete's decision.

That was a shot at the media right there.

He defended Stinky Pete hard. Old school.

Not only that but he said that people don't have the credentials to even be in the position to question Pete's decision.

That was a shot at the media right there.

He defended Stinky Pete hard. Old school.

And that is the biggest difference between Belichick and Don Shula. If the situation were reversed in 2007 and it was Shula who was chasing Belichick's 17-0 season, you would hear nothing but respect from Belichick. Shula chose the low road.

And that is the biggest difference between Belichick and Don Shula. If the situation were reversed in 2007 and it was Shula who was chasing Belichick's 17-0 season, you would hear nothing but respect from Belichick. Shula chose the low road.
Yep.

I have a ton of respect for what Shula has accomplished. He's 85 now. Sometimes people at an advanced age choose to be angry and bitter and not have the perspective of how great their life was. Not sure why Shula feels the need to belittle BBs accomplishments.

I also loved how genuinely grateful Carroll sounded when he was told of BB's words. That man was shell shocked for quite some time and he just sounded so thankful that someone had come to his defense.

Yep.

I have a ton of respect for what Shula has accomplished. He's 85 now. Sometimes people at an advanced age choose to be angry and bitter and not have the perspective of how great their life was. Not sure why Shula feels the need to belittle BBs accomplishments.

The best part in 2007 was that Shula claimed the Pats should get an asterisk because they were fined cash and a 1st round pick. The senile old fart must have forgotten that he was also fined a 1st round pick and cash for the violation that brought him to Miami in 1970, which led directly to two of his three SB wins. Luckily for him, his ex-players knew the story and put a muzzle on him pretty quickly.

Perhaps all the noise from Deflategate and Spygate has driven him over the edge and we will now see a new and improved media presence, one that focuses on facts rather than conjecture...

The media get confused when they are allowed, unabated, to criticize and cajole people who do not fight back.. but in this case Bill's comments were clearly about minimizing the accomplishments of the players who played for those teams...

Attention media do not get confused by the silence it is not weakness, it is about focusing on getting ready for the next game..

BB doesn't do that kind of thing to other coaches (or rarely does). IMHO BB's "not built on excuses" comment is the kind of indirect smack at Tomlin that sums up his style. Count me in as someone who prefers that style of shot making (as unpopular as it can sometimes be with others).
Totally agree. I thought Tomlin's press conference was pathetic and disgusting; that stepping on the field/tripping thing was just heat of the moment and dopey. Press conference was much worse.

The best part in 2007 was that Shula claimed the Pats should get an asterisk because they were fined cash and a 1st round pick. The senile old fart must have forgotten that he was also fined a 1st round pick and cash for the violation that brought him to Miami in 1970, which led directly to two of his three SB wins. Luckily for him, his ex-players knew the story and put a muzzle on him pretty quickly.

They should ask Shula about painkiller perscriptions, 15 men in the huddle and not putting tarps on the field.

Since he's 85 he won't remember...:rolleyes:

He probably doesn't even remember that at this point. He's be lucky to remember what time jello hour is in the cafeteria.

Maybe they will lock ESPN out of the locker room the week of their one game on the craptastic network. That would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back