PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick drafted 5 QB's who are starters this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard that. My understanding was that Favre was pretty good to his backups. Check this out.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/sports/football/10favre.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

With that said, Joe Montana was absolutely brutal to Steve Young. Very critical.

And I never heard that about Montana and Young. Learn something new every day.

I remember Favre taking a pretty harsh stance after the Packers drafted Rodgers. According to the article below, Favre wasn't very pleasant when asked about the new rookie QB. But it seems their relationship warmed up in year 2 and 3.

http://www.packerpedia.com/mentoring.html

Brett Favre is broadly remembered by fans as the guy who didn't mentor Aaron Rodgers. When asked about this in 2005, Favre was famously quoted:

“It’s not my job to get him ready to play…It’s his job. My contract doesn’t say I have to get Aaron Rodgers ready to play. Now, hopefully he watches me and gets something from that, either good or bad…and it helps him have a great career. I’m not obligated one bit to help anyone.”

OK. Well, it's one thing to not mentor someone, but it was also widely reported that Favre resented the fact that his successor was drafted and virtually gave Rodgers the cold shoulder his rookie year. Things reportedly warmed up to the point where the two quarterbacks had a sustainable working relationship in their second and third years together. Although Rodgers hasn't said much directly about this topic, when asked about that period of time he did say the following:

"I thought we were (close), I really did. You know, the first year was a tough year. I'm sure there were some feelings of frustration that they picked his potential successor in the first round. But then in '06 and '07 I thought our relationship really got strong, and he realized that I was in his corner."

I remember that Favre quote back in the day which made me think he was hostile towards his backups, but in retrospect, it was probably just Rodgers due to the high draft pick spent on him and the insecurity Favre felt (or based on some pictures he apparently sent to Jenn Sterger, he had other reasons to be insecure, but I digress).

Last edited:
Edelman is compared to Welker because they're both shorter, white WR's gaining fame on the Patriots.

However, Welker was always a receiver. Edelman was not.

"I used to be a quarterback. I didn’t play a snap at receiver until I got to the NFL."

Edelman had 1,000 rushing yards and 1,000 passing yards as a quarterback his senior year at Kent State. I'm sure converting him to a WR was one of the visions the Patriots had for him, but he was still a quarterback in the NFL draft. Also why there's only one quarterback behind Tom Brady. He'd rather be a starter on offense and special teams than be a full-time bench warmer.

I'm sure lots of teams would love to try out Edelman for quarterback. We will hopefully never know how good Edelman is as a starting QB because our starting quarterback... is the GREATEST QB IN HISTORY and we'd like Edelman as a WR.

"We worked on everything. How to line up, how to read a defender, how to break a jam. Now, I’m a wide receiver."

- Edelman -

Edelman entered the draft as a WR.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=67858&draftyear=2009&genpos=WR

I don't doubt it. Two highly competitive guys with chips on their shoulders...

What did Young do to Montana?
Picture Mallett or Garapollo openly campaigning for Tom Brady's job. For that matter what did Montana do to Young that was so bad?

Picture Mallett or Garapollo openly campaigning for Tom Brady's job. For that matter what did Montana do to Young that was so bad?

Good except from a book about the two.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/thr...ve-young-nfl-greatest-quarterback-controversy

I love this one...

That season, a member of the press was pulled aside by Montana, who said that Young had covertly erased portions of practice film in which Young threw a bad pass or made the wrong read. Within a week, Young pulled aside that same person to inform them that Montana was spreading false rumors about him erasing practice films to hide mistakes from the coaching staff.

"As a journalist, you're like, ‘Well, this is really great for people like me,'" the member of the press later recalled. "But are we in junior high, or what's the deal? ... I still can't really believe that those two guys, that accomplished, did that. But that was the atmosphere."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe