PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichecks Offseason thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1: I think its as simple as BB wont pay for backs. And With another strong rb draft as it looks like, Ridley and Veeren also gonna be out.
2: This is smartest thing BB have done for a long time. Not only did he refuse to pay extra to vets as backup, but he have been able to use more then a 53 man squard - Saved Money and gave PS ppl real snaps.
3: Kelly wanted to start, something BB couldn't offer.
4: Logans time rings out shortly - Infact he wasn't good last year. Plus i think it was the best thing for DeGuglielmo AND Stork.
I think he might pay for Vereen. He paid for Faulk after all. Although on the other side, he didn't pay for Danny Woodhead. But if he's happy with Vereen's pass catching ability, I could see him sticking around. Not impressed with White to this point.

I think he might pay for Vereen. He paid for Faulk after all. Although on the other side, he didn't pay for Danny Woodhead. But if he's happy with Vereen's pass catching ability, I could see him sticking around. Not impressed with White to this point.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing them let Vereen go.

He did pay for Woodhead though before Vereen was on the roster. I think he reups Vereen and Ridley to see if he can play after the knee injury.

Physical and tough runner will also be a draft priority.

And White is a 3 Down back nothing else, he aint a road grinder and never will be. So if the resign Veeren the make this pick almost pointless.

And White is a 3 Down back nothing else, he aint a road grinder and never will be. So if the resign Veeren the make this pick almost pointless.

I'm not following you.

They used a draft pick on a 3 Down back, a year before they need him, basicly giving him a redshirt year, but also backup Veeren this year.

I'm not following you.
I think it's another complaint about Bill the GM. Of course, it overlooks the fact that White provides low cost insurance for Vereen, who has proven to be somewhat less than durable in the past.

They used a draft pick on a 3 Down back, a year before they need him, basicly giving him a redshirt year, but also backup Veeren this year.

I thought another pass-catching option in the backfield was a clear, glaring need on the roster. Last year we saw that the offense lost a whole dimension when Vereen was hurt.

Whether White was the right choice, of course, remains an open question. FWIW I liked the pick at the time since he seemed like the most well-rounded back left on the board, with polished pass-catching and pass-protection skills.

Chung is a huge surprise. As for wendell, most of us assumed he couldn't play on the offensive line. He can, just not at tackle or center.
Wendell gets by on grit, SOB toughness, and brains. But he IS limited by his body. He really needs another 30 lbs. That will always be his problem.

His movement and pulling skills can be used to help in the Running game; but he can't drive block when that is called for and needed.

It's too early, but the draft looks solid, although confusing.

Stork: Starting caliber center, could become more than that.
Butler: NFL caliber CB, could become starting caliber.
Moore: Potential rotational NFL DL

Easley: ??? (Wont really know until 2015)
Jimmy G: ??? (Wont really know until 2036)
Fleming: ???
White: ??? (Not looking good)

If we drafted Stork in round 1 and Butler in round 2 the draft would be looking very good. :D

Maybe this is a more recent thing, but he paid Kevin Faulk pretty darn well given how infrequently he touched the ball.

I don't know if there is a player in NFL. history who made more key plays per touch, it seemed like every time Failk made a play it was for a conversion. And although he has never come close to earning his salary the one thing Amendola has done lately is make key plays for them, and according to Belichick he was the one who sprang Edelman on that PR for the TD against Denver, and he also converted some big third downs. His numbers won't be what we were looking for hut he can still be a sigjificant factor for them going forward.

In all honesty this is the first time all season where I feel like they are a legit contendor for the Lombardi.

I thought another pass-catching option in the backfield was a clear, glaring need on the roster. Last year we saw that the offense lost a whole dimension when Vereen was hurt.

Whether White was the right choice, of course, remains an open question. FWIW I liked the pick at the time since he seemed like the most well-rounded back left on the board, with polished pass-catching and pass-protection skills.

I think it's another complaint about Bill the GM. Of course, it overlooks the fact that White provides low cost insurance for Vereen, who has proven to be somewhat less than durable in the past.

I think when he says 3 down he means 3rd down?

That's what I thought he was saying, but I'm still not seeing how re-signing Vereen makes White's selection pointless. Is every 4th round pick supposed to supplant the incumbent within a year or be deemed valueless?

I consider the Pats special teams the best. Ghost is easily the best kicker in the league. Ryan Allen is an excellent punter and holder and Edelman is one of the best PR guys in the game. There is also a pluthera of talent in both kick coverage teams. The only knock on the special teams is Aiken.
LOL@spiteful baby.

That's what I thought he was saying, but I'm still not seeing how re-signing Vereen makes White's selection pointless. Is every 4th round pick supposed to supplant the incumbent within a year or be deemed valueless?

Yup, a hedge is what it is. Its value is in the protection that it gives you, whether or not that protection ends up being needed. Even if Vereen is re-signed, having White behind him has value.

And that's before we even mention any leverage that having White provides when it comes to negotiating Vereen's contract.

Revis has been a great addition, but for the price, he should be. Signing one of, if not THE best corners in football is something even your average 12-year old wanna-be GM in Madden would do. I'm glad we signed him, but I always think about the under-the-radar moves moreso than the big ones.

The LaFell signing is looking amazing when you look at production vs. price. Nobody saw that coming. And those are the types of moves that make me realize I spend about 1% of the time on football that these guys do.

The Chung deal was typical BB, low-risk, high-reward. There's little downside to bringing him in, and if it doesn't work out, you lose pretty much nothing.

I think bb counted in silgea being the complimentary DT to wilfork and that is why bb let jelly walk.

Blount was the only head scratcher in my book.

Loved the rest of the moves.

I think we're definitely in a huge net-positive position compared to where we were at the end of last season.

Moves that look fantastic in hindsight (so far):

- Getting Wilfork back. Many were about ready to wish the big guy a fond farewell given his age, injury, and middling play last year prior to the injury (though it's now obvious he was likely battling some other injury). He's been playing great - I honestly haven't watched him meticulously enough to know if he's lost a step, but it certainly isn't the drop-off we all feared.

- Brandon LaFell. Listen, I would have liked Emmanuel Sanders too, but I'd take LaFell at half the money every time. The biggest reason? Sanders is a stylistic redundancy for our offense with Edelman and Amendola already on it; Sanders may be the fastest undersized WR of the three, but we're getting better value with Edelman, who's also an ST beast, and our hands are tied with Amendola. With LaFell, we get a big, physical receiver the Patriots were sorely lacking last year who is quickly developing into a redzone and outside threat. This guy has the potential to become someone that can stretch the field for us. Normally I'd think our ideal setup would have him as WR2 with a true WR1 making our offense all but unstoppable, but Gronk skews this notion. If Tim Wright keeps developing, I think an arsenal of Gronk-Wright-LaFell-Edelman-Vereen is capable of shredding most defenses. At $3M per year, LaFell has been all value so far.

- Everybody Pat Chung tonight. Talk about redemption. I'm not saying he's lights out, and think he's easily the weakest part of our starting secondary, but when they brought him in I thought he was essentially camp fodder. From their he earned the starting role and has thus far done better than I think anyone expected. Again, so much value as we have him at $1.1M/year.

Moves that are living up to expectations:

- Our corner signings. It's because of the trust Bill is afforded in the secondary of Revis, Browner and co. that our defense can pull off some of the exotic looks we had the privilege of seeing against the Broncos. They've met all expectations I had for them thus far, and you can't put a price on what our secondary depth does for our defense. Well, you can. At approx. $17M this year, we're getting exactly what we paid for so far, but at that price, it'd be a pretty big disappointment if we weren't.

- Mankins trade. Initially this trade made my heart sink; overrated or not, Logan brought such an intensity and leadership to the field, and was one of my favorite Patriots. Unfortunately, overrated he was, and it's pretty easy to justify the trade knowing how much we were paying to keep him around. My biggest issue with the trade was losing a perceived top player at one of our biggest areas of need, but we got a player full of potential at another area of need. Plus a 4th rounder to boot.

Also, a little off topic but... *puts tinfoil hat on*.. you can count me in the camp of those who think BB is holding off using the 2 TE look as long as possible to keep opposing coaches from having anything on tape for when the playoffs role around. This would be a huge meta-game move on Bill's part, and requires the offense to be extremely efficient in its practices to have moves it might not reveal for months, but if you can somehow make it to the big dance with an offense the other team has almost nothing on, how could they possibly stop it? *takes tinfoil hat off*

Moves of crushing disappointment.

- The whole Kelly situation was just unfortunate. I know he asked to be released, but I really think the two sides could have probably worked something out.

- I've given it a year and a half. I'm finally ready to give up on my hopes for Amendola as resembling anything close to what we brought him in for. Don't get me wrong, I think he can make a great Patriot; he's an excellent ST'er, still has good hands and appears to be improving each week. But at this point he'd have to go on a 80-yards per game plus TD stretch to close out the season to be worth what we paid for him. If I were the Pats I'd actually want to keep him, but his contract clearly needs to be restructured and more realistic - I think Amendola has to realize this as well.

But yea, overall I think Bill the GM has been killing it this offseason. I find it funny that the area on which he's most criticized (his drafting) is the area that is the very definition of hypothesizing: an educated guess.

The hiring of Dave DeGuglielmo, initially viewed with consternation and damnation.. seems to be working out pretty good..

Sacks are way down from last year... 26 after 9 games in 2013, 16 after 9 games in 2014. Despite losing the greatest lineman evah!!!!

Too many offensive line penalties though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back