PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Patriots sign a 3rd FB, Cowboys Tony Fiammetta

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Patriots close to signing FB Fiammetta - Extra Points - Boston.com

Apparently, new offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is aiming to run a little bit more of a two-back offense, which was largely non-existent under Bill O'Brien outside of short yardage.

Fiammetta played well for the Cowboys last season before a mysterious ailment -- later revealed as an inner-ear infection that caused balance issues -- caused him to miss three games. Fiammetta wasn't quite the same player when he returned, but the Cowboys' running backs enjoyed much more success when he was on the field compared to when he was off it.​

Fiammetta on Pats' radar - New England Patriots Blog - espnBoston

Entering his fourth NFL season, Fiammetta was scheduled for restricted free agency this offseason but the Cowboys did not tender him. That made him an unrestricted free agent.

The 6-foot, 242-pound Fiammetta entered the NFL as a fourth-round draft choice of the Panthers. He played the first two years of his career in Carolina, before landing with the Cowboys last year. He has appeared in 34 regular-season games (17 starts).​

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bedard: Patriots close to signing a 3rd FB, Cowboys Tony Fiammetta

One thing I don't like about FB signings is that the Pats seem to wind up using FBs as mediocre short yardage runners.

Yeah, I'm thinking mainly of Heath Evans, who wasn't a pure FB until after joining the Patriots. But still the point kind of stands.

They have assembled some interesting pieces for Josh's offense. It will be fun to watch it all come together in training camp that's for sure.

Can't see bringing 3 (possibly 4 with Kettani) FB's to camp. Way too many roster spots dedicated to a position that is used less than a punter.

If they sign Fiametta, it would likely mean that Polite would get cut.

Interesting.
The Pats haven't had any use for a FB on the roster in quite some time.
They've varied between just-another-running back in a FB set, like Morris, or some-large-guy, from Seymour to Wendell at short-yardage FB.
That would definitely imply a different offense - and by implication a slightly lesser role for Brady.

I guess the Pats could line up tight with Hernandez-Fells-Larsen/other-Ridley-Gronk, and then split Hernandez and Gronk out with Fells in the slot. Or use Vareen and run him out wide.

God, I can't wait to see this offense in action. McDaniels and BB are doing work!

God, I can't wait to see this offense in action. McDaniels and BB are doing work!

This is true. But I hope they save some room for the defense too. It would be nice if our pass rush was improved. I know it's the same old tune, but one day they have to hear our cries, Right? :(

The less Brady has to throw to carry the team,the better for his health and overall an offense that is not predictable.

Would love to see some good rushing and defense for once instead of Air Brady all the time.

My wife will be ecastatic about this move....She went to high school with Tony and taped his ankles for every game as the athletic trainer.....

Anyways from a football standpoint from what I have seen he is a hell of a blocker....I think he would be the best pure FB on our roster.......

I Guess We'll Have A Fullback

Fiametta is close to signing. Larsen has a 2 year deal. We have Polite from last year. And Kettani might be available. This seems to be a lot of effort if we are not planning to carry a fullback.

They are accumulating known talent now, even if much of it is lower end of the roster talent, and they'll likely be drafting some high round talent in the draft. What's going to follow that is a bloodletting of significant proportions as the positional battles weed out some of these same players that are getting people excited right now.

While I will certainly feel bad for the guys who end up not making it, it's going to be a blast to follow.

Remember when the FB used to be a weapon ?, Tom Rathman, Larry Centers, Keith Byars, I remember them ALL being killer weapons as receivers out of the backfield. Pretty much the easiest 5-7 yards ever, like taking candy from a baby, swing or wheel route out of the backfield, it was like stopping a freight train when they got up to speed.

none of this matters if our D don't get off the field quickly / regularly.

But, yes I'm excited about the (proposed) change in philosophy in offense :eek:

Tony Fiammetta (RFA), FB, Cowboys. Age: 26.
DeMarco Murray's production really dropped off when Tony Fiammetta was out of the lineup, and then it picked up once again when Fiammetta returned. Coincidence?

WalterFootball.com: 2012 NFL Free Agents - Fullbacks

They have him as one of the best FBs in the league, take it for what its worth.

Would be a great addition if he's healthy. But yeah, a 3rd FB is pretty strange. I'm already excited for this offense :D

3 FBs battling it out for BJGE's single roster spot?

Also, it look like McDaniels had some type of agreement with BB that if he was going to come back, that BB would give McD more roster making decisions?? I hope Mcdaniels knows what he is doing.

Bedard is now saying it is a done deal.

Twitter Link

FB Tony Fiammetta has agreed to terms with the Patriots, according to a league source.​

Last edited by a moderator:

I just want to get some things straight. We came out of the season with a near record setting offense, and a near record setting defense (in the bad way) and so far we've signed <takes deep breath>

2x FB's
1xTE
3xWR's
1xOG

Phew! I'm all for building to your strengths, but this is, well, interesting to say the least.

Seems like a good pick up, but still puzzling. The Pats have technically four FBs on the roster if you count Eric Kettani who may or may not get permission from the Navy to play. For a position they rarely use, that is a lot of money to tie up in one position.

My guess is that Spencer Larsen is making the move to LB and special teams. Polite looks to be a goner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST