PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard on the 2-gap 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lloyd was WIDE open. Brady should have put that ball right in his hands.

That was the intent. He was running a double fake reverse and when he let the ball go Brandon was streaking down the field having beaten the coverage. Then he twisted himself up like a pretzel turning all the way around... I think he had a flashback to his Denver or St. Louis days...

He did. He can't account for Lloyd stopping and misjudging the throw.
Your argument is like saying it the catcher moves out of the way, its the pitchers fault for throwing a strike.

The problem with that is that it implies Lloyd was a stationary target. How long was that ball in the air? He misjudged the throw, plain and simple. It would be like blaming the batter for Jacoby Ellsbury getting a bad read and dropping an easy flyball.

It's not a big deal either way. It was the first deep ball all season.

These guys will hit that in December, January, and (hopefully) February.

Last edited:
He did. He can't account for Lloyd stopping and misjudging the throw.
Your argument is like saying it the catcher moves out of the way, its the pitchers fault for throwing a strike.

Damn, your baseball example is better than mine...

It's not a big deal either way. It was the first deep ball all season.

These guys will hit that in December, January, and (hopefully) February.

:yeahthat:

So about that 2-gap 4-3....

Hey!! Let's try to keep On TOPIC, shall we?? :rolleyes:
jester.gif

What Bedard provides is a great service to all serious fans. We should be more tolerant with some of his interpretations of what he sees. Its just his opinion and he doesn't pretend that it isn't. We could all look at the same tape and come out with different opinions on why something happens on a given play.

Give him credit. He obviously puts in the time to break the game down and offer us some insights. How many here knew the Pats were still playing 2 gap while in the 3-4. Wanna bet we are the only team in the league that does the 3-4 that way. That's a great piece of info for us. Some other great stuff was like letting us know that Logan Mankins is not all the way back and confirming my opinion that Gregory took a bad angle on the Titan TD. ;)

Exactly. Unfortunately, he was practically run off the board a couple of weeks ago when he came on to visit by some here (just like they ran off SMY and that guy who wrote the 'Business Secrets of the Pats' book a while back).

The 2-gap insight was fantastic this morning and I disagree with him strongly about the Brady-Lloyd throw.

:yeahthat:

It would be interesting to know how much 2 gap discipline was played in sub packages, since we used so much of it.
It really seems that both personell and scheme-wise BB is trying to sacrifice one thing to take something else, but an undersize DL playing nickel 2 gap with DL that have pass rush skills is intriguing.
It gives you:
1) The extra DB to defend the more pass happy play calling
2) A 2gap discipline to be able to defend the run in not so out of whack pass/run ratio down and distances
3) DL who have the skillset to get pressure after initiating 2 gap technique.

What Bedard provides is a great service to all serious fans. We should be more tolerant with some of his interpretations of what he sees. Its just his opinion and he doesn't pretend that it isn't. We could all look at the same tape and come out with different opinions on why something happens on a given play.

Give him credit. He obviously puts in the time to break the game down and offer us some insights. How many here knew the Pats were still playing 2 gap while in the 3-4. Wanna bet we are the only team in the league that does the 3-4 that way. That's a great piece of info for us. Some other great stuff was like letting us know that Logan Mankins is not all the way back and confirming my opinion that Gregory took a bad angle on the Titan TD. ;)
Do you mean 4-3 here?

...an undersize DL playing nickel 2 gap with DL that have pass rush skills is intriguing.
It gives you:
1) The extra DB to defend the more pass happy play calling
2) A 2gap discipline to be able to defend the run in not so out of whack pass/run ratio down and distances
3) DL who have the skillset to get pressure after initiating 2 gap technique.

Agreed, a 6-man, 2-gap front (Wilfork-Love, Jones-Nink/Cunningham, Mayo-Hightower) could be a nicely flexible "neo-base" tailored to the team's personnel strengths. Mayo and Hightower are pretty much the ideal pair of LBs to pull that off.

I *finally* got to watch the game last night. I must say it was a treat watching the front-7 (that 10 second rewind button on gamerewind.nfl.com is awesome). I watched three guys in particular: Jones, Hightower and Cunningham. Jones was dominant all game. Hightower had most of his highlights in the first half and Cunningham in the 2nd (when he saw more snaps).

Jones was a matchup nightmare for Roos. Even on the plays Roos held him at bay, he was still able to get some push, backing up Roos into the pocket and shrinking Locker's comfort zone. The rest of the time Roos couldn't control him. Jones put on a clinic in the first half on setting the edge vs. the run. On pass rushes, Jones showed a bunch of moves both outside and inside. At 260lbs, I figured he could get pushed around, particularly as the game wore on. No way. The guy must be naturally strong in the mold of Hannah and Mankins if he can hold up against a guy who has 40lbs on him all game.

I'm glad Bedard pointed out the play Hightower made immediately prior to the sack/fumble/TD. The guy blew up the primary block and then the help blocker, pinning CJ3 in the backfield. The power shown on that play was awesome. There were other times when he rushed the QB up the gut and despite being picked up, he collapsed the pocket routinely which is exactly what you want to see done when the other team still does its job. He spent a lot of the day in coverage, but showed great speed on converging on the RBs out of the backfield or receivers in the underneath zones.

Cunningham as an interior pass-rusher is a revelation. The guy looks huge, much bigger than his listed weight (seems like he's 275 - 280). He showed some strategy for someone in a new role; Combining bull-rushes with other moves to set up the opposing guard in finding a way past to the QB. Even seasoned DTs with 30+ lbs over Cunningham don't often show such skill and power.

On the other side of the battle, I have to say that I pity Tennessee with that #64 at RG. The poor guy got abused all day. Even Trevor Scott blew him up on a bull-rush on a play late in the first half. Kudos to the Pats on bringing heat up the gut, but it wouldn't shock me if the Pats found something on film (preseason, last year) or early in the game that indicated that they should put someone on his nose and go to town on him. I also have to question Roos as Jones was *too* good against him in both running and passing situations that I have difficulty claiming it was all Jones (maybe it was, which would be awesome). I think the next few games will sort out how much of Jones' dominant performance was Jones being the next superstar DE and Roos slipping from his Pro Bowl years.

Regards,
Chris

If the only gripes that we have after week 1 are one barely missed downfield pass and a couple of negative rushes en route to 125 yards, a TD, and 6 YPC, then I'd say that it was a pretty good week.

The defensive line stuff is good but then he goes on to say Brady should have made a better throw for the Lloyd drop when it still looks quite clear that it was on Lloyd for slowing down and turning round.

He got the Welker drop wrong in the SB, too. He's much better with the knowledge than the application.

Agreed, a 6-man, 2-gap front (Wilfork-Love, Jones-Nink/Cunningham, Mayo-Hightower) could be a nicely flexible "neo-base" tailored to the team's personnel strengths. Mayo and Hightower are pretty much the ideal pair of LBs to pull that off.
Esp vs 3 wide

Exactly. Unfortunately, he was practically run off the board a couple of weeks ago when he came on to visit by some here (just like they ran off SMY and that guy who wrote the 'Business Secrets of the Pats' book a while back).

The 2-gap insight was fantastic this morning and I disagree with him strongly about the Brady-Lloyd throw.

Did someone really post something to SMY that convinced her not to return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft