PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears trade CB Dante Wesley to Patriots for undisclosed draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, this guy most likely will not make the roster. It was probably a conditional pick, 6th or 7th rounder at best.

Just my opinion, but when you seriously look at the roster, who would he beat out?

Yes, he sucked so bad that he had 13 special teams tackles in 13 games...Granted he wasn't Brendan Ayanbandejo who had 20, but he wasn't a slouch either, stats wise. From what I can fiend, Wesley was the Bears 2nd best special teams tackler.

He made 1 tackle per game. The Bears expect players to do more than that and that's why you can't ever put him in the game as a CB. He is absolutely terrible.

I've heard of him before but for some reason I can't remember much about him. From that scouts inc writeup he sounds more like a SS/ST than anything.

Last edited:
Maybe BB and crew see something in him they like and can capitalize on..

As a bonus Asante might take this as a slap in the face. Not saying the team was thinking about him when they made this trade. Just that they find guys to do a job and would rather trade for a depth guy and move the others up. Asante should still do what he feels is best.

Last edited:
The Bears play a different defense then the Pats, who knows how he'll be used or work out here? Asante had the negative tag of being too slow and Hobbs was "stiff hipped" per draftnik sites. Low expectations are wise at this point, let Collier and Seeley work with him and take a wait and see attitude. Chad Scott showed how his size and strength helped working against Antonio Gates, yet Pittsburgh fans claim to hate him for his play while on their team - life's a beach, and then you sign with New England.

Tony Eason...ugh...Thank God for Tom Brady.

In 1984 the back-end of 1985 and 1986, Eason was a pretty decent Qb.

Yes- he was a turtle and did not like to play hurt.

Yes, he sucked so bad that he had 13 special teams tackles in 13 games...Granted he wasn't Brendan Ayanbandejo who had 20, but he wasn't a slouch either, stats wise. From what I can fiend, Wesley was the Bears 2nd best special teams tackler.

He only had 10 tackles last year...and he did play defense.

Again...I didn't see it but Bears fans are saying. if he was their 2nd best ST player...why would they just cut him after trading a DB earlier? They felt a rookie was better.

He made 1 tackle per game. The Bears expect players to do more than that and that's why you can't ever put him in the game as a CB. He is absolutely terrible.

Most GOOD special team players only make 1 tackle per game. Its a matter of how many special team chances they get coupled with the number of special team players on the field. Ayanbandejo is an exception to the rule.

As for putting him in the game as a CB, yes, its already been documented that that Wesley isn't a very good Cover-2 CB. But that doesn't mean he won't be able to perform in the Pats defense as a dime back since the Pats don't tend to use the Cover-2 scheme much.

This seems to be another one of those desperation moves that the USA Today writer was talking about. This move reeks of the Pats desperately trying to keep up with the Colts. The Colts lose Tarik Glenn (which by a lot of media opinions seem to have made the Colts actually better) and Booger McFarland (who all the sudden was a liability last year). The Pats are clearly countering the Colts' obvious addition by substration with a desperation reach for a marque back up CB and special teams player who virtually no one other than Panthers or Bears fans have ever heard of.

I am ashamed to be a Pats fan today after this shameless and fruitless attempt by Belichick and Pioli to mortgage the Pats' future to keep up with the ever improving Colts.

This is one of the more ridiculous posts I've seen here in recent months, unless the poster is a Colts fan, in which case the delusions expressed are understandable.

This is one of the more ridiculous posts I've seen here in recent months, unless the poster is a Colts fan, in which case the delusions expressed are understandable.
I know this is the internet and all, but his post was DRIPPING so much with sarcasm I almost slipped.

It was tongue in cheek.

Apparently the sarcasm detector needs new batteries. ;)

(See this thread)

Again...I didn't see it but Bears fans are saying. if he was their 2nd best ST player...why would they just cut him after trading a DB earlier? They felt a rookie was better.

1) The Bears didn't cut him. They traded him to the Pats for a conditional pick
2) And even at 10 special teams tackles, it was still up there on their team. Maybe 3rd from what I counted.
3) As Lovie Smith said in the article, Wesley wasn't cut out for the Cover-2 scheme they implemented last year. It happens.

No one is saying that this guy is going to be awesome. In fact, my initial statement was a back-up/ST/Nickle/Dime.

Big whoop. Its depth.

MaineFan,
I believe the author was being facetious.

So are you in favor of this trade or not?

Most GOOD special team players only make 1 tackle per game. Its a matter of how many special team chances they get coupled with the number of special team players on the field. Ayanbandejo is an exception to the rule.

As for putting him in the game as a CB, yes, its already been documented that that Wesley isn't a very good Cover-2 CB. But that doesn't mean he won't be able to perform in the Pats defense as a dime back since the Pats don't tend to use the Cover-2 scheme much.

Well, good luck with him. BTW, he also gets a lot of penalties and hopefully won't cost you a return. The Bears think so little of him that they chose from a pool of rookies rather than keep him

I disagree. It was one of the most serious posts I have EVER read. I reckon we are going to go 0-16 on the back of this ludicrous trade. I bet they gave up both of 2008's 1sts for him. :mad:

Ok guys, I've replaced the batteries in my sarcasm detector and it's howling like a banshee (whatever that is).

Rob, please accept my apologies. Sometimes I'm not as smart as I like to think I am.

Well, good luck with him. BTW, he also gets a lot of penalties and hopefully won't cost you a return. The Bears think so little of him that they chose from a pool of rookies rather than keep him

That is an interesting assumption on your part. That because he didn't fit into their Cover-2 scheme that they thought so little of him.

So, is it your insinuation that players who don't fit into a team scheme are thought very little of by the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back