PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears trade CB Dante Wesley to Patriots for undisclosed draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...a part time model...reminds me of Zoolander, hey maybe we might lose TB after all...to a career change!

Here's the book on Mr. Wesley:

Assets Very big and physical. A bump-and-run type at corner who can also play safety.

Flaws Not very fast. Doesn't turn quickly. Will get toasted if asked to cover receivers deep without help at safety.
Career potential Solid backup.

In addition to potential ST contributions, I think BB wants a physical corner for certain situational matchups. You can be sure that in those instances the plan will call for the safety coverage to rotate to his side in support. BB is always about situations, depth and versitility (ST contributions).

He's a physical corner that can jam well at the line-I'm sure we'll see more than that though.

Chad Scott is out and Wesley will be a great compliment to our D-packages.

How can a conditional pick be bad? The patriots are in control. If he's worth the pick and he beats out others, he makes the team. If not, not. At worst, he is insurance. He has played dime back and special teams for top teams. If we are not converted a safety, we can certainly use a corner.

Last edited:
How can a conditional pick be bad?
I'd guess it's one of those tryout/conditional 6th or 7ths where we owe nothing if he doesn't make the team.

This is one of the more ridiculous posts I've seen here in recent months, unless the poster is a Colts fan, in which case the delusions expressed are understandable.

I've been accused of missing the point on sarcastic postings but I took this to be 'tongue in cheek' and a play on the USA Today writer who accused the Pats of acting in desperation in loading up on WR while the colts didn't........

http://bears.scout.com/2/665927.html

If Wesley can show that he can handle some reps at Big CB/FS, then perhaps Wilson and Meriweather can be given more reps at CB. If, OTOH, Wesley proves to be just another Dexter Reid and Corey Mays on STs (i.e., a penalty machine), and of no use as a DB, then we probably won't have to send da bears anything.

Now that Wesley has been added, who gets subtracted? Please, let it be one of Dunlap or Jones. Or Malone. Too many WRs, and not enough RBs (or maybe even TEs).

I presume that the condition is making the team. In that case, it doecn't matter what the pick is. Let's say its a 4th (obviously very unlikely). Well, we wouldn't have him make the team unless we thought he was worth the pick. BTW, I always presume a conditional 6th. There have been many deals at that value.

It depends what condition your condition is in

P.S. I agree

If Wesley can show that he can handle some reps at Big CB/FS, then perhaps Wilson and Meriweather can be given more reps at CB. If, OTOH, Wesley proves to be just another Dexter Reid and Corey Mays on STs (i.e., a penalty machine), and of no use as a DB, then we probably won't have to send da bears anything.

Now that Wesley has been added, who gets subtracted? Please, let it be one of Dunlap or Jones. Or Malone. Too many WRs, and not enough RBs (or maybe even TEs).

Doesn't have to be anyone yet, don't think. We'll see.

Doesn't have to be anyone yet, don't think. We'll see.
They were down two...Hill and Scott...(plus the phantom two...from the start of TC). So...I say they cut no one - don't need to.

They probably stay for preseason. Moss probably wont play...Jackson is out...Brown is out.

Stallworth might not play this game since hes had so little time and plus I don't see him getting a lot of PS reps. Same with Welker...he probably wont play much. Gaffney maybe...Caldwell-Washington-Childress will play a lot.

He made 1 tackle per game. The Bears expect players to do more than that and that's why you can't ever put him in the game as a CB. He is absolutely terrible.

You MUST be from dabearz.com huh?

Wow. If a CB with any talent can play in the Tampa-2, then why are they in such demand?

Also, no one talked about him being the Pats #3 corner. But nice of you to make another assumption there.

Also, this is the second time you've made the claim that Wesley gets a lot of penalties without backing it up. How many penalties did he get last year? Oh, never mind. I'll look it up myself.

He had one in Arizona. A roughing the kicker penalty.
He got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during the Tampa game.
And then an offsides in the last game of the regular season in Green Bay.
Then, he had one in the play-offs where he supposedly interfered with the Punt Returner. I seem to remember this one being very questionable, but I could be mistaken.

He did muff a punt return against the Vikings, but he won't be asked to return punts by the Patriots.

So. I guess 4 penalties across 16 games could be considered a LOT.

DaBruinz, if you had to be surrounded by 3 million of these idiotic fans every day as I am here in Chicago, then you would want to run into on-coming traffic!! Give it up, he is no longer a Bear so he sucks!!! Bearse!(psyche) The knock on tghis guy from a Bears fan is: He gets a lot of penalties. Total number for the season: 4. My good god. No wonder, the sports radio in this "windy" (which, by the way is derived from the long-winded folks here in Chicago) city is more concerned with mixed martial arts, and NASCAR.

Last edited:
He's a physical corner that can jam well at the line-I'm sure we'll see more than that though.

Chad Scott is out and Wesley will be a great compliment to our D-packages.

That seems to be the plan.

Let's not forget, this guy is unlikely to replace Scott, who was a first round pick and a starter for years.

Should fill the role somewhat, though + STs.

DaBruinz, if you had to be surrounded by 3 million of these idiotic fans every day as I am here in Chicago, then you would want to run into on-coming traffic!! Give it up, he is no longer a Bear so he sucks!!! Bearse!(psyche) The knock on tghis guy from a Bears fan is: He gets a lot of penalties. Total number for the season: 4. My good god. No wonder, the sports radio in this "windy" (which, by the way is derived from the long-winded folks here in Chicago) city is more concerned with mixed martial arts, and NASCAR.

Ditka, Bearse, polish sausage

Old pre-draft bio

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/2002draft/cbs/dantewesley.htm

Dante Wesley, CB - Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Wesley by the numbers

Ht: 6'1"
Wt: 211
40-time: 4.43
20-yard dash: 2.62
10-yard dash: 1.63
20-yard shuttle: 4.22
Three-cone drill: 7.25
Vertical jump: 35"
Broad jump: 9'8"

Positives: Well-defined athlete with a lean waist and a muscular upper body frame…Has the intelligence to make quick decisions on the field…Has a keen understanding for pass routes and blocking schemes...Very effective in using his quickness to recover, showing the deep speed needed to mirror receivers through their routes.

Negatives: Seems hesitant in playing the deep ball in man coverage…Needs to show more suddenness in his movements in press coverage…Tight in his hips and tends to come out high from his backpedal, generally losing his balance when getting bounced around by blockers in tight quarters...Gets a little sloppy, stutterring with his footwork when attempting to plant and drive.

CAREER NOTES: Began his collegiate career as a walk-on receiver at Arkansas-Fayetteville…Shifted to cornerback for the Razorbacks as a redshirt freshman, then transferred to Arkansas-Pine Bluff…Tough competitor, evident during the 2000 season, as he played the entire year with a cumbersome cast to protect a broken bone in his left hand…Has started every game he has played in during his UAPB career….Recorded 98 tackles (60 solos) with 35 deflected passes and seven interceptions during his time at UAPB.

REMINDS ME OF…BOBBY TAYLOR, Philadelphia Eagles: One of the hardest hitters you will find at this position.

GAZING INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL: Outside of Jammer, Buchanan and Lito Sheppard, I don't think there is a cornerback that I'd much rather have than this guy.

PERSONAL: Sports Medicine major, possessing a 2.7 grade point average…One of two sons of Clementine Wesley…Father is Julius Marley, Jr…Born 4/05/79…Resides in Pine Bluff, Arkansas.

Let's not forget, this guy is unlikely to replace Scott, who was a first round pick and a starter for years...

A good point, which is sometimes forgotten. Wesley, OTOH, has started a total of 2 games, and wasn't as highly thought-of coming out of college.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/draft/players/99688.html, for example.

Now, perhaps BB/SP have seen something that they like, as a DB and/or STer, in Wesley, and decided that he was worth a conditional pick to bring in for a closer look-see. It also helped that the other GM was Gerry Angelo, who has had a good working relationship with BB/SP in the past.

If Wesley could replace the snaps that Chad Scott would have received, then he will definitely be worth the conditional draft pick.

Wesley looks like Chad Scott without Scott's extensive experience. As several posters have pointed out, Wesley might see some snaps on defense when the opponent has one of these monster sized Wideouts. BB is like a Master mechanic whose toolbox is filled with lots of odd tools designed for one-off situations. Wesley may fall into that category. If he made the team, I think he would be inactive unless he was needed for that one special job.

As far as ST goes, I didn't realize how mediocre-poor the Pats coverage teams were last year. I don't have the figures available but statistically at least they weren't very good. So, it's possible that he is better than the other marginal ST candidates even though Omlett Pants thinks he stinks.

It also doesn't hurt that he can backup at Safety. Remember the AFC Championship game? I think the Pats finished out the game with Rashad Baker at Safety. Scary. At least Wesley has play-off experience.

Finally, I think the other posters are right. This guy is after Artrell Hawkins job. He's bigger; he can backup at both S and CB like Hawkins; and I'll bet he's better on ST (if Hawkins actually plays ST).

Last edited:
I presume that the condition is making the team. In that case, it doecn't matter what the pick is. Let's say its a 4th (obviously very unlikely). Well, we wouldn't have him make the team unless we thought he was worth the pick. BTW, I always presume a conditional 6th. There have been many deals at that value.

Reiss says it's a conditional 7th. No info on whether the condition is making the roster (whick would be the likely assumption) or even making it onto the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back