PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears trade CB Dante Wesley to Patriots for undisclosed draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, good luck with him. BTW, he also gets a lot of penalties and hopefully won't cost you a return. The Bears think so little of him that they chose from a pool of rookies rather than keep him

What is a lot of penalties? How many did he get last year?

That is an interesting assumption on your part. That because he didn't fit into their Cover-2 scheme that they thought so little of him.

So, is it your insinuation that players who don't fit into a team scheme are thought very little of by the team?

Do you think cover corners are born? A CB with any talent can play the cover 2. Not much is required of them except basic coverage skills. The real test is playing man-to-man. This guy can't play both schemes. He is a bull in a China shop without a lot of dexterity, fluid hips or instincts. He is usually out of position. On Special Teams he gets down the field but make a lot of penalties. God forbid your starting CB goes down and you have to insert this guy

This Says NOTHING About Samuel

This means Samuel is not reporting.

This trade could have happened for a lot of reasons.
But it did not happen because the f/o received compelling news that Samuel really isn't going to sign
until Week 10.

Asante ALREADY has said that he won't report until then.
It's just that no one believes him - including me.

Locked in a negotiation impasse with the club ...
is there ANY means of signaling that "I'm Serious!"
... until Week 1 looms and he still stays out?

I cannot think of any such means,
which is why i have to think that Wesley is completely unconnected to Samuel.

I see this guy playing back-up safety. Big, not fast, likes to hit. Sounds like someone allready on the team.

My prediction for this guy is he snags 12 INT's, knocks away 20 passes, collects 80 solo tackles and 40 assists plus 15 ST tackles.

At the end of the year he'll get a "Get Paid" tattoo on his forehead and demand 100 mil. guaranteed.

Do you think cover corners are born? A CB with any talent can play the cover 2. Not much is required of them except basic coverage skills. The real test is playing man-to-man. This guy can't play both schemes. He is a bull in a China shop without a lot of dexterity, fluid hips or instincts. He is usually out of position. On Special Teams he gets down the field but make a lot of penalties. God forbid your starting CB goes down and you have to insert this guy

Wow. If a CB with any talent can play in the Tampa-2, then why are they in such demand?

Also, no one talked about him being the Pats #3 corner. But nice of you to make another assumption there.

Also, this is the second time you've made the claim that Wesley gets a lot of penalties without backing it up. How many penalties did he get last year? Oh, never mind. I'll look it up myself.

He had one in Arizona. A roughing the kicker penalty.
He got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during the Tampa game.
And then an offsides in the last game of the regular season in Green Bay.
Then, he had one in the play-offs where he supposedly interfered with the Punt Returner. I seem to remember this one being very questionable, but I could be mistaken.

He did muff a punt return against the Vikings, but he won't be asked to return punts by the Patriots.

So. I guess 4 penalties across 16 games could be considered a LOT.

You and me both. :p
Ouch! Curse it! This biting your tongue to show restraint stuff is for the birds! Blasted ale-metabolizing kitty, **grumble, mumble, whimper**! :enranged:

This means Samuel is not reporting.

Not that I think the Samuel situation truly had much to do with this deal, as it was just about CB depth following Chad Scott's injury, but if anything this takes away the leverage that Samuel had following Scott's injury.

Now that they've replaced their lost depth they are right back where they were before Scott was injured.

Does this mean Asante Samuel is not reporting?..............kidding

Yup, 4 is a lot for a guy that is rarely on the field

Its always interesting to see a person not realize just how many special teams plays there are a game. During the regular season, the Bears had 83 kick offs to opponents, 59 kick off returns against opponents, 77 punts, 50 punt returns, 12 fair catches on punts, 47 extra point attempts, 36 field goal attempts 28 extra point attempts by opponetnts and 27 field goal attempts by opponents. Those are ALL special teams plays. So, 419 plays were for special teams. Approximately 26 plays a game. While its not even half of the number of either offensive or defensive plays, most everyone who knows about football agrees that special teams play has a huge impact on the game.

Wesley was on kick coverage and punt coverage. You'd be able to tell me whether he was on any other of the teams, like kick or punt return. My guess is that he probably was on both. Now, I am going to take a slight liberty and use some averages to approximate how many plays Wesley might have been in on considering he missed 3 regular season games last year. There were 281 plays (kick&punt coverage, kick&punt returns) that he could have been in on had he played all 16 games. He played 13. So, that figures to be approximaly 228 approximate plays that Wesley could have been in on. So a penalty every 57 special teams plays that he could have participated in. Conservatively speaking.

I guess, what I am saying is that 4 sounds like a lot, and it might be. But, no one here is touting this guy as a saviour. The most anyone has said, really, is that he'll potentially be a depth player.

Its always interesting to see a person not realize just how many special teams plays there are a game. During the regular season, the Bears had 83 kick offs to opponents, 59 kick off returns against opponents, 77 punts, 50 punt returns, 12 fair catches on punts, 47 extra point attempts, 36 field goal attempts 28 extra point attempts by opponetnts and 27 field goal attempts by opponents. Those are ALL special teams plays. So, 419 plays were for special teams. Approximately 26 plays a game. While its not even half of the number of either offensive or defensive plays, most everyone who knows about football agrees that special teams play has a huge impact on the game.

Wesley was on kick coverage and punt coverage. You'd be able to tell me whether he was on any other of the teams, like kick or punt return. My guess is that he probably was on both. Now, I am going to take a slight liberty and use some averages to approximate how many plays Wesley might have been in on considering he missed 3 regular season games last year. There were 281 plays (kick&punt coverage, kick&punt returns) that he could have been in on had he played all 16 games. He played 13. So, that figures to be approximaly 228 approximate plays that Wesley could have been in on. So a penalty every 57 special teams plays that he could have participated in. Conservatively speaking.

I guess, what I am saying is that 4 sounds like a lot, and it might be. But, no one here is touting this guy as a saviour. The most anyone has said, really, is that he'll potentially be a depth player.
And there is NEVEr anything wrong with a depth player...as I said earlier. (If I were MM...I might worry though..)

Yup, 4 is a lot for a guy that is rarely on the field

Ick. All of a sudden I'm having Dexter Reid flashbacks.

As for low tackle count on defensive snaps -- that's not all bad for a CB, although if he actually did play a lot of snaps (I presume he didn't) w/o a lot of tackles it raises the question of run support.

So are you in favor of this trade or not?

Sure why not? Can't hurt us. I never said anything negative from my opinions...I just wanted to let you guys know what some Bear fans were saying since people here are quick to jump on the wagon and said "10 ST TACKLES!!!" You didn't see him get 10 tackles...it coulda been on defense.

So while you look at stats...the Windy City fans are saying "na uh..not a good ST player."

Having a dime back that has played defense in two conference championship teams, I can think of worst players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=5032&hubname=nfl-bears

You might want to bookmark this site (shorten the url, obviously). It has some scouting reports of obscure players sometimes, (not always).

And it's canadian?

Here's the book on Mr. Wesley:

Assets Very big and physical. A bump-and-run type at corner who can also play safety.

Flaws Not very fast. Doesn't turn quickly. Will get toasted if asked to cover receivers deep without help at safety.
Career potential Solid backup.

Transactions / Injuries / Suspensions
16-Mar-06: Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Chicago Bears to a two-year contract.
10-May-05: Re-signed by the Carolina Panthers.

Trades
16-Mar-06: Signed as a free agent by the Chicago Bears.
21-Apr-02: Drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the 4th round (100th overall) in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back