PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears trade CB Dante Wesley to Patriots for undisclosed draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiss says it's a conditional 7th. No info on whether the condition is making the roster (whick would be the likely assumption) or even making it onto the field.

I wish you hadn't posted that. You know how ballistic folks here go when we trade away a franchise building 7th round pick (e.g. the blizzard of Welker recrimination posts).

Last edited:
Leave it to Belichick to penetrate to the heart of the matter.

Despite good kicking and fair punting, and even good PR and KOs, the Pats ST coverage units were really below standard last year.

It was a Team weakness.

After stocking up on WRs and adjusting the RBs, they sat back to see what the coverage ST looked like. Then they lost Chad Scott.

So Bill and Scott go out and get a good ST CB/SS/ (Fifth string coverage S/LB?). Samuel's absence is restraining the use of Hobbs and Gay, both good ST players. The ST coverage teams get Mel Mitichell back, found Willie Andrews and Pierre Woods last year, will add Wesly and Merriweather, perhaps Lua, while losing Scott, probably Mays, Bam and ... the big surprise Larry Izzo.

When our ST coverage was superb, Seeley had more reserve DBs playing STs than reserve LBs. As a consequence they were a wee bit faster, at the cost of a little size.

Return with us now to the thrilling days of ... Jerod Cherry and company ! Heigh, ho Silver!

The ST coverage teams get Mel Mitichell back, found Willie Andrews and Pierre Woods last year, will add Wesly and Merriweather, perhaps Lua, while losing Scott, probably Mays, Bam and ... the big surprise Larry Izzo.

When our ST coverage was superb, Seeley had more reserve DBs playing STs than reserve LBs. As a consequence they were a wee bit faster, at the cost of a little size.

Return with us now to the thrilling days of ... Jerod Cherry and company ! Heigh, ho Silver!

I also would prefer more DBs (who must also play DB) and fewer LBs on coverage. Barring injuries, I would like to see 9 LBs, maximum, and 10 DBs, minimum, on the 53.

If we ever hope to develop our own ILBs, then Izzo's roster spot may eventually have to be sacrificed. His place on the 53 should be by no means guaranteed.

Interesting article:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1016101

Wesley is anxious to see exactly how Patriots coach Bill Belichick motivates.

“We all used to sit back and wonder what’s the secret, what he’s telling them in meetings to get those guys so fired up and happy to be here,” Wesley said. “Now I’m part of it, so I’m just trying to sit back and get it all down.”

If we ever hope to develop our own ILBs, then Izzo's roster spot may eventually have to be sacrificed. His place on the 53 should be by no means guaranteed.

Exactly what I have been thinking all along. Not that they are paying him a lot, but I would rather see a guy with lots of upside in that role then one who has at best 2 years left. But the experience he brings will definitely be a factor

Exactly what I have been thinking all along. Not that they are paying him a lot, but I would rather see a guy with lots of upside in that role then one who has at best 2 years left. But the experience he brings will definitely be a factor

I don't think anybody's spot is guaranteed...we can have faith in BB to always make the tough and best choice for the team. With that said though Izzo has done very well in camp and is a captain, so i don't see him moving on anytime too soon

Leave it to Belichick to penetrate to the heart of the matter.

Despite good kicking and fair punting, and even good PR and KOs, the Pats ST coverage units were really below standard last year.

It was a Team weakness.

After stocking up on WRs and adjusting the RBs, they sat back to see what the coverage ST looked like. Then they lost Chad Scott.

So Bill and Scott go out and get a good ST CB/SS/ (Fifth string coverage S/LB?). Samuel's absence is restraining the use of Hobbs and Gay, both good ST players. The ST coverage teams get Mel Mitichell back, found Willie Andrews and Pierre Woods last year, will add Wesly and Merriweather, perhaps Lua, while losing Scott, probably Mays, Bam and ... the big surprise Larry Izzo.

In 2006, we were 23rd in the NFL in ST yardage allowed. That stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey