BB: Saints are the best team in football

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Belichick's weekly praise the opposing team:

Belichick: 'I don't think there's any better team' - Extra Points - Boston.com
"I don’t think there’s any better team in football than the New Orleans Saints," coach Bill Belichick said.

"New Orleans I’d say is a little more balanced," Belichick said. "They’re both pretty good. But New Orleans is real good on defense and they’re real good in the kicking game. They have no weaknesses that I can see. They’re averaging, whatever it is, 40 points a game. They look pretty good to me."

With respect to Belichick, I think the biggest challenge the Pats will face was last Sunday nite. No doubt the Saints are a dangerous team and explosive on both sides of the ball...but I still don't quite think they are as elite as their record indicates, having seen them quite a bit this season. Brees is great, but he's not as deadly Manning, and we held Manning in check for 3+ quarters. If we play 60 minutes this time around, I think we'll win.

Last edited:
The Saints are definitely good, one of the top 5 teams in the league, but Belichick could make the Browns sound like contenders before playing them.

Last edited:
The Saints are definitely good, one of the top 5 teams in the league, but Belichick could make the Brown sound like contenders before playing them.

Belichick would make Mangini sound like the second coming of Vince Lombardi, and the Browns like the '67 Packers, when the fact is that the surviving members of the '67 Packers would probably beat the Browns decisively if they played right now, and Mike Lombardi could probably coach rings around Mangini.

With that said, the Saints probably are the best team in football right now, till someone knocks them off. Wonder who might be able to do that.

Here come the Colts trolls playing the respect card....:eek:

No doubt the Pats will have to put up nearly a 40 burger to win this game

I see both defenses taking the night off

Over/Under should be 65 :singing: :)

I think the Saints are better than the Colts.

I don't think the Saints will get the calls the Colts get.

If that was the Saints last Sunday night they never call that PI on Butler.

Therefore Colts + refs > Saints.

Last edited:
I think the Saints are better than the Colts.

I don't think the Saints will get the calls the Colts get.

If that was the Saints last Sunday night they never call that PI on Butler.

Therefore Colts + refs > Saints.

Maybe, maybe not.

Here is an unwanted suggestion: try acknowledging that Manning and his team played fantastic in the second half and tipping your hat to them.

You deal with the cards you are dealt with. Period. No point griping about bad/blown calls or speculating how Colts get all the calls. Just ask Joey Porter and he might give his two cents on which qb gets more favourable calls. :cool:

No doubt the Pats will have to put up nearly a 40 burger to win this game

I see both defenses taking the night off

Over/Under should be 65 :singing: :)

I actually disagree.

Buffalo held New Orleans to 27 points, St. Louis held them to 28 points, and the Jets held them to 24 (including 14 points by the defense). St. Louis and Buffalo aren't dominating defenses. In addition, Miami held them to 10 points for the 1st half and 24 through 3 quarters, Atlanta held them to 7 points in the 2nd half, and Carolina held them to 6 points for the first half. Again, none of those teams are dominating defenses.

Take nothing away from New Orleans - they are formidable, have a lot of weapons on offense, and a big play defense. But they have also been prone to turnovers and mistakes. In the last 5 games the NO defense has forced 10 turnovers, but their offense has given up the ball 13 times. In NE's past 5 games the offense has lost the ball 6 times, and the defense has forced 16 turnovers.

In addition, the Pats defense should be more battle tested than the Saints. The Saints are 17th in defense in terms of YPG allowed, 14th in PPG, and 15th in passing yardage, despite not yet having faced an offense ranked higher than 11th in YPG (Philadelphia) or 6th in PPG (NY Giants), or 8th in passing (Giants). They've never faced an offense like the Pats, who are ranked 2nd in YPG, 3rd in points, and 2nd in passing yardage. The Pats defense ranks 6th in YPG allowed, 2nd in PPG and 6th in passing defense despite having faced Indy (3rd in YPG, 4th in PPG and 1st in passing yardage). Baltimore was ranked near the top in all 3 categories when we played them week 4. And the past 2 weeks the Pats' D has had to face the toped ranking passing offense in the NFL (Indy) and the toped ranked rushing offense in the NFL (Jets). I think our secondary's experience against Peyton Manning will be the best possible preparation for Drew Brees.

Again, it won't be easy, and if we have defensive lapses or revert to BBDB then we will get shredded. But if we play aggressive, physical and focused then I think we can hold NO to 20-25 points, while scoring in the 30's. We put up 34 on Indy's top ranked defense (in terms of PPG) and 31 against the Jets (while missing numerous opportunities against both). I have a hard time seeing NO holding the Pats to below 30 points.

My prediction: Pats 38, NO 24 (with the Pats' defense giving up 2 TDs and a FG, and NO getting 7 points from their defense;

Belichick clearly trying to make the Saints defense think they're better than they are. That doesn't take much. Patriots scoring under 35 would shock me. Saints are nowhere near the Colts, Pats, Vikings.

Pats need to win this game to prove to themselves that they can beat good teams on the road.

They are currently 1-3 on the road!

The aftermath: Goodbye Jets, hello Saints

Here's a good article to chew on, I'm sure it's probably been posted but I couldn't find it. I can understand having swagger and confidence, but most Pats fans I know IRL think they are going to roll over the Saints. I hate to say it, but if the Jets had a competant quarterback right now you might have another L in the loss column.

from the article:

The one stat to live in mortal fear of? Second-half scoring. It’s been pretty well-established this season that the Patriots are a mess after the break. Even in Sunday’s breezy win over the Jets, New England managed just one touchdown in the final two quarters and New York closed the gap to 10 and had the ball in the third before Mark Sanchez did his thing and ruined their chances.

That’s a show we all saw against the Jets the first time around, at Denver, at Indy and even in the Miami and Baltimore wins. In fact, if you take out the Titans, Bucs and Bills games, the Patriots have been outscored in the second half this season 72-61.

The Saints are outrageous after the break. They’ve outscored opponents 188-79. In the fourth quarter, they’ve outscored opponents by 81 points (105-24).

We own the second halves of games, while the Pats seem to fade. It's going to be a big problem for ya'll.

Good luck, and I just hope BOTH teams don't have any injuries, Lord knows the Saints don't need anymore!

If the Patriots are going to win this, both teams will be putting up over 30 points in a shoot out, much like the Colts game.

FWIW, I think the Vikings are the best team in football this season. Favre is arguably having his best season to date and has impressed the hell out of me how he is managing the offense with some gun young receivers in Rice and Harvin. Having Peterson and Taylor in the backfield helps, but I believe they can go all the way this season.

We own the second halves of games, while the Pats seem to fade. It's going to be a big problem for ya'll.

If that form holds, you're certainly right, it could be an enormous problem for the Pats. Saints have lived on 2nd half comebacks much of this season, and the Pats have been outscored in the 2nd half against Baltimore (14-10), Denver (13-0), and Indy (21-10). The Pats have only scored 94 of their 290 points (33%) after the half.

Belichick's weekly praise the opposing team:

Belichick: 'I don't think there's any better team' - Extra Points - Boston.com

With respect to Belichick, I think the biggest challenge the Pats will face was last Sunday nite. No doubt the Saints are a dangerous team and explosive on both sides of the ball...but I still don't quite think they are as elite as their record indicates, having seen them quite a bit this season. Brees is great, but he's not as deadly Manning, and we held Manning in check for 3+ quarters. If we play 60 minutes this time around, I think we'll win.

Oh come on! This is a classic Belichicean head game. And it's a twofer at that.

Not only does he get the Saints thinking they'd better live up to the billing but he tells the Colts he doesn't think they're the best show in town.

We do agree on one thing, though. The Pats will win this game.

I think that the Saints are the best team in football as of now. They havent been dominant but neither have the Colts. The Saints have a solid running game, obviously Brees is a top 5 QB and have quality receivers and their defense isnt too bad either. This is going to be a tough game, in a hostile environment on MNF. This is our last time to prove to the nation that we can beat a quality opponent. Our schedule gets conciderably easier after this week. This is a huge statement game for the Pats and BB will preach this all week. I would treat it like a playoff game, it will definitely have a playoff like atmostphere.

If the Patriots win this game it will be close and high scoring. But I think they will then drop a game (Miami or Houston come to mind). If they lose to N.O., then they will be determined to win out the rest of the way.

If the Patriots win this game it will be close and high scoring. But I think they will then drop a game (Miami or Houston come to mind). If they lose to N.O., then they will be determined to win out the rest of the way.

Why would you think if they win then they will drop a game? I dont get the reasoning...they will be determined to win the rest of their games win or lose this week

I think that the Saints are the best team in football as of now. They havent been dominant but neither have the Colts. The Saints have a solid running game, obviously Brees is a top 5 QB and have quality receivers and their defense isnt too bad either. This is going to be a tough game, in a hostile environment on MNF. This is our last time to prove to the nation that we can beat a quality opponent. Our schedule gets conciderably easier after this week. This is a huge statement game for the Pats and BB will preach this all week. I would treat it like a playoff game, it will definitely have a playoff like atmostphere.

The saints have one win by less than 8 points so I really don't get the not dominant comment.

All this talk about the vikings (not you but other posters) is bs. If you want to talk about a team that has lived on the edge it is them.

The saints have one win by less than 8 points so I really don't get the not dominant comment.

All this talk about the vikings (not you but other posters) is bs. If you want to talk about a team that has lived on the edge it is them.
Are your feelings hurt that people may just think that the Vikings are better than the Saints? Awwwww diddums.

The not dominating part comes from games such as the Rams and Dolphins. The Rams are probably one of the top 3 worst teams in football and you only beat them by 5 points, and the Dolphins completely dominated you in the 1st half. You had a great 2nd half to come back and beat them. Its not like you have been winning games by 20+ points, thats why I say you havent been dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes