PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on the record: “good energy level moving forward”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than being 40+ and the obvious that comes with that when has Brady contemplated retirement?
I never said he was contemplating retirement. Nor do I believe he is. I was commenting on the narrative being pushed by members of the media.

I wish that Bill & MP had a chance to sit down and talk and work some things out. Then again, after seeing what Bill gave him to work with, I don't blame MP for wanting to get the hell away from here.

MP just signed himself a Freeny ;)

I believe there's nobody MP would rather work for/with than BB . except himself.
Id guess MP & BB are much closer in evaluation of players than you and BB..

Let's add two takeaways from BB's presser today:

- they will try Patterson as punt returner in camps as well
- the value of the Draft is diminished somewhat by less practice time allowed to develop rookies

- the value of the Draft is diminished somewhat by less practice time allowed to develop rookiest

Yep and BB is on record as saying the pass-happy college game has stunted the development of OL prospects.

- the value of the Draft is diminished somewhat by less practice time allowed to develop rookies
I think tbis was very insightful out of BB.
Which shows why he values proven players over picks and why he had no issues trading for Cooks and the players he did.
Its not easy to depend on a rookie as a plug and play due to decelopment.
I wouldnt be surprised to see us trade up for less picks.
Only player you really draft knowing you are giving them all the time to develop is a QB.

NFL-class-photo-2018.jpeg

:p:cool::D

To me, the BB and Kraft public appearances certainly left the impression that:
  1. Something sure as hell was going on this past year, and it's still not a fixed situation
  2. Kraft thinks BB screwed the pooch with Butler, but isn't going to go too far and cut him off at the knees over it
  3. Bill was either told to make nice, or chose to make nice, in order to remove some of the flammables from the fire

I agree with you on #2. I am not sure what you mean on #3, especially the "flammables from the fire".

We’re involved in a number of businesses in our family – we’re in 95 countries in the world – and we try to encourage to have good managers and we want them to be bold, we want them to take risks. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don’t,” Kraft said of the decision to bench Butler, via ESPN’s Mike Reiss. “I have faith in Bill as a coach that I don’t think there is anyone who has the football knowledge and expertise combined with understanding personnel – no one can merge those two worlds [like him]. He’s done pretty well for us over the last 18 years. So, as a fan, I can question some of the moves. As someone who is privileged to be owner of this team, I encourage him to keep going with his instincts and doing what he thinks is right. There is no doubt in my mind, even if he made an error – and this is true with any of our managers – that if they’re doing it for the right reason, then I support it 100 percent. I’ve never had one instance in the 18 years where Bill hasn’t done what he believes is in the best interest of our team to help us win games.”

My take is he's supporting BB, and Kraft knows enough of the situation, so that the risk Bill took was not a fire-able offense. It was a nice, fluffed up way to say "My guy knows his chit, took a risk, and it didn't pan out. It doesn't bury our business, we are moving forward."

I agree with you on #2. I am not sure what you mean on #3, especially the "flammables from the fire".

Brady
Butler
Gronk
JAG compensation
2017-2018 locker room issues in general

Same stuff we've all been discussing for a while, some of which were at least faux-addressed in the two public appearances

My take is he's supporting BB, and Kraft knows enough of the situation, so that the risk Bill took was not a fire-able offense. It was a nice, fluffed up way to say "My guy knows his chit, took a risk, and it didn't pan out. It doesn't bury our business, we are moving forward."

1. When you assume that every time someone says they did something "For the good of X", they really did it for the good of X, you make a faulty assumption. Kraft's smart enough to know that, which is how we know that his response was just meant to be a way to end the conversation without actually divulging any information worth hearing.
  2. When you call something an error, you're not necessarily talking about a failed risk. You might actually be talking about an error. It's not a failed risk to bench Butler because of matchup issues with the Eagles (just to given an example of one of the theories thrown out there), and to keep him on the bench when you're getting slaughtered on the field. That's just a stupid mistake. Even if you credit it as a bold and daring gamble at the start, it leaves "risk" and "gamble", and becomes "Why the hell is he still on the bench? That's a mistake!" when you've already given up 22 points at halftime, and still don't bring him into the game.

A team can choose to understand the current situation and recognize that some players need time to develop, and draft accordingly.

Less practice time does make draftees less valuable. However, that doesn't mean that teams can't draft expecting contributions in future years instead of the current one.

Only player you really draft knowing you are giving them all the time to develop is a QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes