PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barwin: positives and negatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
The resemblance is scary!

Barwin needs to put on a few pounds of muscle.

Does the signing of TBC provide enough depth at OLB that we do not need to draft one?
Need? Perhaps not, but with the various players in this draft class I'd love to see a couple.

News - Barwin surfaces at backer - Cincinnati Bengals
But head coach Marvin Lewis felt even then Barwin's interests were on defense and the combine agreed when it assigned him to work with the D-line. Barwin agreed, too.

"I'm lying if I didn't say I really found a passion for playing defense and just being on an attack mode," Barwin said. "It was a lot of fun playing defensive end this year. I really enjoyed it."

The Bengals will no doubt get a good look at him during the defensive linemen workout because a group of them breaks off for an outside backer drill devised by Bengals linebackers coach Jeff FitzGerald. At 6-3 and 256 pounds, Barwin fits the specs and he thinks he could have played it in college.

UC is going to be playing the 3-4 now that defensive coordinator Joe Tracy got canned by Kelly after the signing date even though defense was the major reason the Bearcats got to the Orange Bowl.

"It's a big surprise; no one knew about it," Barwin said. "I think Coach Kelly wants to run a 3-4. When I was there, they felt it would have been better if they used Angelo Craig in a 3-4 more often. I think they've got the athletes now to play a 3-4. I think he sees what NFL teams are doing. Coach Kelly likes to do everything like the NFL. That's how he runs it."
Interesting, U of Cincinnati is planning to switch to the 3-4. And here's an Angelo Craig reference.

Does Craig have a break out year of sorts now that he has had a year in the system????
I liked Craig for NE last draft, I was all :woohoo: when they signed him to the Practice Squad. I thought of him as a kid who might be worth trying at ILB - I'll be interested to see how he gets used in mini-camps. I've also been thinking about Robertson and his record against the run, I'm wondering if he wasn't someone BB thought might develop as a run stuffer inside? I'll be content to see a couple kids in preseason who look like they understand their assignments and will get better with practice. The same goes for Crable, Redd, and Ruud - though Redd finished strong last season.

Great find and enjoyable read thanks.

Great find and enjoyable read thanks.

Enjoyable, but far from reliable -- the writer must have been on too short a deadline to check any facts. E.g.:

"As a pro, you’d have to start out with what he can do for your offense. He did start there - He was a three-year starter at tight end and was awarded with First All-Big East status for his hard work."

:wha:

NOBODY is drafting him for offense. He was a ONE-year starter at tight end, earning most of his accolades on special teams. He was voted All-Conference on defense as a senior, not as a tight end.

I know it's not a "serious news outlet," but that's really bad.

I liked Craig for NE last draft, I was all :woohoo: when they signed him to the Practice Squad. I thought of him as a kid who might be worth trying at ILB - I'll be interested to see how he gets used in mini-camps. I've also been thinking about Robertson and his record against the run, I'm wondering if he wasn't someone BB thought might develop as a run stuffer inside? I'll be content to see a couple kids in preseason who look like they understand their assignments and will get better with practice. The same goes for Crable, Redd, and Ruud - though Redd finished strong last season.

I thought Redd finished last season injured?

Enjoyable, but far from reliable -- the writer must have been on too short a deadline to check any facts. E.g.:

"As a pro, you’d have to start out with what he can do for your offense. He did start there - He was a three-year starter at tight end and was awarded with First All-Big East status for his hard work."

:wha:

NOBODY is drafting him for offense. He was a ONE-year starter at tight end, earning most of his accolades on special teams. He was voted All-Conference on defense as a senior, not as a tight end.

I know it's not a "serious news outlet," but that's really bad.

"A perfect example of a black Irish gentleman, with a face that needs to be shaved no less than twice a day and an Irishman’s easy laugh, Conner Barwin was born to play football. It just took him a while to find that out."

Now this was the quote that spoke to me the most as I am a good Irishman:D:D

It's interesting to read that Denver has their NT.

Connor Barwin ftw. Versatility, intelligence, athleticism, and high motor. He's got it all. Draft him BB! :D

Last edited:
I believe that Barwin is being a bit overhyped. Remember-not alot of greatness out of Cincinatti the past few years. Mike Wright a solid role player. Angelo Craig on our practice team at olb. I am not saying he is a bad player. He has impressed many folks that know more than I do.I just think the value factor has to come into play with him. He can be brought about slowly as an olb. Goal line te. A bit early to think he can be Mike Vrabel at the next level. Not worthy of a round one selection. Round 2-3-depth-with a chance to develop-Yes.

I believe that Barwin is being a bit overhyped. Remember-not alot of greatness out of Cincinatti the past few years. Mike Wright a solid role player. Angelo Craig on our practice team at olb. I am not saying he is a bad player. He has impressed many folks that know more than I do.I just think the value factor has to come into play with him. He can be brought about slowly as an olb. Goal line te. A bit early to think he can be Mike Vrabel at the next level. Not worthy of a round one selection. Round 2-3-depth-with a chance to develop-Yes.
What are your feelings on Maualuga and Laurinaitis hype?

The top OLB'S:

1. Aaron Curry- Probable #1 pick in the draft.

2. Brian Orakpo-Rated high and still climbing. A top 7 pick.

3. Everett Brown- Top 14 pick-

4. Brian Cushing- Top 25

5. Clay Mathews- Top 28-Safe

6. Larry English- Top 35- Dwight Freeney?

7. Clint Sintim- Top 40

8. Michael Johnson- top40- Stock will rise again

9. Connor Barwin- Top 60

10. Marcus Freeman- Top 60

*Take your Pick.

The top OLB'S:

4. Brian Cushing- Top 25

7. Clint Sintim- Top 40

9. Connor Barwin- Top 60

*Take your Pick.

After 3. speculation insues. At this point Barwin is 3rd round talent. Does that mean someone won't take him in the second round, no. One just has to wonder what the eye in the sky says. Heck for some teams that might not even matter.

The top OLB'S:

4. Brian Cushing- Top 25

7. Clint Sintim- Top 40

9. Connor Barwin- Top 60

*Take your Pick.

I like Barwin better than Cushing, Matthews, and English. So that means he's above the #25 pick on that chart and worth a late 1st rounder.
I can see Cushing going early to some other team because of the hype he receives from playing at USC, but athletically he's worse than Barwin, and I am still wary of the rumors about his 'supplement' use.
I've got Matthews rated higher than Cushing.

Last edited:
After 3. speculation insues. At this point Barwin is 3rd round talent. Does that mean someone won't take him in the second round, no. One just has to wonder what the eye in the sky says. Heck for some teams that might not even matter.

Lets just remember that Lofa Tatupu was a 4th round talent at this point. Yet The Seahawks took him in the 2nd round and have never looked back. Barwin has more talent and athleticism as Tatupu and they have the same love for the game.

Barwin is more than 3rd round talent, btw. He's solid 2nd round talent.

Lets just remember that Lofa Tatupu was a 4th round talent at this point. Yet The Seahawks took him in the 2nd round and have never looked back. Barwin has more talent and athleticism as Tatupu and they have the same love for the game.

Barwin is more than 3rd round talent, btw. He's solid 2nd round talent.

Oh, he's gonna go in round 2. For me he's still a project, and I guess I would rather get a guy like that a round later. TB was a HOF talent and he was taken in the 6th round , thou shall not covet.

Oh, he's gonna go in round 2. For me he's still a project, and I guess I would rather get a guy like that a round later. TB was a HOF talent and he was taken in the 6th round , thou shall not covet.

Brady wasn't HOF talent coming out of College. He was good talent and he found a great venue to refine his talents under great coaching. If Brady had been drafted by any other team, more than likely, he wouldn't be as good as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News