Welcome to PatsFans.com

Barwin: positives and negatives

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by ctpatsfan77, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +322 / 5 / -5

First, positives:

And the negative:

Oh, BTW--the Pats didn't do too badly with another criminal justice major from Cincinnati. :)
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 8 / -1

#11 Jersey

...who was also an incredible physical specimen. Interesting stuff, thanks! Barwin is exactly the sort I'd pick for a private visit/workout, the more you can learn, the better.
  3. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +414 / 0 / -2

Positives:

- versatility - had played multiple positions; can play DE, probably 3-4 OLB, possibly 3-4 SILB, and TE
    - athleticism
    - high upside
    - intelligence - both in the classroom and on the field; has been able to make quick position change with success
    - character
    - high motor
    - team player

Negatives:

- no experience playing LB in 3-4
    - only 1 year experience on defense; still refining technique

I wasn't aware of his partial deafness, though it doesn't seem to be an issue on the field.

An interesting read: Senior Bowl: Versatility the selling point for Cincinnati's Barwin - USATODAY.com
  4. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +322 / 5 / -5

As Box noted, though, the fact that he's still refining his technique means he has fewer bad habits to unlearn. And, given how quickly he picked up DE, he might well be able to pick up OLB pretty quickly, too.
  5. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +414 / 0 / -2

I thought it was interesting in the USAToday article that he said that the most exciting option to him would be 3-4 OLB because it would be a new challenge. He seems like the kind of kid who thrives on that.
  6. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 8 / -1

#11 Jersey

Also a solid rebounder with some shot-blocking skills, but not much of a shooter. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +322 / 5 / -5

True, but . . .

Seriously, the more I read about Barwin, the more he sounds like a prototypical Patriot.
  8. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We know he's athletic; we know he can adapt. What we don't know is how long it will take him to contribute to a 3-4 defense at OLB.

That remains the biggest reason to avoid taking him too early: the unknown. If he's still available by NE's second Round 2 pick, then I say go right ahead. Any earlier than that and it might be too big a chance.

His combine (esp. bench press) will help determine where he goes, at least in my mind. And that's what BB and Floyd want to know: my opinion. :rolleyes:
  9. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +591 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

I'd be much more concerned about him playing OLB than how much he can bench press. What's our success rate been with fast/strong athletes with less production, undefined positions as opposed to productive football players that weren't outstanding in track/gym measurables?

I would say not very good.
  10. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +414 / 0 / -2

That may be, but Barwin has been extremely productive at DE: 46 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks, 6 pass break-ups, 4 QB hurries and 3 blocked punts/kicks.

I don't care what he bench presses. I don't really care how he works out at the combine, except that if he posts fantastic numbers other teams may be more likely to jump on him early. What impresses me about him is his versatility and his character. Those are amazing numbers for a first year DE with no prior background at the position.

Here's another link to some info on Barwin:

Connor Barwin, 2009 NFL Draft Prospect
  11. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +216 / 19 / -10

As Belichick has said players making a position switch are less certain others. He doesn't gamble in Round One.

That is why he drafts DE-->OLBs later, and not in the first round. Barwin would make a fine pick with any of our 2nd and 3rd round picks. :D

But as the general who is always prepares for the LAST war, and onestep late, how do you know that the OLB position is not already rebuilt,and merely waiitng the players on-hand to bloom? Woods, Crabel, Redd and others to go with Vrabel, AD, and maybe a healthy Rosey, could be a pretty stocked position.;):D
  12. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +414 / 0 / -2

I wasn't aware that anyone was suggesting Barwin in the 1st at this point. Much as I like him, I'd have to see more before going that far. But I like him in the 2nd round.

It's possible that the OLB position is already rebuilt, but it doesn't seem likely. Woods showed competence but no flashes of brilliance last year. Redd is still raw. And Crable didn't get enough playing time to show us much for certain. Also, I personally think that Barwin could move inside and make a great SILB, so I still think he may have value.
  13. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +591 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

Actually, our DE-OLB switches have been the fourth overall pick (McGinest) 3rd rounder OLB>ILB Bruschi (by Parcells) and two trained by other teams #rd Vrabel, 4th Colvin.

Of our starters in the BB era, none has been drafted at DE by us. We've drafted few LBs and none who have stuck until Mayo.

Woods and TBC are the closest. Despite the fact Woods played some OLB, I'd count him if he was a solid starter which he's yet to prove.

The low round Patriots defensive end draftee who becomes a solid OLB starter is a creature of myth.
  14. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +286 / 18 / -43

#50 Jersey

Vrabel wasn't an OLB for the Steelers. He was a DE and they were running a 4-3 at the time, not a 3-4. Vrabel didn't move to 3-4 OLB until he got to the Patriots. And that was in 2002. After spending a year at the starting RDE. Colvin was trained to be a 4-3 OLB. So the switch was a bit easier.

But lets not forget that Bruschi actually went from DE to 4-3 OLB to 3-4 ILB. And, according to him, it took him 3 years to fully grasp his job as a 3-4 ILB.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  15. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

The question in my mind is can Barwin beat out Woods (unlikely) or Redd (more likely) on ST??

If he can then BB is afforded the luxury of developing Barwin and maybe using him a bit as a goal line TE, while NFL calibre players are manning the OLB starter spots.

At this point I see Barwin as more potential than ability. But BB once drafted Bethel Johnson in the second round based ebntirely on speed with very little production to backup using that high a draft pick.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  16. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

News - Vrabel variable - Cincinnati Bengals
  17. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

barwin can still be an impact while learning the OLB position......
  18. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Zactly.

19. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

20. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

DB.....I dont believe this is true......the last time the steelers played 4-3, jack lambert was in the middle
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.