PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Baldinger: BB's style of defense wont win c'ships

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Baldinger on D&H: 'The fear factor is gone'

although i strongly disagree because he thinks bb's scheme is too simple but it isnt ,just lacks those good past players ....but iam sure a lot here will agree to this theory.

"I don't believe that you can sit there in your zone defenses with your strict and straight 3-4 defense."

That's nice to know

"I don't second-guess Bill Belichick's coaching or his track record, I just see a shift in this league in how you disrupt these passing games right now. The three teams that I mentioned that I think are the best in football, they all do a great job of disrupting the timing of the passing game, and I think that's how you have to win right now."

Interestingly Footballoutsiders do not have the Jets ranked very highly in Pass defense, but they are 3rd in Run defense. They have Ravens middle-pack in both pass and run defense.

The biggest 'problem' with the Patriots defense right now is inexperience, but each week they get a little more of that experience.

Based just on the text, you and he don't disagree much.

Nor should you. In BB's scheme, the pass rush comes from a lot of different sources:

• Some comes from guys classically beating their blockers
  • Other comes from guys having open lanes, in part because other guys commanded double teams
  • It comes from lots of different positions
Some of that stuff he isn't even trying, surely in consideration of the personnel he has available.

Blah, blah, blah, people say this every year.

BB's defense has won him five championships. I think he knows what he's doing.

According to Reiss, the Pats have been in a sub- defense 58% of the time. That could mean either a 3 or 4 man front with a mix of anywhere between 5-6 DBs. and 2-4 LBs.

Those types of alignments would indicate that BB agrees with Baldy.

Why did you post an article from 2000?

Exactly.

And this time he is going to eat his words.

As I have said elsewhere, Miami was a benchmark win for the D. It was their best game to date. For the most part, everyone was on the same page, doing their jobs, remembering their alignments, AOR, and covering their zones.

Now with the bye coming up right after such a big victory, I view it as the right time for BB to take the D to the next level, and install a whole new level of complexity, e.g., disguise, interchangeable assignments, and pre-snap decoys.

It's the perfect time- they're confident, and they're finally buying into the coaching.

And it pretty much is a given that they have to do this anyway, because Pees is the DC for Baltimore and he will most certainly clue them in on our basic defensive tendencies. Now is the time to disguise them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few zones suddenly elapse into man coverage.

Credit the guy for having an opinion and sticking to his guns. I think the problem is the players and not the scheme, the Steelers, Jets and (not quite so much) Ravens have much better defense players than we do.

Good reminder.

It's the sub/nickel/dime defense that's been the problem.

The base defense causes 3rd-and-longs. The sub defense lets them convert.

Well, red zone hasn't been great either ...

Only for a freak catch in 2007 there would be 4 championships in the last 10 years. I haven't even read the article because that heading sounds just too delusional to even bother.

Exactly.

And this time he is going to eat his words.

As I have said elsewhere, Miami was a benchmark win for the D. It was their best game to date. For the most part, everyone was on the same page, doing their jobs, remembering their alignments, AOR, and covering their zones.

Now with the bye coming up right after such a big victory, I view it as the right time for BB to take the D to the next level, and install a whole new level of complexity, e.g., disguise, interchangeable assignments, and pre-snap decoys.

It's the perfect time- they're confident, and they're finally buying into the coaching.

And it pretty much is a given that they have to do this anyway, because Pees is the DC for Baltimore and he will most certainly clue them in on our basic defensive tendencies. Now is the time to disguise them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few zones suddenly elapse into man coverage.

I like the way you think.

Scoring early will help as well, as it will force the Ravens to be more one dimensional on offense.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but I just heard that San Diego has given up 6 touchdowns on special teams. Sounds like they are right in our wheelhouse!

I like it when people think BB's a step behind, like the game has passed him by, that usually means he's two steps ahead of everyone esle and they dont know it yet.

Baldinger is a notorious Jets homer, like me!

If Baldinger thinks the Pats play 3-4 with zone coverage all the time, then no wonder why he thinks that style of defense won't work. The Pats play in nickel and dime packages more than they play the 3-4.

I know Dale Arnold has to ball wash his guests, but I find the AFC Playbook horrible. They consistently have some of the worst analysts in broadcasting. Not surprisingly since most of them are ESPN rejects.

This is why I tend to completely disregard most of thet things Baldinger says.

Personally I don't think Baldinger is off the mark in some parts of his assessment. The game has changed a lot since the Superbowl wins. The changes in the rules and the interpretation of them, plus as a whole WRs are bigger stronger and faster than in the past. All that makes it much harder to play straight zone defenses, and requires defenses to become more aggressive in response.

Where I think Baldinger is off the mark, is his opinion that BB hasn't adjusted to the times. Maybe not to the degree that we are now copying the Jets and Steelers, but to think he isn't disguising his D's or letting them go more than in the past isn't factual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents