PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Balanced article on RH by SManza@projo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too question the definition of "balanced". One of our top players cheated so it's OK. Is that what we expect from our best beat reporter?

Isn't the bottom line that Harrison cheated himself, his team and his fans?

Sure, we should support Harrison! Sure we want him back in October! However, I would suggest that he no more excuse for his behavior than a top player from another team. Somehow had the offender been Bob Sanders, I think our position and that of the writer would have been very different.

I guess I just don't get where it says "well, he's one of our top players, so it's OK."

The article places his use in context. It offers the reasons why players do this, that is all. But it clearly states it's illegal and he'll suffer the consequences, even noting that all his accomplishments to date will be questioned and he'll have to live with that.

Just because someone says "I get why he did this" does NOT mean they are saying, "so it must be OK!"

Shalize wrote an article expressing her opinion. It was eloquent and heartfelt. I share her opinion of Rodney Harrison, although I've never had the pleasure of meeting him. What Rodney did was wrong, and Shalize makes that clear. But he is the first pro athlete suspended for PE drugs to ever admit his sin, caution young people not to follow his example, ask for forgiveness, and apologize fully. This indicates that once Rodney serves his allotted punishment, he deserves the chance for a degree of redemption. Those Pats fans who would deny him that opportunity are not really "fans" as I define that word. To be a fan of a team is like being a member of an extended family. If a child of yours errs, what do you seek from him/her in the future? The past cannot be undone. Do you abandon them, or hope that they face their sin, show sincere contrition, seek forgiveness and amend their ways? Strangers will close the iron door on a prodigal son, but the family should offer him an opportunity for redemption. To deny that opportunity to Rodney means you were never really a member of the family to begin with; you were just a stranger invited in for a meal a few times during the holiday season.

Last edited:
And the patriots will suffer the consequences. The article is all about understanding Rodney, and little about his leeting down his team. But I am indeed nitpicking, the writer is the best we have.

I guess I just don't get where it says "well, he's one of our top players, so it's OK."

The article places his use in context. It offers the reasons why players do this, that is all. But it clearly states it's illegal and he'll suffer the consequences, even noting that all his accomplishments to date will be questioned and he'll have to live with that.

Just because someone says "I get why he did this" does NOT mean they are saying, "so it must be OK!"

The Bengals are just going to remove all the black and white from the unis and stick with bright orange.
PFnV

PFnV, I've enjoyed many of your posts for some time, but this one line is just brilliant!:D Thanks for giving me a smile to end my day!

What Rodney did was wrong by NFL rules, rules that he knew about, and rules that he violated. He's paying a high price for that. He forfeiting 1/4 of his game checks, which amounts to around $500,000. He is also now risking a years suspension should some banned substance happen to get into his urine sample.

But, what he took was NOT STEROIDS. It was not PERFORMANCE ENHANCING. People should get off their high horse about this. He's paying the price, not you.

I've learned though all this that there is a difference between performance enhancing (Merriman) and non-performance enhancing (Rodney). Hopefully other have learned this and will not paint both with the same brush, as I did in the past.

What does "balanced" mean? That she doesn't scold RH for cheating like that dimwit Shaughnessy (DS) from the Globe? Hardly a compliment.

The poster seems to imply that a writer giving RH some quarter for his behavior has a more "balanced" view than others repeating the simple fact - Rodney cheated. I want no part of it if that's what balanced means.

Rodney screwed his teammates, the fans, and the organization by being so arrogant to believe his reason for taking HGH was different, and thus more legit, than cheaters like Merriman and Bonds. That's the bottom line.

Do I feel for Rodney as a person? yes, we are all capable of mistakes. And while I appreciate RH admitting to his failure (unlike the new home run 'king'), Rodney needed to get caught red-handed to do so.

I can hardly imagine what a super stud like Rodney felt when he saw his body begin to betray him. But his response, while human, amounts to cheating, no matter how you slice it. RH doesn't need anyone in media to try and 'balance' the coverage of his minor crime.
the only reason rodney even admitted it is because the government caught him red handed, and shared those findings with the nfl

if rodney isn't caught he keeps on doing it, he doesn't care about any of his fans.

there was nothing noble with his apology, it's basically michael vick's apology

their only embarrassed and apologetic cause they got caught.

I too question the definition of "balanced". One of our top players cheated so it's OK. Is that what we expect from our best beat reporter?

Isn't the bottom line that Harrison cheated himself, his team and his fans?

Sure, we should support Harrison! Sure we want him back in October! However, I would suggest that he no more excuse for his behavior than a top player from another team. Somehow had the offender been Bob Sanders, I think our position and that of the writer would have been very different.
exactly, if this was sanders and an indy writer, he'd already be hung in efigy , that is just the truth. Hell pats fans would already be blaming indy's sb win and their appearance IN the sb on it...this is just the truth.

when it's one of yours, a faction of a fan base will defend it, the same thing happened with michael vick.

The team is also paying the price. You seem to agree with many that such issues are a personal matter for the player. This simply isn't true. The TEAM (and its fans) count on Harrison for his play, and his leadership. Now, we have a suspended player, who might get suspended again at any time, and you think it is a personal matter? I suspect that we will carry an extra safety all year, as "Harrison insurance". I would like to ahve Hawkins back on the squad.

What Rodney did was wrong by NFL rules, rules that he knew about, and rules that he violated. He's paying a high price for that. He forfeiting 1/4 of his game checks, which amounts to around $500,000. He is also now risking a years suspension should some banned substance happen to get into his urine sample.

But, what he took was NOT STEROIDS. It was not PERFORMANCE ENHANCING. People should get off their high horse about this. He's paying the price, not you.

I've learned though all this that there is a difference between performance enhancing (Merriman) and non-performance enhancing (Rodney). Hopefully other have learned this and will not paint both with the same brush, as I did in the past.

another difference is, merriman passed tests cleanly before the positive and after, whereas rodney was caught red handed, there wasn't even a question of his guilt, it's 100%.

goodell actually thought enough about merriman's possible innocence that he released his negative 19 of 20 testing history.

And the patriots will suffer the consequences. The article is all about understanding Rodney, and little about his leeting down his team. But I am indeed nitpicking, the writer is the best we have.

mgteich - point well taken about letting his team down. despite Troy and Richard Seymour being on the PUP, those absences seem manageable thanks to the depth the Pats have at those positions. maybe Rodney's importance can be illustrated like this: since his arrival in Foxboro, New England is 44-7 with Rodney on the field, and 15-9 without him...

and if you keep saying i'm the best writer on the beat, i'll be asking for your address to send checks!! :D

smy

Wilson may not be ready. The team may have given Samuel a no-franchise in 2008 because of Harrison. I'm certainly glad they did. Is Samuel really ready to start? Is Meriweather? Harrison has seriously compromised this team by his vluntary actions.

mgteich - point well taken about letting his team down. despite Troy and Richard Seymour being on the PUP, those absences seem manageable thanks to the depth the Pats have at those positions. maybe Rodney's importance can be illustrated like this: since his arrival in Foxboro, New England is 44-7 with Rodney on the field, and 15-9 without him...

and if you keep saying i'm the best writer on the beat, i'll be asking for your address to send checks!! :D

smy

The team is also paying the price. You seem to agree with many that such issues are a personal matter for the player. This simply isn't true. The TEAM (and its fans) count on Harrison for his play, and his leadership. Now, we have a suspended player, who might get suspended again at any time, and you think it is a personal matter? I suspect that we will carry an extra safety all year, as "Harrison insurance". I would like to ahve Hawkins back on the squad.

That is very true and it would be great to have Rodney out there. We may even lose a game because of that. I have not over looked that at all. i was just making a point about performance enhancement and non-performance enhancement drugs.

another difference is, merriman passed tests cleanly before the positive and after, whereas rodney was caught red handed, there wasn't even a question of his guilt, it's 100%.

goodell actually thought enough about merriman's possible innocence that he released his negative 19 of 20 testing history.

he was not caught "red handed". His name was on a list of people who bought the drug on the internet from a company under a FED investigation. He could have stonewalled and denied though the entire season.

Get your facts straight.

jcdavey - this is a criticism i've heard about my column/blog post a couple of times in the past couple of days, and my own husband was among them.

I am not excusing Rodney. He used HGH, which under NFL rules is illegal. Do I personally think it should be? Not if it is used under doctor's supervision to heal injuries/surgeries incurred as a result of playing football. But as of right now, it is against league rules, he admitted to doing it, and he is paying his penance for what he did.

Do I know Rodney the person better than I know Luis Castillo? Of course. If Luis Castillo had injuries similar to Rodney's and took HGH to help heal from them, would I be as forgiving? Probably. It is impossible for the majority of fans to understand just what these men are doing to their bodies, and most fans don't care -- they just want big hits (have you ever watched "Jacked Up" on espn??) by big players when they sit down on Sunday with a beer and some wings.

I obviously have no idea how old you are or what you do for work, but let's say for argument's sake that your boss was starting to question your performance at your $75k/year job. Some young kid a year out of college is hot on your heels, and he makes $20k/year less than you. But if you smoke pot a few times a month -- something that by most studies isn't harmful for you but is illegal -- you'll perform better at your job. Do you do it??

smy

First of all, it's very cool of you to enter into the dialogue out here. Thank you.

Your comparison with the "$75k/year" person who uses pot and the "young kid" at $20k less is, however, specious.

I'm not telling you anything you don't already know when I say that, in pro sports (amateur as well), there is a direct, objective and verifiable link between performance-enhancing substances and, well, performance. The link has usually been proven over time by multiple sources. The intent of any policy in their regard is to assure a more or less level playing field. Many of the "forbidden" substances are indeed legal when properly obtained and used, just banned by a league or association because of their known impact.

The connection between smoking a joint and doing a better job is a matter of opinion that can only be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, not of science (BTW, it is an opinion with which I might agree in individual cases). There could also be a conjectured connection between getting a good night's sleep and improved job performance or between having a satisfactory sex life and job performance or between working out on a regular basis and job performance...while I acknowledge that these latter activities are "legal," the point is that there are many activities that "might" impact performance without having been "proven" to impact performance.

You would have posed a better question if you had asked whether the $75k/year person might legitimately gain a competitive advantage by somehow snooping on the work of the "young kid," in a manner forbidden by company policy (for example by obtaining access to the report that s/he was about to present in a way that society at large would not consider illegal, but which is directly contrary to written company policy and sanctioned by the company).

Then, the comparison works. Is it OK to break the rules of an organization to protect your own job or interests if you are doing something that isn't technically illegal? I think not, but I am sure there are many, perhaps yourself, who might disagree with me.

Again, thanks for entering into this interesting and timely discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back