PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN's new "article" on Pats cheating, by former Panthers GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need a sticky at the top of this board identifying reliable and trustworthy Patriots news sources. Or at least knowledgeable reporters we can tolerate. Folks like Chris Price, Matt Chatham, Jermaine Wiggins, Holley, Gresh, Zolak, Bedard, Bruce Allen, etc. The list isn't long, but I'm to the point now where I'm afraid to turn on the television or click links for fear of flying into a rage against all the biased ******** out there.

Mr. Richardson did the right thing.

If he did, it would be the first time.

Looks like someone molded a human shape out of an unguent containing racist e-mail forwards, Greek yogurt and hatred, although he may also be Mumbles from **** Tracy. Richardson got $87.5 million in public money (and may get $50 million more) for renovations to a then 17-year-old stadium financed with $50 million in public land and relocation fees. A true no-nonsense ethicist, he didn't lift a finger about Greg Hardy's domestic abuse until well after Ray Rice's beating of his fiancée in an elevator ruined the optics for every other give-no-**** NFL owner. Richardson was also a hardliner over locking out both the players and the referees for their out-of-control salaries despite pocketing millions in profit the preceding two seasons. He also reportedly once sneeringly responded to Peyton Manning's concerns about concussions with, "What do you know about player safety?" Later, heading into the 2011 lockout, he harnessed every wealthy Tea Party victim stereotype by saying that it was time for the owners to "take back our league." As a former NFL player, that makes him both a hypocrite and a vampire.

From http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...5/jerry-richardson-carolina-panthers-20141125

This is an opportunity for every guy who has had their careers minimized by the Pat's success against them to find an excuse...and potentially hope someone now gives them a second look in hindsight. Others...just sour grapes. Character is important...which if you notice....most of the cry babies are failures or footnotes.

I would very much love to see some scorched earth tactics come from the Patriots. Kraft probably won't because he is business savvy, but I would love to see him let his irrational a**hole side out and basically tell the NFL that if they don't drop ESPN they can kiss their 50billion dollar game goodbye and play I love Lucy reruns because his team is done with the ********.

Would it be lose-lose? Probably, but as long as the other guy loses its worth it.

I'm not really one for trashing people who come out with an opinion on this. Anybody could be right with what we know now. However, I'm wondering how anyone gave Marty Hurney a job at doing anything after he completely tanked the Panthers cap situation. He was fired 3 years ago, and the Panthers won't be recovered from his missteps until 2016 at the earliest. He is arguably the NFL GM equivalent to Duane Starks as an NFL cornerback.

I want to thank ike Reiss for excerpting this article so I didn't have to click:

Hurney, now the host of a weekday radio talk show on Charlotte's ESPN 730 AM and an ESPN NFL Insider, shared those questions on Thursday regarding Carolina's 32-29 loss to the Patriots on Feb. 1, 2004.

"There isn't a day that goes by since [then] that I haven't questioned ... that there were some things done that might have been beyond the rules that may have given them a three-point advantage,'' Hurney said during his radio show.

"And I can't prove anything, and that's why I'm very angry. And the anger has come back over the last couple of days that commissioner Roger Goodell decided to shred all of the evidence after 'Spygate,' because I think there were a lot of things in there that would bring closure to a lot of people.''

Another sore loser. Guys like this — and many in the media — are getting a whole lot of mileage about their unsubstantiated suspicions and paranoia about the Patriots. It's McCarthyism all over, really.

Edit: 10,001 posts; woo hoo!

Last edited:
I'm not reading that article, but this guy is bringing this up 10 years later? Not back in 2005. Not in 2007, when the sideline taping story broke. Not in 2008, when the false Rams Walkthough rumor started. He's kept his mouth shut all that time, but he decides to talk now. That helps his credibility :rolleyes:

The reason why losing teams keep losing. Instead of trying to figure out how you as a GM and a team could extract another 3 points out of your offense or be prevented on defence, they fixate on whether or not some supposed deflated balls could have garnered the opposing team 3 points.

every team in the NFL has all kinds of crap up their sleeves.....it's been that way since before I was born

who cares........in our society, the majority of people lie, cheat, or steal in one regard or another.

gaining a competitive advantage even if outside the limits set by rules is something we humans have done since the beginning of time.

the typical media guy throws any poop they can find against the wall

for the love of god they cheated
it doesn't matter if there's no proof.....they cheated 7 years ago
I'm not wrong........it is my opinion

I'm not really one for trashing people who come out with an opinion on this. Anybody could be right with what we know now. However, I'm wondering how anyone gave Marty Hurney a job at doing anything after he completely tanked the Panthers cap situation. He was fired 3 years ago, and the Panthers won't be recovered from his missteps until 2016 at the earliest. He is arguably the NFL GM equivalent to Duane Starks as an NFL cornerback.

No, it's fine to have an opinion. It's not fine to actually post an article as a wannabe-news organization that doesn't actually fact check, use any type of critical analysis, point out obvious and extreme flaws, and just put it up there for clicks and not integrity. Examples, there actually no reports of the Patriots taping the practice in Houston, Matt Walsh did not simply go to Hawaii- there happened to be a huge congressional investigation that exonerated the Pats, there is zero evidence or allegations that the Patriots did anything wrong in the SB but the Panthers were caught taking PEDs (which is put into the article to be swept under the rug and minimized), and although the tapes of Spygate were "destroyed" they were also looped at a press conference for everyone to see. This was almost as bad the SI article posted the other day which was filled with more half-baked "facts" that have actually been DISPCREDITED, which also included the whiny, discredited allegation that Belichick "cheated" by using an illegal formation, even though the formation was not illegal. Hey, don't let actual facts, rules, or events get in the way of your journalism, ESPN and SI. Both organizations will never make it into my home or television again. I am truly done with them forever.

I just go to ESPN.com to check general headlines and transactions. That's about it. Although now I may just go to the individual league sites from now on.

This is an opportunity for every guy who has had their careers minimized by the Pat's success against them to find an excuse...and potentially hope someone now gives them a second look in hindsight. Others...just sour grapes. Character is important...which if you notice....most of the cry babies are failures or footnotes.

#Pileongate

Christopher Price @cpriceNFL · 2h2 hours ago
Marty Hurney needs to clean up his own front lawn before he goes knocking on his neighbors door. #2003 http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2563563…

Marty Hurney was the GM of a team where steroid use was apparently so rampant that it alarmed Congress. #glasshouses http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-08-30-steroids-panthers-waxman_x.htm…
"Panthers General Manager Marty Hurney has said the team is cooperating with a federal subpoena..." http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10951-2005Mar29.html?nav=rss_sports/features/crime…

Pats v the world. Nothing new
I was thinking the other day that we might be the new Oakland Raiders. Forget about Oakland's recent ineptness, but during their heyday they had continuous battles with the NFL commissioner. Al Davis could care less about fines or what the NFL thought (sound familiar).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes