PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bad off season moves were evident today

Status
Not open for further replies.
hallfamebrady said:
Let me first by saying I am as big a Pats fan as they come. I know posters often get ripped for venturing into negative areas. I am glad they pulled out the win. Keep in mind Buffalo is awful and this performance will not cut it against even .500 level teams

The Pats struggles today were a result of bad decisions during the off season. There were Pats players on the field today in certain positions (WR and LB) that have no business starting in a NFL game. I understand why they let go Willie, Givens, and Adam V (Adam stunk two of the three last seasons. I do not think we lost much). There were plenty of players available that would have better filled these loses.

The fact they have a boat load of money under the cap is even more baffling. The Pats have always spent up to the cap while maintaining fiscal sanity. They could have brought in many serviceable players without killing the cap. Although Seau played well, we could have got a ILB with much more in the tank. TBC, Caldwell, and Brown are not NFL starters.

The Pats also screwed up the Deion situation. This could have been resolved without being full blown war. They should have considered giving him a one time bump in salary like they did with Seymour last year.

Your argument is really quite flawed. The Pats have had far worse games over the last few years than yesterday's opener. Brady wasn't at his best and there were some protection problems but overall the running game and the defense played well. It being the first game of the season, there is plenty of time to improve. Also, how you can judge personnel changes from one game is beyond me. I think most of the additions the Patriots brought in performed rather well yesterday. As far as your comparison of the Seymour situation to the Branch situation, you are way off base. There is absolutely no comparison. Branch is a very good player, but Seymour may be the best in the league at his position and is the anchor of the Patriots front seven. Do not even try to compare the two.

mgteich said:
Banta-Cain is in his 4th year, his contract year. He is not Pierre Woods. I indicated that I didn't think his best role was a starter. Do you prefer him to Seau when Bruschi is back?

I see where you are going with this, however I don't think it is fair, as Vrabel would replace TBC at OLB as he would move back outside from the inside leaving Seau to man the ILB position.

Vrabel is head and shoulders better than TBC at OLB and Seau at ILB. However I think Vrabel at OLB is the better way to go as it gets him in the position where he can create the most havoc. Its more about where Vrabel is best suited to play than where TBC is best suited to play, and IMHO that is @ OLB which then displaces TBC.

So, if Branch was playing yesterday do you think the score and/or struggles would have been the same?

I appreciate your passion for the team, people, but my Lord, someone makes a critical point and most of you are all of him/her. In my opinion, some of these points are valid. The team, currently, has some significant flaws.

Garbanza said:
So, if Branch was playing yesterday do you think the score and/or struggles would have been the same?

I appreciate your passion for the team, people, but my Lord, someone makes a critical point and most of you are all of him/her. In my opinion, some of these points are valid. The team, currently, has some significant flaws.

the significant flaw yesterday wasn't the WR's it was pass protection........and up until yesterday the OL was considered one of the strengths of the team. So remind me again how Branch makes a difference on the OL pass protecting Brady?

look at the Colts who are pretty much everyone's odds on favorite to win it all this season.....no run D and no running game......talk about significant flaws.

Last edited:
hallfamebrady said:
Let me first by saying I am as big a Pats fan as they come. I know posters often get ripped for venturing into negative areas. I am glad they pulled out the win. Keep in mind Buffalo is awful and this performance will not cut it against even .500 level teams.
Sometimes they get ripped for good reason. Sometimes not.

hallfamebrady said:
There were Pats players on the field today in certain positions (WR and LB) that have no business starting in a NFL game.
Whew! You really think so?

hallfamebrady said:
The Pats also screwed up the Deion situation. This could have been resolved without being full blown war. They should have considered giving him a one time bump in salary like they did with Seymour last year.
They did.

hallfamebrady said:
Read my posts and you will see I am a die hard.

There were many players they could have signed / traded for in the off season that would have made sense.

Wpuld you have liked to seen any of these guys at WR:
Eric Moulds
Javon Walker
Ashlee Lelie
Dante Stallworth

Adding Deion would be a plus but they are still thin at receiver. Letting try to find a deal only to find he has market value clearly back fired.

LB: signing a LaVar Arrington would have made a lot of sense. TBC does not cut it. Our LB group will be signing up for AARP soon.

HFB,

You may be a die hard fan but it doesn't mean you prognoses are worth much. The only WR of that bunch, I would even consider is Eric Moulds. And he is a moody aging vet who objected to any other WR in Buffalo getting "his" receptions. If the Pats went after him, you'd be b1tching about opening a "Old Age Home" for him and Troy, as he is actually older than Troy Brown.

The others are all failures and busts or head cases.

Lavar Arrington is NOT starting for the Washington Redskins. Enough said.

In short your entire thesis is a total crock.

You wouldn't recognize good LB play if it rose up and bit you in the derrier, I fear. TBC had three pressures and the Bills rushers did not run wide successfully. So both Rosey and TBC set the edge pretty well. Missed interior tackling by their ILBs and safeties, let the Bills gain what yardage they did. Ninety Nine YPG over a season would put the rush D in the top five !

I'd love to know who you think made the Defensive play of the game, if it wasn't TBC. Losman credited his pressure and the need to dodge it, that prevented him throwing it away. IMO, TBC wouldn't have gone for (and missed), the strip-sack, if he hadn't seen Warren was there too. Going for a fumble and recovery in the end zone is better than a safety 7 to 2.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
Banta-Cain is in his 4th year, his contract year. He is not Pierre Woods. I indicated that I didn't think his best role was a starter. Do you prefer him to Seau when Bruschi is back?

You bet I do.

Seau can't play every snap, he is a spot rotation player at most, or he'll wear down and show his age. TBC had the most critical play of the game. He had first pressure on Losman in the end zone, among his three QB hurries.

Losman credited him with the play, that turned the game, why won't you? ;)

TBC got better as the game progressed just like the rest of the team. I watched him a lot and thought he set the edge and provided pass rush. Seymour was getting pushed out of the hole in the first half, nobody complains about him and when he decided to play it was look out here comes big ****.

There they go again, Belichick and Pioli, not perfect. What's the matter with those guys, they should be 100% right on everything.

Personally, I think we are going to be all right. Better than all right, I think we are going to be real good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe