PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Average Running Game, Average WR's...What Do You Expect From Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll get no flack from me, I think Kool-Aid is for losers, even if it's Kool-Aid for my team/players.

Brady's mechanics are off, he uses way too much arm and he doesn't step into his throws like he used to, I don't think he trusts his left knee. And lately he's also been melting down and blaming everyone else when things go wrong, I expect that from Manning but the Brady of old would never do that, he would have been the first one to accept blame and the first oe to put in extra time practicing so that mistake wouldn't happen again.

While I'm at it I also thought BB made a mistake by challenging when McCoy got that rushing TD.

I didn't get to see any post- game pressers. Did I miss something??

The 2006 wide receivers were much better than the 2010 wide receivers Gaffney is head and shoulders above anything the Patriots are putting out there right now, and he wasn't even that team's #1 WR.*

*Not meant as a knock on Welker, who's trying to come back from the ACL injury.

I don't see how you can make that comparison. For example, even considering that Welker is rehabbing, I don't think that Gaffney is/was "head and shoulders" above him. On top of that, I don't think that Gaffney alone is good enough to put an otherwise putrid group of '06 receivers above the 2010 unit currently being fielded.

In the entire 2006 season, Brown had a whole 384 yards receiving. Since the best comparison to him this season would be Welker, Wes has already seen 319 yards receiving. And he still has eight more games left to play. On top of that, Welker is seeing a lot more attention/double coverage this year than Troy Brown was in 2006. Rehabbing Welker > Troy Brown.

In 2006, Gaffney had 116 yards receiving the entire year. Since he was playing split-end, we'll compare him to Branch. This season, so far, Deion Branch has hauled in 270 yards worth of passes. As a Patriot, Branch has hauled in 158 yards worth of passes. In three games, Branch has surpassed Gaffney's total for the entire season. But since we know what Gaffney did down the road in the playoffs that year, I'll give you Gaffney over Branch. Although the gap between the two is not nearly as wide as you're making it out to be.

In '06, Caldwell was our leading receiver with 762 yards. Can you name me a worse flanker that Brady has had to work with in his career? And before you say Tate, that might not be a fair comparison. Like I said, Tate certainly hasn't lived up to preseason promise, but if we're using the "rehabbing" excuse for Welker, it should be applied to Tate as well. On top of that, Tate is realistically in his rookie season here and there's certainly room to improve.

What about tight ends? In 2006, Graham hauled in 235 yards worth of passes while Watson pulled in 643. Not bad considering Watson, a tight end, was legitimately the only threat that we had to go deep that year (another negative mark on the receiving corps as a whole). Eight weeks through their rookie seasons, Gronkowski and Hernandez as a duo have already hauled in 489 yards in passes. That's not even considering their output today. As rookies, Gronkowski and Hernandez are poised to surpass Graham's and Watson's 2006 production, and that's considering the fact that neither one of these guys are the team's #1 deep threat the way Watson was for the 2006 team. Hernandez and Gronkowski > Watson and Graham. Now, blocking might be another story there. Graham was an excellent blocker and is better than Gronkowski is at this point. However, the argument isn't about blocking.

You'll get no flack from me, I think Kool-Aid is for losers, even if it's Kool-Aid for my team/players.

Brady's mechanics are off, he uses way too much arm and he doesn't step into his throws like he used to, I don't think he trusts his left knee. And lately he's also been melting down and blaming everyone else when things go wrong, I expect that from Manning but the Brady of old would never do that, he would have been the first one to accept blame and the first oe to put in extra time practicing so that mistake wouldn't happen again.

While I'm at it I also thought BB made a mistake by challenging when McCoy got that rushing TD.

"It is Week 9 and we've got a lot of work ahead. I don't think that we are a finished product right now. We have to do things better in all areas, including the quarterback."

He's blaming Brian Hoyer for the loss!!!

Welker has been basically mediocre since Randy left.They double team him because no one else can make big plays.

exept for Hernandez, Branch and Woodhead.

I don't see how you can make that comparison. For example, even considering that Welker is rehabbing, I don't think that Gaffney is/was "head and shoulders" above him. On top of that, I don't think that Gaffney alone is good enough to put an otherwise putrid group of '06 receivers above the 2010 unit currently being fielded.

If you don't concede the Gaffney point, there's really nothing more to discuss. That point is beyond question, IMO, so we're clearly not going to see the same things here.

Hell... Gabriel, who got cut, had 25 catches for 344 yards in 12 games (5 starts) and a 13.8 average. How much worse is that than what Tate's produced to this point, really?

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious that without Moss, Welker will be what he was in Miami; a guy who catches 3-5 balls a game and moves the chains once in awhile. Long gone are the days of him catching 12 balls for 140. This game was a joke today. No one, save maybe Woodhead, came to play. Mayo looked awful everywhere - getting run over and run by. I just hope they get their sh#t together and play well in Pittsburgh...ouch...

Here's an unrelated question - the Patriots do not play back to back home games this season, yet they play back to back road games. I wonder if any other team this season plays no back to back home games...NFL (Polian) trying to f#ck the Pats somehow???? I bet Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, NYJ, Baltimore, etc., have "homestands" at some point...Oh well, hopefully the Celtics can restore some pride to Boston sports fans tonight after Rask blowing the shootout last night and the Pats mailing it in today....

If you don't concede the Gaffney point, there's really nothing more to discuss. This is beyond question, IMO, so we're clearly not going to see the same things here.

Hell... Gabriel, who got cut, had 25 catches for 344 yards in 12 games (5 starts) and a 13.8 average. How much worse is that than what Tate's produced to this point, really?

Actually, I did concede the Gaffney point. I just don't see how he puts 2006's otherwise bad receiving corps over the 2010 version. After all, the team thought enough of the 2006 receiving corps to completely overhaul it the following year. As for Gabriel, Tate (even if he keeps going on this path and sees absolutely zero improvement) is poised to surpass what Gabriel did with less receptions.

Like I said, Deus, you're not going to get an argument out of me that Tate has been doing what has been expected of him since the preseason. He definitely hasn't. But he's really a rookie with all of the physical and a lot of room to improve upon. I think that, when you consider everything, the 2006 team had a worse receiving corps than the 2010 team does. The '06 team, however, was a lot stronger in other areas than this team is which helped them.

"What Do You Expect From Brady"?

How about not throwing the ball to the receiver's feet?

Agreed. I know he had a pretty brutal game, I also know he made some throws that should have been caught, but he's missed the mark quite a bit this season. He's overthrown receivers, thrown to their feet, and completely missed the mark many times. He's been like that all season with or without Moss, and it hasn't been mentioned because we've been winning, but when you lose to the Browns and get outplayed by a rookie QB, it's glaring.

I don't know why it's been like this, but they just haven't really been the same since the Bills game.

As for the running game this season, the age of the Patriots running backs this year who were not traded prior to the start of the season:

Kevin Faulk - 34 years old
Fred Taylor - 34 years old
Sammy Morris - 33 years old
BenJarvus Green-Ellis - 25 years old

It's time to upgrade the Patriots running back corps via the NFL Draft.

"It is Week 9 and we've got a lot of work ahead. I don't think that we are a finished product right now. We have to do things better in all areas, including the quarterback."

He's blaming Brian Hoyer for the loss!!!

:rofl: Hoyer did throw a pick so it's clear Brady's blaming him for the loss.

As for all the haters, Brady has a crappy game or two every year, including our Super Bowl years. Manning and Brees also have bad games each year. It happens. Time to prepare for Pittsburgh.

I didn't get to see any post- game pressers. Did I miss something??

No, but look at his behavior on the field over the course of the season: him slamming his hand against the ground after Haloti Nata tackled him, look at him call his O-line a 'bunch of fat cows' during training camp.

If we put Brady is a different uniform and you looked purely at Brady's play so you didnt have any association of his previous seasons would you think he's a HoF QB or would you think he's an ok to good QB?

Ultimately I don't think he's right in the head and that's affecting everything else.

Ultimately I don't think he's right in the head and that's affecting everything else.
Or the receivers are not running the correct routes? Deion Branch is currently playing with a pulled hamstring. Edelman is all but invisible in the passing game this year. In essence, Brandon Tate is a rookie wide receiver in the New England Patriots offense this year. How about a lack of a running game against the Cleveland Browns?

That has a lot to do with his footwork.

It's probably due to his injury, but his throws have become flat-footed and all arm and no legs.

I'm probably the only one that has noticed this.

SI noticed it too and you should also notice how when he has the room he does drive his legs into the throws.;)

What is this pulled hamstring talk regarding Branch. Branch is just not nice. Yes he pulled a hamstring but how long would we use that as an excuse. If he isn't good enough to play he won't be on the field. What we are seeing is just who Branch is. An ok player.

Actually, I did concede the Gaffney point. I just don't see how he puts 2006's otherwise bad receiving corps over the 2010 version. After all, the team thought enough of the 2006 receiving corps to completely overhaul it the following year. As for Gabriel, Tate (even if he keeps going on this path and sees absolutely zero improvement) is poised to surpass what Gabriel did with less receptions.

Like I said, Deus, you're not going to get an argument out of me that Tate has been doing what has been expected of him since the preseason. He definitely hasn't. But he's really a rookie with all of the physical and a lot of room to improve upon. I think that, when you consider everything, the 2006 team had a worse receiving corps than the 2010 team does. The '06 team, however, was a lot stronger in other areas than this team is which helped them.

Come on, man. I love you (In a "fellow poster who likes your input" sort of way) and all, but

For example, even considering that Welker is rehabbing, I don't think that Gaffney is/was "head and shoulders" above him.

Isn't conceding the Gaffney point.

As for my point about Gabriel, I'm saying that a guy who was so bad that they cut him was producing in a way that isn't all that far off from what Tate's been doing.

But, really, we're just arguing about color patterns on the Titanic. I think we can both agree that, due to a combination of injury/talent/experience/other, these wideouts just aren't good right now.

Last edited:
Come on, man. I love you (In a "fellow poster who likes your input" sort of way) and all, but

Isn't conceding the Gaffney point.

You're looking at the wrong part...

But since we know what Gaffney did down the road in the playoffs that year, I'll give you Gaffney over Branch.

Aside from stating that I don't think that Gaffney was "head and shoulders" above, I don't like comparing Welker to Gaffney. One is a slot receiver and the other was playing split-end. So I compared Gaffney's output to Branch's and admitted that there was an advantage there.

As for the rest of your post, fair enough.

Didn't we win 3 Superbowls with Average WR's

Yes...but back then we had TWO of the best coordinators in the game!!!,.branch, givens,.and patten worked a lot after practices and offseason from all reports.....we also had a kicka## defense that took pressure off O....as u may recall we didn't exactly ring up tons of points during SB years....because we didn't NEED to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News