PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Average Running Game, Average WR's...What Do You Expect From Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told people even back in '07 that Welker gets a TON of help from Randy and wouldn't be anywhere near as effective without him drawing double+ teams. When they traded Randy, I knew this offense would struggle and teams could game plan against the underneath stuff. I saw this coming from a mile away. The ONLY way to get this offense working again is if Tate steps up and becomes a legit #1 deepthreat, but we have seen nothing yet to suggest he can do that.

IF Brady simply puts his throws where they should be we keep drives going and this is a different game, is it all Brady's fault? Of course not, there were dropped passes that should have been caught but Brady must take some of the blame.

As for Moss, he's almost exclusively a deep threat and throwing the deep pass is the weakest part of Brady's game.

That was a long time ago and before Tommy lost his ACL

San Diego has a running game

Saying things authoritatively does not make them so. They're 28th in the league rushing yds/game. Pats are 23rd.

I would not say that Moss made Welker, but a legit deep threat LIKE Moss makes it a lot easier for him. He used to be the lesser of 2 evils for defenses, now he's the biggest evil for defenses to focus on. I know people were all giddy that this offense was suddenly some magical offense that would always just win, but that was never the case. They need the defense to give them enough chances to claw their way. Brady will NOT make many mistakes, but it's tough to score with a mediocre running back, no deep threat and dare I say an average OC. It's that much harder when your talent on offense is so young and they have as many drops as they've been having.

WOW
You finally admit the limitations of our crack Offensive coaching staff?
Hokey Smokes!!!!!!!

Brady has played with far less and has gotten better results. He just had a putrid game today along with the defense and a couple of rookie mistakes. The comparisons to the dynasty teams that were picking up steam never should have never began in the first place. Now, hopefully, they stop.

Brady was mediocre but not putrid. Brady had a QB rating of 90.5 today with a couple of TDs and no picks. His completion % was low at 52%, but he had a bunch of drops too. Many plays nobody was open. The line created few hoels for runners, and our best RB is a 5'7"guy undrafted FA. The worst running backs Brady has ever had, IMO. His best receiver is a rookie TE, and he has no deep threat. The offensive coaching is uninspired.

Brady was mediocre but not putrid. Brady had a QB rating of 90.5 today with a couple of TDs and no picks. His completion % was low at 52%, but he had a bunch of drops too. Many plays nobody was open. The line created few hoels for runners, and our best RB is a 5'7"guy undrafted FA. The worst running backs Brady has ever had, IMO. His best receiver is a rookie TE, and he has no deep threat. The offensive coaching is uninspired.

You would think that the 2nd-half, Patriots would adjust. Nope. D-line was totally lost on stopping PeytonH. Safeties were bad stopping the middle passes. Brady looked confused on many throws (under throw, over throw). Running plays had little gain. OC/DC were not prepared.

Brady has played with far less and has gotten better results. He just had a putrid game today along with the defense and a couple of rookie mistakes. The comparisons to the dynasty teams that were picking up steam never should have never began in the first place. Now, hopefully, they stop.

This is the worst RB group (I won't count Taylor since he's not in the mix right now) in the Patriots Super Bowl era. The receivers are Tate, a clearly rehabbing Welker and an injured Branch. Gronkowski still hasn't arrived in Cleveland, and Hernandez was dropping passes and running bad routes.

When has Brady played with less?

"What Do You Expect From Brady"?

How about not throwing the ball to the receiver's feet?
agreed... some throws were just awful, others were because of WR's mistakes
Ok Im not saying trade him or that he sucks ...he had a bad game... but this season alone I've seen too many of those "un-Brady" like throws... you just dont see that kind of performance from a future hall of famer QB.

ok now.. the footie-pajama, thumb-sucking fans.. have at it and tell me what a moron I am for criticizing TB

wait I am not done yet...
the defense sucked...offense was waaay to predictable.

Brady isn't the same player he was in in the Super Bowl years. He has more important things on his mind like little Ben and the house he is building in LA. There just isn't that drive and intensity anymore in his game.

I expect him to play like an elite QB, move the chains, lead the team on scoring drives, make plays when they need to be made, and grind out first downs when the team has a lead late. In short I expect the guy who played the 2nd half last week. I expect him to play better than today but he was far from the problem today.

I don't expect the ridiculous numbers of 2007 or even last year or the first few games of this year. The talent around him just isn't there. The RBs are castoffs. The TEs are good but young rookies and have played like it at times. There is no threat at WR that scares anyone. Welker wasn't the same post-injury, pre-Moss deal and he isn't producing anything since the trade. Branch looks like the guy Seatlle wanted to dump. Tate's only real contribution on offense was last week's broken play. Edelman is a non-factor.

I know he's coming off the knee injury and don't want to minimize that, but I'm starting to believe in the "Moss made Welker" theory.

Wait, you really thought that Welker was that good?

Philip Rivers doesn't seem to be having much of an issue.

This is the worst RB group (I won't count Taylor since he's not in the mix right now) in the Patriots Super Bowl era. The receivers are Tate, a clearly rehabbing Welker and an injured Branch. Gronkowski still hasn't arrived in Cleveland, and Hernandez was dropping passes and running bad routes.

When has Brady played with less?

How about Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell? I won't try to make an argument that that Tate has played up to expectation, because he hasn't. But Hernandez, Edelman, and Welker I would take before an aged Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, and Gaffney.

The running back corps are pretty bad though. Can't disagree with that.

He has a deep threat. For some reasons, that deep threat can't seem to get open unless it's a broken play. There are two reasons for this: the first is that he isn't running good routes, and the second is that he isn't getting any separation. Considering Tate's speed, I have a hard time believing that he isn't getting separation, so I'll have to go with the former.

How about Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell? I won't try to make an argument that that Tate has played up to expectation, because he hasn't. But Hernandez, Edelman, and Welker I would take before an aged Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, and Gaffney.

The running back corps are pretty bad though. Can't disagree with that.

The 2006 wide receivers were much better than the 2010 wide receivers as currently constituted. Gaffney is head and shoulders above anything the Patriots are putting out there right now, and he wasn't even that team's #1 WR*. This is what happens when you get rid of your WR1 in mid-season, and replace him with an oft-injured WR3/WR4.

*Not meant as a knock on Welker, who's trying to come back from the ACL injury.

Last edited:
Welker has been basically mediocre since Randy left.They double team him because no one else can make big plays.

The Moss-Factor rearing it's ugly head, going to be real tough the rest of the way with safties cheating up into the box, things might get real ugly, real quick with Pitt and Indy coming up the next 2 weeks. 6-4 two weeks from now is a real possibility.

Everyone thought Brandon Tate could step and take some of the heat away from Moss moving on, he's too damn small and he just isn't getting open and that drop he had over the middle was inexusable, I mean if you if can only get open a couple of times a game, you better make sure you catch a pass in your numbers.

What we can expect though I believe, is that the highest-paid player in the NFL should atleast hit open WRs, which he stuggled with today, throwing the ball out of bounds, throwing the ball at people's feet, the accuracy flat-out was not there. You never see Manning missing WRs like that and I would expect Tom to make these throws.

Ok I'll bite
In spite of the lousy Offensive playcalling
And the mediocre talent
And the dropped passes
And no running game
When he has time and open recievers I expect him to not toss it into the turf
I expect him to stand tall in traffic and finish the play
I expect him to know the play clock and execute the call.
Just me though

Last edited:
agreed... some throws were just awful, others were because of WR's mistakes
Ok Im not saying trade him or that he sucks ...he had a bad game... but this season alone I've seen too many of those "un-Brady" like throws... you just dont see that kind of performance from a future hall of famer QB.

ok now.. the footie-pajama, thumb-sucking fans.. have at it and tell me what a moron I am for criticizing TB

wait I am not done yet...
the defense sucked...offense was waaay to predictable.

You'll get no flack from me, I think Kool-Aid is for losers, even if it's Kool-Aid for my team/players.

Brady's mechanics are off, he uses way too much arm and he doesn't step into his throws like he used to, I don't think he trusts his left knee. And lately he's also been melting down and blaming everyone else when things go wrong, I expect that from Manning but the Brady of old would never do that, he would have been the first one to accept blame and the first oe to put in extra time practicing so that mistake wouldn't happen again.

While I'm at it I also thought BB made a mistake by challenging when McCoy got that rushing TD.

Woodhead seems like a special talent. One of the few that came to play today.

Does anyone else want Woodhead starting against the Steelers? He seems like he gets 5 yards each run. hell he was even breaking tackles at his small size.

BJGE looked like he was sleeping out there....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back