PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Average Running Game, Average WR's...What Do You Expect From Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you may want to take a mulligan on asking me that. How's he been doing lately?

From what I've been seeing, Welker hasn't really been pulling a whole lot of single coverage since the Moss trade. Not only has he been drawing the opposition's best corner, that corner is also getting safety help the vast majority of the time. So, for the time being, it appears that our opponents disagree with your analysis.

0-2 VS the Ryan, brothers it has noting to do with the RB's and WR's Brady, can't handle the blitz up the middle and the Ryans know this,

Mankins, will be back it will get better, the pats are still tied for the best record in the NFL

please, learn how ,to use, commas correctly, when ,trying, to type.

Thank, you.

How about Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell? I won't try to make an argument that that Tate has played up to expectation, because he hasn't. But Hernandez, Edelman, and Welker I would take before an aged Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, and Gaffney.

The running back corps are pretty bad though. Can't disagree with that.

Gaffney would be arguably our best or 2nd best receiver today. Some of these guys are playing poorly, the offensive line is weak, and Brady has made some off throws.

I think with 14 TDs and 4 INT he is playing good, he could be that much better with a few second half adjustments, but he has started the first half well.

From what I've been seeing, Welker hasn't really been pulling a whole lot of single coverage since the Moss trade. Not only has he been drawing the opposition's best corner, that corner is also getting safety help the vast majority of the time. So, for the time being, it appears that our opponents disagree with your analysis.

Agreed! So if that's the case shouldn't O'Brien be manipulating the defenses by moving Wes (and his double team) around thus unclogging other areas of the field?? Unlike alligator arms Moss, Welker is a threat to catch the ball anywhere on the field and his coverage needs to follow him all over the field. Shouldn't the Patriots be designing pass plays which can exploit that double team?? Why not line up Wes out wide on the same side with a speed burner like Tate. Or have Wes and a giant like Gronk in the same area. You can't tell me you're not creating major traffic jams for the D and opening up some nice open space by drawing all that coverage to one area. The Patriots needs to start exploiting the attention these D's are throwing at Wes. I don' know what is going on with Julian Edelman but he can be a real key going forward.

#1 receiver
----------
2006 - Caldwell who had 762 yards as you indicated
2010 - a rehabbing Welker

Tight End
-----------
After all, they are the next best receiver option now and in 2006. Are Hernadez, Grankowski and Crumpler producing better than Watson, Graham and Thomas? The totals are close.

Downfield Threat
----------------
As YOU pointed out, at least we had a downfield threat in 2006. We had Ben Watson (and Caldwell for that matter).

Receptions From The Rest
-------------------------
You are correct the other receivers in 2006 (Brown, Gaffney and Jackson) will likely not be as productive as Branch, Tate, and Edelman this year.

HOWEVER, the running backs in 2006 more than made up for this projected difference in production. The 2010 running backs haven't been very prodctive as receivers.
======================

BOTTOM LINE
I disagree with Deus. The 2006 receivers are not clearly better than the 2010 group. However, when all factors are considered, absent some improvement, the passing game in 2006 was better than its counterpart in 2010. HOWEVER, arguments can be made either way.

Unfortunately, I find it very, very sad that the 2010 passing game is comparable to 2006 rather than 2007 or 2009.

I don't see how you can make that comparison. For example, even considering that Welker is rehabbing, I don't think that Gaffney is/was "head and shoulders" above him. On top of that, I don't think that Gaffney alone is good enough to put an otherwise putrid group of '06 receivers above the 2010 unit currently being fielded.

In the entire 2006 season, Brown had a whole 384 yards receiving. Since the best comparison to him this season would be Welker, Wes has already seen 319 yards receiving. And he still has eight more games left to play. On top of that, Welker is seeing a lot more attention/double coverage this year than Troy Brown was in 2006. Rehabbing Welker > Troy Brown.

In 2006, Gaffney had 116 yards receiving the entire year. Since he was playing split-end, we'll compare him to Branch. This season, so far, Deion Branch has hauled in 270 yards worth of passes. As a Patriot, Branch has hauled in 158 yards worth of passes. In three games, Branch has surpassed Gaffney's total for the entire season. But since we know what Gaffney did down the road in the playoffs that year, I'll give you Gaffney over Branch. Although the gap between the two is not nearly as wide as you're making it out to be.

In '06, Caldwell was our leading receiver with 762 yards. Can you name me a worse flanker that Brady has had to work with in his career? And before you say Tate, that might not be a fair comparison. Like I said, Tate certainly hasn't lived up to preseason promise, but if we're using the "rehabbing" excuse for Welker, it should be applied to Tate as well. On top of that, Tate is realistically in his rookie season here and there's certainly room to improve.

What about tight ends? In 2006, Graham hauled in 235 yards worth of passes while Watson pulled in 643. Not bad considering Watson, a tight end, was legitimately the only threat that we had to go deep that year (another negative mark on the receiving corps as a whole). Eight weeks through their rookie seasons, Gronkowski and Hernandez as a duo have already hauled in 489 yards in passes. That's not even considering their output today. As rookies, Gronkowski and Hernandez are poised to surpass Graham's and Watson's 2006 production, and that's considering the fact that neither one of these guys are the team's #1 deep threat the way Watson was for the 2006 team. Hernandez and Gronkowski > Watson and Graham. Now, blocking might be another story there. Graham was an excellent blocker and is better than Gronkowski is at this point. However, the argument isn't about blocking.

...BOTTOM LINE
I disagree with Deus. The 2006 receivers are not clearly better than the 2010 group. However, when all factors are considered, absent some improvement, the passing game in 2006 was better than its counterpart in 2010. HOWEVER, arguments can be made either way.

Unfortunately, I find it very, very sad that the 2010 passing game is comparable to 2006 rather than 2007 or 2009.

Kontra and yourself both seem to have misread my post:

The 2006 wide receivers were much better than the 2010 wide receivers as currently constituted. Gaffney is head and shoulders above anything the Patriots are putting out there right now, and he wasn't even that team's #1 WR*. This is what happens when you get rid of your WR1 in mid-season, and replace him with an oft-injured WR3/WR4.

*Not meant as a knock on Welker, who's trying to come back from the ACL injury.

I made no mention of the tight ends.

Sorry, but I don't have time to read the thread, but I expect Brady to be able to hit an open receiver on a 5 yd out ACCURATELY, and yesterday he didn't...plain and simple. He missed at least 4 (off the top of my head) open receivers in the short flat yesterday. As well as several guys deeper.

Hey it happens. It seem like he was high on this throws down the middle and on the deep outs. He just had a bad day, just like a lot of other guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes