PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Available Recievers?

I thought a few calls were questionable, but the overall gameplan was pretty solid.

Except for that pitch to Ridley on 2nd down late in the fourth. WTF was that?

any pitch, in the rain, to ridley (after last week) was questionable in my mind

at that point of the game, it was almost criminal

Cap space is irrelevant. Talent and system match is hard to find.

lets give t.o or moss a chance l0l. i think we could use a veteran on this team
Yes. Why not just bring back Chad Johnson?

People still need to remember these rookies didn't have a lot of snaps with Brady in the preseason games, which might be alright for a veteran but rookies in this offense it is some what significant.

1st game- 16 snaps. But really Brady only played 1 series against the Eagles. That first series was all running.
2nd game- 23 snaps/2 series and it was the Brady/Amendola show
3rd game- Played the first half
4th game- Brady didn't play at all.

Your post hits the nail on the head. Brady had a lot of reps with Amendola but not with the rookies. Bringing in veteran wide receivers won't help
one bit since they would be starting from zip. The Patriots have to tough it out with the rookies and hope Gronk returns for game 4. Who knows
when Amendola will return? Bad move by BB and Kraft letting durable
Welker leave.

Disagree. Jets loaded up against the run. They could because they didn't need safety help deep. Run game was futile. Maybe poor execution by the OL as well, but I can't tell.

Jets needed to hit Edes at the LOS and they would have won.

I agree. 20 carries for 51 yards between Ridley and Blount is not something the Patriots needed to keep exploring. The Jets had a pretty solid defensive game plan last night. Milliner was terrible and got benched, which is why Dobson seemed to be open a lot, but the only time he really hurt the Jets is his first catch, when the Jets blew a coverage and left him wide open.

Without that, the Jets might have held the Patriots to 10 points or fewer.

Your post hits the nail on the head. Brady had a lot of reps with Amendola but not with the rookies. Bringing in veteran wide receivers won't help
one bit since they would be starting from zip. The Patriots have to tough it out with the rookies and hope Gronk returns for game 4. Who knows
when Amendola will return? Bad move by BB and Kraft letting durable
Welker leave.

Welker. Had. A. Major. Knee. Injury.

And he missed two games in 2009 with a knee injury.

I swear, people talk like Welker has literally never been hurt.

I would rather watch rookie growing pains than watch the painful Deion Branch or Brandon 'ZERO YAC' Lloyd.

I agree. 20 carries for 51 yards between Ridley and Blount is not something the Patriots needed to keep exploring. The Jets had a pretty solid defensive game plan last night. Milliner was terrible and got benched, which is why Dobson seemed to be open a lot, but the only time he really hurt the Jets is his first catch, when the Jets blew a coverage and left him wide open.

Without that, the Jets might have held the Patriots to 10 points or fewer.

On the other hand, the Pats WR blew past Jets DB's so many times that they were literally inches from a blowout several times.

The Jets wouldn't have held the Pats to anything. The Pats were holding themselves to 13 points. Giving the Jets credit for WR's dropping passes or Brady being off the mark is ridiculous.

They are a great D against the run, but unless their game plan counted on the Pats dropping numerous uncontested balls then I don't think you could call it 'solid defensive game plan'.

I think continuing to be so successful as we have been lessens the urgency to bring in vet receivers for Brady.

It shouldn't. Brady is 36, and this team is a contender for a SB. To cheap out at such a crucial position, when you have the cash to make a move, is foolish imo.

Not sure who is available, but I did notice some 6'3, 210+ lbs WR in a Patriot uniform streaking by the Jets defense all night. Maybe if we give him more than 40 snaps in the NFL, he might turn into something.

Some future offseason I hope to savor the resign-the-beast squeals of his present detractors :p

On the other hand, the Pats WR blew past Jets DB's so many times that they were literally inches from a blowout several times.

The Jets wouldn't have held the Pats to anything. The Pats were holding themselves to 13 points. Giving the Jets credit for WR's dropping passes or Brady being off the mark is ridiculous.

They are a great D against the run, but unless their game plan counted on the Pats dropping numerous uncontested balls then I don't think you could call it 'solid defensive game plan'.

You're pointing to the drops, but you're ignoring how bad Milliner played. You can't excuse one without the other. "literally inches" means nothing. 13 points, 7 of which came on a busted coverage, means something. The Jets game plan was very solid.

It shouldn't. Brady is 36, and this team is a contender for a SB. To cheap out at such a crucial position, when you have the cash to make a move, is foolish imo.

Cheap out? In the past three years NE has invested in receivers as such:

A $40mm multi-year contract
Another $40mm multi-year contract
A $30mm multi-year contract
A $3mm per year deal
A $6mm deal that also required a 5th and 6th rounder
2nd and 4th round picks.

A $3mm per year deal
2nd and 4th round picks.

Yeah, but they didn't sign all of those other available guys, too. Sheesh. :D

A $3mm per year deal
2nd and 4th round picks.

Keep in mind had one of those players not been charged with murder and the other not needed offseason back surgery, if both play, I wonder how much more productive these rookies would have been. But hindsight is always 20/20. Both instances happened around the June/July mark I believe, which was well past free agency. I'm pretty sure had Belichick known what was coming with Hernandez (oh wait...how could he not have according to some :rolleyes: ) they would have spent in free agency differently.

Last edited:
whatever happened to my steve breaston? :p

You're pointing to the drops, but you're ignoring how bad Milliner played. You can't excuse one without the other. "literally inches" means nothing. 13 points, 7 of which came on a busted coverage, means something. The Jets game plan was very solid.

You are saying that Milliner played bad, which is the same thing as saying that Mr. 1st round draft pick was getting abused by Dobson.

It isn't that Dobson played well in at least getting himself open.

Nay, it was merely that Milliner wrecked the Jets fabulous defensive game plan by playing poorly.

The Jets game plan means nothing. Milliner looked bad because he was getting beaten. The Jets game plan appears to have been, let's stop the run and hope the Pats keep missing on deep balls where their corners are beaten by 5 yards.

Oh and '7 of which came on a busted coverage'. Actually 7 came on a beautifully designed offensive play.

So all of their good plays were game plan and their bad ones were just blown coverages or Milliner not being able to cover anyone. Sounds about right.

Why bring in some JAG who will stunt the development of the rookies? Pats could go 8-6 or 7-7 the rest of the way and still win the division, take the rough and the smooth with the rookies, let them get comfortable in the offense and playing in the NFL - it will help the team more in the long run.

Would losing a playoff game be worth developing a rookie? This team needs help. We can't lose games because these guys aren't ready.

I would rather watch rookie growing pains than watch the painful Deion Branch or Brandon 'ZERO YAC' Lloyd.

You can't get YAC if you can't catch the ball. Lloyd can move the chains.

No better teaching tool than real game experience for rookie wide receiver(s). Josh McDaniels and Tom Brady will have to suck it up this season.

i'ts week 2 guys, and Dobsons first NFL game of his career and he's being thrust into a top receiver role....if he looks this lost week 6, i'll give it to you but im not sure there is anyone out there who is an "answer" is it Deion branch or any of the other vet min receivers? i dont think so.

our best bet is getting Amendola and Gronk healthy and hoping that come week 6 our Rookies are at least up to speed enough to contribute

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back