PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Assante speaks about his contract negotiations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Albert Breer Metro West Daily news:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=187915

He won't report to the offseason program but it doesn't sound like that big a deal.

"Shavers did say that Samuel will not report to the team’s offseason program, scheduled to open a week from today, without a new deal in place. While franchise-tagged free agents are allowed to participate, most stay away as a measure to protect their financial interests."

“I’m not going to talk too much about (the negotiations),” Samuel said. “But they’re happy, I’m happy, so everybody else should be happy too.”

Done:)

Clements deal is not 8/80

Very encouraging, though David Givens also teased us in a similar fashion, but perhaps that was the old days.

Anyway, people have got to stop referencing the Clements deal as 8/80. It is literally impossible for that deal to be 8/80 because there is an option bonus at the end of the first year that voids the $16-million final year. There are two possibilities for that deal: he gets cut after one year or it is a 7 year deal for $64 million.
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=119&p=2&c=623755

8/80 is a complete fabrication.

Thats heartening news for sure.

As the poster above me noted the $80million/8 year deal is a fabrication of an agent was wants the 'biggest deal in history' to go on his resume to show other potential clients.

What we should also remember is that the cap seems to be increasing in leaps and bounds - and that a deal that may look on the expensive side today wont look that way in a couple of years time.

The reporter tried every trick in the book - the Nate Clements hint, the potential draft replacement for Asante...the works.

This would be tremendous. Right now Hobbs is the only CB signed past 2007, and there aren't a ton of Patriots-style CBs in the draft. You don't have to consider Asante an elite shut-down corner to want to see him sign long term.

This is just fantastic. I'm (obviously) a huge Asante guy, so I'll be doing cartwheels when this deal gets done.

Are we bumping up against the cap? I'm all for signing Asante to a friendly deal, but i'm very worried that we'll be hard pressed to sign Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork.

Are we bumping up against the cap? I'm all for signing Asante to a friendly deal, but i'm very worried that we'll be hard pressed to sign Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork.

I've seen a couple of people say this...are you projecting future cap years? Warren's signed through 2008, Wilfork through 2009.

1. We've got the long term space for Ty.

2. Wilfork has another three years under contract. We should really not be thinking about this for another year, unless he's willing to give us a sweet heart deal. [If I remember correctly, we got the bonus year by getting him to fire his agent.]

3. We can certainly afford to sign Asante to a long term deal if he turns into a consistently great corner.

Asante will only be intolerably expensive if he doesn't provide enough talent to equal the money that the Pats provide.

2. Wilfork has another three years under contract. We should really not be thinking about this for another year, unless he's willing to give us a sweet heart deal. [If I remember correctly, we got the bonus year by getting him to fire his agent.]

That was Watson.

I've seen a couple of people say this...are you projecting future cap years? Warren's signed through 2008, Wilfork through 2009.

Warren is a concern right now. The next Super Bowl will be played in 2008. So, we have him for one more year. Am I getting this wrong? I thought he was a free agent come next march.

One more year left?

Warren is a concern right now. The next Super Bowl will be played in 2008. So, we have him for one more year. Am I getting this wrong? I thought he was a free agent come next march.

One more year left?

The calendar year/league year thing gets confusing, but warren has two seasons left.

One more year left?

When people refer to someone as signed through a certain year the usually mean that he is signed for the season that starts that year. In the case being, Warren being signed through 2008 would mean he becomes a UFA in march 2009.
I don't know if this is the case in this instance though.

Thanx, Odli, for the scoop and link
... and pats1 for the transcript !

Warren is signed through 2008.

Here are a few applicable definitions of the word through:

Through
–preposition
1. in at one end, side, or surface and out at the other: to pass through a tunnel; We drove through Denver without stopping. Sun came through the window.
2. past; beyond: to go through a stop sign without stopping.
3. from one to the other of; between or among the individual members or parts of: to swing through the trees; This book has passed through many hands.
4. over the surface of, by way of, or within the limits or medium of: to travel through a country; to fly through the air.
5. during the whole period of; throughout: They worked through the night.
6. having reached the end of; done with: to be through one's work.
7. to and including: from 1900 through 1950.
8. by the means or instrumentality of; by the way or agency of: It was through him they found out.
9. by reason of or in consequence of: to run away through fear.
10. in at the first step of a process, treatment, or method of handling, passing through subsequent steps or stages in order, and finished, accepted, or out of the last step or stage: The body of a car passes through 147 stages on the production line. The new tax bill finally got through Congress.
–adverb
11. in at one end, side, or surface and out at the other: to push a needle through; just passing through.
12. all the way; along the whole distance: This train goes through to Boston.
13. throughout: soaking wet through.
14. from the beginning to the end: to read a letter through.
15. to the end: to carry a matter through.
16. to a favorable or successful conclusion: He barely managed to pull through.
–adjective
17. having completed an action, process, etc.; finished: Please be still until I'm through. When will you be through with school?
18. at the end of all relations or dealings: My sister insists she's through with selfish friends.
19. passing or extending from one end, side, or surface to the other.
20. traveling or moving to a destination without changing of trains, planes, etc.: a through flight.
21. (of a road, route, way, course, etc., or of a ticket, routing order, etc.) admitting continuous or direct passage; having no interruption, obstruction, or hindrance: a through highway; through ticket.
22. (of a bridge truss) having a deck or decks within the depth of the structure. Compare deck (def. 16).
23. of no further use or value; washed-up: Critics say he's through as a writer.
—Idiom
24. through and through,
a. through the whole extent of; thoroughly: cold through and through.
b. from beginning to end; in all respects: an aristocrat through and through.
[Origin: bef. 900; ME (prep. and adv.), metathetic var. of thourgh, OE thurh, c. G durch; akin to OE therh, Goth thairh through, OHG derh perforated, OE thyrel full of holes (adj.), hole (n.).

Happy learning!

On Fox25 when asked how his future as a Patritot is looking he said "Its looking very good"

Wow, good news, thanks for the lookout - I would be pleasantly surprised if these two sides could agree on something long term.

Re: Samuel optimistic in interview with Butch Stearns

I just watched the interview, I was impressed both my Asante and there was a cute girl in the background. That never hurts.

It may have been the longest interview I have ever seen with Samuel. He came away as a guy who really knew the other players (Thomas, Stallworth, Welker) and didn't just provide the cliche response.

Lets hope something works out here as well...

http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pag...Y&pageId=6.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft