PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asomugha to JEST a good thing!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy to have one...but I can't think of a tandem that competes with Aso & Revis OTOH. Not only are they, by far, the best two corners in the game right now, they might be the best two corners in the last couple decades. These guys are doing epic things on the field, and teams won't even throw against them.
Yeah those Raiders were pretty epic.
There are a lot of guys with rings who have been more 'epic'.

Prime was a better tandem alone.

Looks like the Niners are pulling out and the 'Boys have entered the scene with two revolvers. :yeeha:

Loser gets Newman.

Give me Prime, G.O.A.T

Revis has been very impressive though, very very good cover corner.

Darrelle Revis or Nnamdi Asomugha: Who Is the Best Cornerback in the NFL? | Bleacher Report
Revis is a shutdown corner that plays across from the No. 1 receiver on the other team on almost every play. Asomugha plays on the left side of the field on almost every play, regardless of where the other team's No. 1 guy is.
Revis has a lot more targets than Asomugha does, though, which gives him a much higher chance of making plays. Obviously Revis is pitted against the No. 1 receiver, and most teams can't afford to totally let go of their No. 1 guy for a game. Revis had 111 targets last year vs. Asomugha's 28 targets.
This idea isn't as crazy as it seems, because in reality the stats show that Asomugha isn't targeted as much because he doesn't stay on the No. 1 receiver every play. In Oakland Raiders games last year the No. 1 receiver from the opposing team was targeted over 110 times, with Asomugha being the covering corner for 15 of those passes.

The Jets opponents targeted their No. 1 receiver a little over 100 times, with Revis being the corner on 78 of those pass attempts. Teams tend to go at their No. 1 guy about the same amount of times for a season no matter who covers them, but if you know that they will not be lined up against the best corner then it is very possible that they would pass to him on plays in which he is mismatched.
Asomugha, more often than not, is lined up against lesser receivers and is not targeted very often, because he is without doubt a good corner lined up against lesser receivers, but when teams did target him last year, quarterbacks had a passer rating of 98.1 versus a 32.3 rating against Revis, even with Revis usually being on the better receiver.

I don't see Nnamdi as much of an upgrade over Octodad. Let the Jets blow through their remaining cap room. Their luck with injuries won't continue forever.

Prime was a better tandem alone.

Give me the CB who can tackle.

Besides, all these other CBs worked in a different age. It's tougher to be a CB now.

What Revis is doing, frankly, we never thought was going to be done again.

Again, I think he can thank the officials for that to some extent, but still.

Yeah those Raiders were pretty epic.
There are a lot of guys with rings who have been more 'epic'.

I adjust for degree of difficulty. The ability to shut down outside receivers was considered extinct with the new CB rules until Revis & Asomugha started doing it again.

I adjust for degree of difficulty. The ability to shut down outside receivers was considered extinct with the new CB rules until Revis & Asomugha started doing it again.

What? You mean Bill Polian has been asleep at the competition committee switch failing to modify the league rules to enhance Peyton's passing attack?

The jets are depleting their offense

You need a history lesson.

I'd say Revis and Aso would certainly crack that list. But a lot of people need to remember that 'best in the nfl right now' and 'best ever' are two different things.

What? You mean Bill Polian has been asleep at the competition committee switch failing to modify the league rules to enhance Peyton's passing attack?

Sadly, there is a simple solution - and that is to apply the current NFL rules to Darrelle Revis.

At this point in time, that does not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back